Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
EBF'ing after Breast Reduction?

Hi ladies,

I am new here and am looking for some support. I apologize if this has been posted somewhere else, I tried doing a search and did not find anything on this topic.
Is anyone or has anyone EBF after breast reduction? A bit of a background. I had my breast reduction aprox. 15 years ago. When I gave birth to my first son 10 years ago I had absolutely no support at all and was unable to EBF my son (had to supplement). This go around I would like to attempt doing this for the LO coming and avoid supplementing. I am unsure and do not remember the specifics on my procedure. If you have any books or suggestions on the matter I am welcome to suggestions. This is for me one of the best gifts I could provide for any of my children.... Thanks in advance for your answers and support.

Advertisement

nachoslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Huxley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: EBF'ing after Breast Reduction?

I supplemented my daughter from six weeks to five months. I introduced solids a few weeks after she hit six months. She's eleven months and still breastfeeds a lot.

I needed to take Domperidone, blessed thistle, goats rue, and fennugreek in order to build and maintain my supply. I didn't have support in the beginning and I think that is why I had to supplement. I was also highly stressed and got very sick.

It really bothered me to have to supplement. I wanted to find donor milk, but I couldn't. I came to terms with it though. I gave her almost all her nutrition even while supplementing, and even if I couldn't have done that, I'd still have made sure my baby was eating, happy, and healthy.

I know I didn't EBF after reduction, but I highly recommend Domperidone and the herbs. Mothers milk tea is ok, but doesn't make much of an impact on me. I also need to eat like a machine. When I was increasing my supply I ate more than my father (I'm 5'1, he was impressed) and drank water constantly. I think a big factor is being stress free and healthy.

Hope I helped somewhat.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

There is a site that is devoted to breast feeding after reduction (or other types of breast surgeries). BFAR.org

Good luck and remember that every drop is beneficial and if you must supplement, doing so at the breast is always a great option to maintain that close nursing bond.
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
birdinhand
Registered Users

Defining Your Own Success: Breastfeeding After Reduction is an excellent resource, as is bfar.org that was shared before.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
nachoslyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you so much for the replies. I will def look into the book.. I have called and scheduled an appointment with a lactation consultant to work alongside us. Hopefully this journey is less stressful than the last!
nachoslyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
Vegan Princess
Registered Users
seller

I didn't have a reduction but I got implants through the nipple and have a lot of the same issues. With my first I took fenugreek somperidone and goats rue and tried every other herb possible and still had to supplement. This time I started the herbs and Dom from day 1 and have had a full supply! You often really do have more milk with subsequent babies. I think getting the book making more milk and doing all you can do from the start and it being your 2nd baby should put you in a good position! Good luck!

Cindy
Old 02-26-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I was looking for supplements for myself (because I have struggled with low supply for both of my boys) and I saw this supplement and I thought of this thread.
http://www.motherlove.com/product/58...ial-Blend.html

It says its for people who've had breast reduction. I think I've heard that is tastes awful though.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

dp

Last edited by gingerpeachee; 02-26-2013 at 07:24 AM.
gingerpeachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #9
birdinhand
Registered Users

You can actually develop more breast tissue during pregnancy (only two times are pregnancy and puberty), and often that can make the second time around more successful.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote