Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
1healthylady
Registered Users

I'm sick, DD is sick and I'm worried about my supply

It's 1:30pm and DD has nursed for a total of maybe 30 minutes since 5am. I know she's not getting enough. She hasn't had enough wet diapers. She's too congested to eat well and is sleeping way more than normal (not the case during the night though). DH is bringing home pedialyte to add to expressed milk when she wakes up. Which means I'll have to pump. But I'm too tired to pump all the time. I did first thing this morning because I was so uncomfortable. I feel like I should he pumping every couple hours when she's not eating, but it seems so exhausting. I know my supply will probably go down just with being sick, and then without enough stimulation on top of it. Will my milk come back after we get over this funk?

Sorry for the whiny post. Just tired and don't feel good.

From the phone.

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have a little sick, congested baby too Its so sad! However, mine just wants to use my boob as a human pacifier all night and day. How old is she? Unless she is brand new, I think either pumping or nursing at least every 4 hours should be enough to maintain your supply. You can try giving her expressed bm with a medicine syringe or small cup...that might be easier since she wont have to form suction. I don't think I would do pedialyte unless she seems dehydrated....just keep offering a few tsps of bm frequently. I hope you feel better and your LO too!

ETA. Our bodies are so amazing. Your milk will change in composition to meet her needs. If she is dehydrated, your body will make your milk content higher in water, sugar and electrolytes.

Last edited by juliasmom; 02-20-2013 at 01:25 PM.
juliasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
1healthylady
Registered Users

Re: I'm sick, DD is sick and I'm worried about my supply

She drank about 1oz of the BM/pedialyte mixture and a little later she finally nursed for 30minutes! That doubled her nursing time for the day! I'm going to try to go back to work tomorrow - I've been out 3 days already - so I worry about going back to work and not having her stimulate my milk too. But who knows, maybe they'll call and tell me she's still too sick to be there. She had a high fever for 3 days before it turned into an all out cold. If we could have a few more 30 minute nursing sessions I'd feel better about it, but we're going to bed early tonight!
Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

We've been struggling with this too. I was sick all last week and so was my 3 month old. He got so bad he lost 6 oz and ended up on a nebulizer. We were using a syringe to feed him as he couldn't swallow he was coughing so much. He wouldn't take a bottle but was nursing OK. I WOH so I pump a lot. He has only been eating half his normal amount the last 2 days which is a big improvement from this past weekend.

My pediatrician said he will do some catch up eating when he is ready. I think it will be today or tomorrow as he is finally breathing better. Hang in there, it is rough at times. You gotta take care of yourself first so make sure to get lots of rest and drink fluids!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I've been sick twice since my DD was born 2 months ago. Both times my supply dipped a bit, but I would pump regularly to keep my supply up. We are still doing very well. Good luck to you!
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
1healthylady
Registered Users

Well I'm at work. DH took her to daycare today, but I know I didn't send enough milk for a regular day. Hopefully she's not into playing catch up until the weekend when I can be home all day with her again. My freezer stash is getting so low, like maybe eight 3-5oz bags left. I'm just waiting for that call from daycare that she's out of milk so I have to go get her. Nursing in bed followed by a nap sounds like an amazing afternoon!

I'm taking Sudafed, which is really helping me, but I wonder if that has an effect on my milk supply. Regardless, I'm countering it with lots of Fenugreek.

Hope your LO is feeling better, Van. That sounds so scary!
Go Gators!
Old 02-21-2013, 11:11 PM   #7
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The Sudafed can definitely have an effect! I took it once with my first child and decided not to take it again while breastfeeding because I noticed a drop in supply, and I rarely have that problem.