Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Donation ?

For mama's who donate while still feeding your own babies, how do you do it? What is your pumping schedule like? I have a friend who adopted and would love to supply her new baby with BM. But don't know how to balance between my 3.5 month old and pumping!

Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Donation ?

feed on one side pump one side. then next round switch. ddonated almost 2000 oz to milk bank & was going to give to friend.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:

I always fed my baby on one side and pumped on the other for my donor baby. Kinda like feeding twins I guess.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

But what if my baby nurses on both sides per feeding?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #5
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

It's very hard for someone to do this. It usually works easiest for moms who have over supply. Over supply is basically the moms who get 5-10 ounces a pump session (with 2-3 hours between sessions) that's a lot of milk. And not the amount a singleton should consume. So it's over supply. You can try to give urself over supply. Sometimes it works. Pump after every single feeding and pump thru the night- every 2-3 hours.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
It's very hard for someone to do this. It usually works easiest for moms who have over supply. Over supply is basically the moms who get 5-10 ounces a pump session (with 2-3 hours between sessions) that's a lot of milk. And not the amount a singleton should consume. So it's over supply. You can try to give urself over supply. Sometimes it works. Pump after every single feeding and pump thru the night- every 2-3 hours.
Yowzers. Not sure I can do that. Also, I had an over supply with my ds and he was miserable. I really don't want an over supply. I guess I will just pump first thing in the morning and save what I get. Thanks so much ladies.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by palsmama

Yowzers. Not sure I can do that. Also, I had an over supply with my ds and he was miserable. I really don't want an over supply. I guess I will just pump first thing in the morning and save what I get. Thanks so much ladies.
Do that and then maybe start pumping before you go to bed? You should get a nice routine going so that you don't create an imbalance for ur wee one. Kwim? Then you can give her a bottle or two for each day.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
palsmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Do that and then maybe start pumping before you go to bed? You should get a nice routine going so that you don't create an imbalance for ur wee one. Kwim? Then you can give her a bottle or two for each day.
Yeah. That sounds good! I will do that. I feel so blessed to be able to give her anything at all. Her baby was in the NICU and she just texted me that her babies first BM was mine!! wish I could provide so much more!
Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Start slow and then just keep building sessions if you can manage and stay comfortable such a gift to give!!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
PurpleDaffodil
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I give a friend at church one bottle a day, I'd love to pump more and sometimes feel guilty for not giving her more, but one session is all i can manage with my little one.