Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:
Angry Vacation rental discrimination!

I found a condo that sleeps 8 and requested more information about rates and such. The manager of the property contacted me and asked how many in our party and ages. I responded that there were 2 adults and 5 children ages 3-13. I was told the unit was rented the week that we requested so I asked about the rest of June or May- rented. July or August- rented through September.
I felt that it didn't sound right so I requested information to another email address this time for 4 adults, no children- surprise the unit is available and for a great price!

Advertisement

Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #2
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Vacation rental discrimination!

A lot of the condo rentals are privately owned and contracted through an agency. Unfortunately, the owners can dictate who they will allow to stay in their unit. I am a big fat meanie and would call them and tell them exactly what you did so they know they are caught in their game though.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s@hmommy View Post
A lot of the condo rentals are privately owned and contracted through an agency. Unfortunately, the owners can dictate who they will allow to stay in their unit. I am a big fat meanie and would call them and tell them exactly what you did so they know they are caught in their game though.
It can be added on the site that the unit is not child friendly! It specifically says perfect FAMILY vacation!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
Old 02-04-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Some only like older kids though, so they don't want to say it isn't kid friendly. We tried to rent one and they wouldn't let any kids under 10 in their unit, but it didn't state that in their listing.
s@hmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Isnt that illegal?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
Old 02-04-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
Isnt that illegal?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
I plan to find out!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
3Munchkins1togrow
Registered Users
seller

Unfortunately, this is more common than you would think. We recently moved and had to rent a home sight unseen. I contacted several people who were happy to send us additional pictures and complete the process online, until they found out we had 4 small children. Then the excuses started flying. I had one guy actually tell me how great and spacious a place was, he was more than happy to work with us online, etc.etc.etc. As soon as he found out about the kids he said, I don't think this place is right for you, it's much too small. When I said it was the same square footage as our current house, he just talked himself into a hole. One bedroom wasn't actually a bedroom, so I asked why he listed it as a bedroom if it wasn't, then it met all the requirements of a bedroom and can be listed as a bedroom per the state, but it wasn't actually one. When I said if it's fine with the state it should be fine for us, he continued to insist it was going to be too small and made an excuse to get off of the phone. We has similar problems when we rented a home for a vacation. When they said family, they meant 1 with 2 kids, not 4, especially not 4 small children. We just had to keep looking until we found someone ok with a "large" family It's total discrimination, and completely unfair, but there isn't much that can be done.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

unfortunately it's not illegal
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not cool. People with a tribe need reasonable vacation rentals too
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
At the very least I will review the manager everywhere on line that I can!