Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #21
raymark
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Vacation rental discrimination!

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
If she hae lied she wouldn't have been refused the vacation home. Also middle age people rented my mothers home. They did a number on it.
Sorry, I did not claim she lied. But she also read my post as if I had, so I responded to her to better explain myself. I was just trying to inform that the owners standards can & often do change, but of course renters can't get away with anything but full honesty.

Advertisement

raymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #22
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Maybe they had a previous bad experience with damage from many children. I know if I had a vacation rental I wouldn't rent to a group of college age kids, because they have a reputation for causing damage. I have four kids, so a large family doesn't enter my mind for being particularly risky for damages, but maybe they have had other experiences.....

I think when you talk about people renting out their personal property, they have a right to be picky. I would be. I would rather stay in a rental whose owners are particular about their guests and condition of their property than one whose owners aren't. I might even offer up references (if I had them) if I felt like they were worried about damages from my young kids.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #23
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by syfitz View Post
Maybe they had a previous bad experience with damage from many children. I know if I had a vacation rental I wouldn't rent to a group of college age kids, because they have a reputation for causing damage. I have four kids, so a large family doesn't enter my mind for being particularly risky for damages, but maybe they have had other experiences.....

I think when you talk about people renting out their personal property, they have a right to be picky. I would be. I would rather stay in a rental whose owners are particular about their guests and condition of their property than one whose owners aren't. I might even offer up references (if I had them) if I felt like they were worried about damages from my young kids.
I might agree if this was like a craigslist ad but this was on a public site and this unit is managed by a realtor. You can't put "children welcome" in your listing description and then discriminate against a family with 5 children. I explained the situation to the site and they are filing a formal complaint- so they agree with me too. Also, I have reviewed the realtor on 4 different websites- his potential clients need to know he is dishonest. The owner can put whatever legal restrictions they like for people that stay in their property but they can't list one thing and then go against it.
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #24
HeidiMarie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would be mad as well! It's not like your taking a dozen! And so what if you were! : ) I just booked a rental for October for 7, possibly 10, kids and 2 adults with no questions asked. I'm sorry! Hope you get it worked out or find a better place to stay!
Old 02-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #25
meesh38
Registered Users
seller

I would be upset too mama. It's hard to find a vacation spot for a large familly. I DO think, however, that if you own a rental you should be able to decide what types of people rent it. I'm all for people being allowed to do with their property what they want. It should state that in the description though as not to lead people on.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #26
mississippimommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fair Housing Act
Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and disability. More on the Fair Housing Act
mississippimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #27
4boys1girlforme
Registered Users
Previously: 4boysforme
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimommy View Post
Fair Housing Act
Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 (Fair Housing Act), as amended, prohibits discrimination in the sale, rental, and financing of dwellings, and in other housing-related transactions, based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians, pregnant women, and people securing custody of children under the age of 18), and disability. More on the Fair Housing Act
Exactly!
Lee Ann RN student/ SAHM to Jaret '00, Spencer '03, Preston '05 (CLW at 37 months), Griffin '08 by VBAC (CLW at 21 months), & Mallory '10 by VBAC (CLW at 43 months)! Formerly tandem & bfing for a combined total of nearly 11 years! Also cloth diapering & baby wearingMy HUGE FSOT
4boys1girlforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimommy View Post
Fair Housing Act
Haha I knew there was a reason I thought it should be against the law.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #29
kaia.aline
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimommy
Fair Housing Act
Wouldn't this be different since its a vacation spot not an actual place she plans on living? I think the fair housing act is to make sure people have a place to live.

Ask me how to earn FREE jewelry and other amazing deals from Lia Sophia!
kaia.aline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #30
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia.aline View Post
Wouldn't this be different since its a vacation spot not an actual place she plans on living? I think the fair housing act is to make sure people have a place to live.
I agree
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote