Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

For the love of reading group! ~FEBRUARY~ *Join us!*

Do You Like to Read? Do you want to make reading a bigger part of your life OR are you already an avid reader but want someplace to discuss books and get book recommendations?

WELCOME!

This will be a monthly thread where we’ll set personal goals for reading, as well as discussing books. This also can be a place for you to keep track of how many/what books you’re reading to your kids, if you’d like.

How to Get Started:
First set a goal for yourself! You can challenge yourself to read a certain amount of pages or books per month/year. This is OPTIONAL - if you don’t want a goal that’s fine. Having one is just a tool to help some of us make sure we’re reading but its not a requirement to join in
If you do decide to set a personal goal you can post it here but you DON'T have to if you'd rather keep it private-this is NOT a competition and there is no prize for reading the most books lol!
Do whatever YOU want to do and most of all HAVE FUN with reading!

Second-get a book and start reading! When you’re done with a book it would be great if you could talk about it here-you don’t have to do a chapter by chapter summary but just a sentence or two about why you like/dislike it. This will help others find new books to enjoy themselves

And feel free to join in at any time! I've taken lead in starting this month's thread, but if anyone wants to start the new months if I forget - please do!

Advertisement

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Rainfall
Registered Users
seller

Re: For the love of reading group! ~FEBRUARY~ *Join us!*

It's February already! Whatcha kicking off the month with?

I'm still working on Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. Great read, it's just really long and I've been super busy around the house and visiting with my mom who's in town for a few weeks. I started a new audiobook not long ago, but only got an hour into it so I haven't formed an opinion yet. The first host of my local book club has selected our February read and it sounds pretty good. It's The Woodcutter by Kate Danley. So I'll be reporting on that this month once I get a copy.

Earning FREE Amazon.com gift cards using Swagbucks!
Rainfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
vatblack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Okay, in January I bragged about reading two books: one actual book and one audio book.

The book arrived at 700 pages long! The audio book had 7 cds. So, it took me till today to finish it all.

Now I'm on the 2nd audio book in the series: Odyssey of the West part II: The Romans

I will only be reading work-related journals for a while. Then, I think, non-fiction.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm workin on Stephen kings 11/22/63 but I have the attention span of a goldfish lately so reading has been challenging.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:12 PM   #5
toutoute
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just finished Divergent and Insurgent. Cannot wait for the third book.

Meanwhile, I just started Legend. I am reading about a book a week which is not bad but will change once baby comes in May. Hoping to read about a book a month with 3 kids.
toutoute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
lil_jodi
Registered Users

My Mood:

I finished Gone Girl and while I thought the book was good and kept me wanting to know what was going to happen next, I was a bit let down by the ending.

Now I am about 30% into Blackberry Winter and love it so far. Really has me wanting to read, read, read.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
threestraycats
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

oooh, loved Blackberry Winter (have you read all of Sarah Jio's books?). Her new one is coming out soon, Last Camellia.

I just finished Daughters of the Witching Hill--very good.

I am waiting for my new book to arrive, The Widow's War.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #8
SDJeannieZ3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm glad to have found this group!

I have Divergent in my wishlist & I'm kicking myself for not getting it on my Kindle when I had the chance to get it for free!

I just finished Maelyn (a free book on my Kindle) and I really liked it. It was a cute, quick read with plenty of plot & fun characters. The premise is 9 orphaned girls who were adopted by the King & Queen as infants and raised as the princesses of the realm. Their parents are dead now and there is division in the kingdom as to whether or not they are legitimate rulers. Maelyn is the oldest and therefore more "in charge". The series is planned to have a book about each of the princesses, and I am assuming that it will continue the post that was started in the first book.

I am in the middle of Love & Logic as well as the first book in the Brotherband Chronicles by John Flanigan. It is a spin-off from another series he did called The Ranger's Apprentice, which I loved. I have also got about 20% of the way through Great Expectations (which Hubby & I were supposed to be reading together, but I hit a snag & he powered through without me!). I too am a book-a-week girl, and have the attention span of a goldfish which is why I often read YA books, but lately I can't seem to get any reading done... something about these 3 kids and the rest of our busy life. I miss reading. Oh! I've also started The Dress, but I haven't gotten in to it quite yet although it seems good.
SDJeannieZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
lil_jodi
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by threestraycats View Post
oooh, loved Blackberry Winter (have you read all of Sarah Jio's books?). Her new one is coming out soon, Last Camellia.

I just finished Daughters of the Witching Hill--very good.

I am waiting for my new book to arrive, The Widow's War.

This is the first Sarah Jio book I have read and I'm cruising through it (for me and my reading speed with all the kiddo stuff we have). I will likely look into more by her though because I need books that make me want to read and stay up later to read more, and I definitely want to know what happens next with this one.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #10
TTbooboochild
Registered Users

My Mood:
Okay! Almost done w/clan of cave bears, going on to the next.....BUT I was interrupted by this new movie Lore, which is from a book The Dark Room, which looks cRaZy good!! So I'm gonna read it, check out the trailer to that movie people.
The books gonna be insane! I'm reading it!
(Then rent the movie)
TTbooboochild is offline   Reply With Quote