Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:58 AM   #1
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
ANY FF seat for '04 Quest w/seatbelt install???

Update 2/27: Someone linked me to great directions on car-seat.org for getting my radian installed in the 3rd row. The seat was wider than the seatbelt placement in the middle position, so I put it on the outside on the passenger side. No top tether anchor in that location but it's in. I had it checked by a tech yesterday and he was impressed with the install. Yay! So middle 3rd row is my skinny 9 yo DS1 and 9 yo DD2 on the outside of him in a backless booster. DD1 is in captains chair 2nd row on passenger side and new baby seat is in captains chair on drivers side. So relieved to have this resolved and be able to keep my radians. Updated 2/6: Well I'm in carseat hell. Here is an EXCELLENT comprehensive post on the new guidelines. DS2's Radian XTSL cannot be installed with a seatbelt in any seat in my '04 Quest. The buckles are way too far forward in the 3rd row. The buckles in the captains seat are on a solid stalk that angles forward in it's most upright position. I honestly doubt I can find any harnessed seat that can be installed with a seatbelt. Forget where's the eff-me smilie?? Here are my new choices.

Option 1: Keep using the LATCH because Nissan defers to the carseat manufacturer.

Option 2: Sell my used XTSL or my brand new RXT and hunt for a new harnessed seat for DS2. (most likely does not exist).

Option 3: Sell one of the Radian's and put DS2 into a high-back booster. He JUST turned 3!

Option 4: Keep both Radians. Put infant into XTSL and put DS2 into RXT in booster mode. Great. A $214 booster.

Option 5: Buy a new vehicle that seats 7 AND can install a harnessed seat wtih seat belts.

I posted on car-seat.org a few days ago and got no responses, so trying here. Expecting baby #5 in the next couple weeks and looking for thoughts on seating arrangements in our 2004 Nissan Quest. Baby is going straight into a RF Radian RXT.

Current situation: 11 yo 5'1 and 95-100 lbs in 2nd row captains seat. 3 yo FF in Radian XTSL in 2nd row captain seat. 9 yo, 4'5"and 60 lbs in 3rd row backless booster. 9 yo, 4'7" and 60 lbs in 3rd row w/no booster. Since the 3rd row seats are smaller, he's able to sit with feet flat on the floor and belts in proper position.

Option 1: My small adult size 11 yo in the front passenger seat. 3 yo in FF Radian behind passenger seat, newborn in RF radian behind drivers seat, and 9 yo twins in current 3rd row seats. 11 yo would need to ride in middle 3rd row on any family trips. PIA due to fighting with 9 yo's also not sure if she's too big to safely sit in that less than full sized seat.

Option 2: Move 3 yo in FF Radian to middle of 3rd row between 9 yo twins. Tight fit. Mostly a PIA for buckling 9 yo in booster and requires climbing in back to buckle 3 yo. Keep 11 yo in 2nd row and put infant in RF radian behind drivers seat. Extremely convenient for keeping an eye on the baby and replacing pacifiers on long car trips.

Also, DS2 is 40 lbs clothed. Can I continue to use the SuperLatch on the XTSL? I can't seem to find out how much the seat itself weighs. I just saw something on FB about the recommendations for lower anchor weight limits changing for next year. Nissan has proven themselves USELESS for any carseat or latch info.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Last edited by mommaagain; 02-27-2013 at 06:20 PM.
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:09 AM   #2
bebeboy03
Registered Users
seller
seller

My first thought would be to put the 3 yo in the middle of the third row and the baby in the captains chair. Or the 11 yo in the third row and they could help buckle the 9 yo. Keep 3 yo in captain and new baby in captain.
cautiously expecting #4 October 2013
bebeboy03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
SuperLATCH limit- Default to your vehicles LATCH limit unless it says specifically otherwise. Some tech a here have LATCH manuals and I'm sure someone can chime in with that.

Now I need to go back and quite your post so I don't forget what I was going to say lol.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaagain
I posted on car-seat.org a few days ago and got no responses, so trying here. Expecting baby #5 in the next couple weeks and looking for thoughts on seating arrangements in our 2004 Nissan Quest. Baby is going straight into a RF Radian RXT.

Current situation: 11 yo 5'1 and 95-100 lbs in 2nd row captains seat. 3 yo FF in Radian XTSL in 2nd row captain seat. 9 yo, 4'5"and 60 lbs in 3rd row backless booster. 9 yo, 4'7" and 60 lbs in 3rd row w/no booster. Since the 3rd row seats are smaller, he's able to sit with feet flat on the floor and belts in proper position.

Option 1: My small adult size 11 yo in the front passenger seat. 3 yo in FF Radian behind passenger seat, newborn in RF radian behind drivers seat, and 9 yo twins in current 3rd row seats. 11 yo would need to ride in middle 3rd row on any family trips. PIA due to fighting with 9 yo's also not sure if she's too big to safely sit in that less than full sized seat.

Option 2: Move 3 yo in FF Radian to middle of 3rd row between 9 yo twins. Tight fit. Mostly a PIA for buckling 9 yo in booster and requires climbing in back to buckle 3 yo. Keep 11 yo in 2nd row and put infant in RF radian behind drivers seat. Extremely convenient for keeping an eye on the baby and replacing pacifiers on long car trips.

Also, DS2 is 40 lbs clothed. Can I continue to use the SuperLatch on the XTSL? I can't seem to find out how much the seat itself weighs. I just saw something on FB about the recommendations for lower anchor weight limits changing for next year. Nissan has proven themselves USELESS for any carseat or latch info.

Thanks in advance!
No advice on whether the 11 should be up front. I think the general consensus will be no he does seem large for 11, therefore may fit like an adult. I think there's question to the maturation of the pelvis and hips in a crash.

If I were me, and I've owned a Quest (and hated it for carseats), I'd put the 3yo ff in the rear center seat. If I recall correctly there's no headrest there so a bolstered kiddo wouldn't be able to sit there anyway and you'd not want your oldest to be without one either. Can you put a 9yo and 11yo on either side of him, then 9yo and baby in the captains seats? What boosters are the twins in? Could you get two harmony backless ones? They're super narrow and easy to buckle. As for buckling 3yo, can your older kids help with that? If you know the straps are properly tightened, I'd think they big enough for that. My 10yo helps my 5yo if he's having trouble (they sit in the back). It's not often but he know how to buckle him correctly.

I'd do my best to keep kids out of the front.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Seating for 5 kids in Nissan Quest

[QUOTE=mommabritt;16251072

I'd put the 3yo ff in the rear center seat.
Can you put a 9yo and 11yo on either side of him, then 9yo and baby in the captains seats? What boosters are the twins in? Could you get two harmony backless ones? They're super narrow and easy to buckle. .[/QUOTE]

I'd do this too.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
SuperLATCH limit- Default to your vehicles LATCH limit unless it says specifically otherwise. Some tech a here have LATCH manuals and I'm sure someone can chime in with that.

Now I need to go back and quite your post so I don't forget what I was going to say lol.

Here's part of my problem. Nissan can't/won't give a number. I've tried. Many times. The only thing I've ever gotten out of them is "latch to the carseat limit". Not really helpful. Finally found a weight for my XTSL. It's either 24 lbs or 27 lbs + 40 lb DS2= at or over the newer guidelines for latch limit (65 lbs combined). I'm going to see if I can get him in the rear center seat with a seatbelt install.

Anyone concerned with the safety of putting my huge 11 yo DD in the very small 3rd row seat? I can get the headrest high enough for her, but it's a cramped seat.

Thanks for the answers so far!!
Old 02-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The harmony light rider is a pretty narrow little backless booster. You could put it in back for one 9 yo, and then your other two seatless kids back there, and because it would only be one very narrow seat they wouldn't be nearly as squished.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #8
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaagain

Here's part of my problem. Nissan can't/won't give a number. I've tried. Many times. The only thing I've ever gotten out of them is "latch to the carseat limit". Not really helpful. Finally found a weight for my XTSL. It's either 24 lbs or 27 lbs + 40 lb DS2= at or over the newer guidelines for latch limit (65 lbs combined). I'm going to see if I can get him in the rear center seat with a seatbelt install.

Anyone concerned with the safety of putting my huge 11 yo DD in the very small 3rd row seat? I can get the headrest high enough for her, but it's a cramped seat.

Thanks for the answers so far!!
I think the radian will do fine in that middle seat. Remember the helpful seatbelt install tips if your buckles are forward of the bight

Can you sit her there and snap a pic? I'm sure it's fine if you raise the headrest.

Last edited by mommabritt; 02-05-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
I think the radian will do fine in that middle seat. Remember the helpful seatbelt install tips if your buckles are forward of the bight

Can you sit her there and snap a pic? I'm sure it's fine if you raise the headrest.
And these are???

I'm pretty sure I need to take the middle headrest off to get the radian in flat up against the seat back.

I'm not planning on having the 11 yr old in the 3rd row on a regular basis purely from a comfort standpoint. Also not sure if it's actually a safe seat for her. She's pretty tall.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
GirlFriday13th
Registered Users
seller
seller

Personally, I'd be more comfortable with a prepubescent kid in a third row with a lap/shoulder belt and an adjustable headrest then the front seat. But that's just me. If you really don't want your oldest back there, I'd try to do three across with the booster less 9 year old, a ff radian in the middle and the other 9 year old in the harmony backless booster so the 11 year old can have the captains' chair rather than the front seat.