Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
bobbs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Ammonia in fairly new PF's?

I am flabbergasted. I bought 6 brand new and unprepped DR bamboo PF's a few weeks ago. They have probably been washed at least 10 times by now. I went to change my son this morning after his nap, and I got a whiff of ammonia! The diaper had only been on for an hour and a half! The only time I have ever had ammonia is in our night diapers when we had a brief stint of CD'ing at night. I just switched to Tide original a few weeks ago as well (use to the 1 or 2 line), and I use Sun Oxy in every load. Cold prewash, hot wash, extra rinse. I only use cotton, with the occasional bamboo and hemp. What the heck?? Advice?

Advertisement

'ing,'ing, part-time working out of the house, full-time in the house, mom-mom to Jackson Philip 11/28/09 , Levi Garrett 5/18/12 , and Aria Joye 4/16/14, and wife to my best friend and male clone Matthew since 10/6/06.

~forever thankful to have been saved by Grace~
bobbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
dagmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ammonia in fairly new PF's?

How old is he?
dagmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

FWIW I think bamboo has a little different smell to it...it almost turned me off to bamboo but it seems to have gone away for me. Maybe it was part of the break in period? I also found that Tide powder left a heavy perfume smell that didn't smell very nice (to me), maybe that is combining with the weird bamboo smell?? Tide liquid doesn't seem to smell when wet (for us at least).
and M
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
bobbs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmomma View Post
How old is he?
14 months
'ing,'ing, part-time working out of the house, full-time in the house, mom-mom to Jackson Philip 11/28/09 , Levi Garrett 5/18/12 , and Aria Joye 4/16/14, and wife to my best friend and male clone Matthew since 10/6/06.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
bobbs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
FWIW I think bamboo has a little different smell to it...it almost turned me off to bamboo but it seems to have gone away for me. Maybe it was part of the break in period? I also found that Tide powder left a heavy perfume smell that didn't smell very nice (to me), maybe that is combining with the weird bamboo smell?? Tide liquid doesn't seem to smell when wet (for us at least).
Yeah, it's the original liquid that I'm using Hmmm.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
bobbs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Should I just suck it up and put like 1/4 a cup of bleach in every load to keep it at bay?

Old 08-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
threekstrio
Registered Users
seller

right away when I saw your title I thought "I"ll bet they're bamboo" and sure enough. I haven't bought any bamboo pf's yet for this very reason. I don't think they'll be as easy to care for as cotton pf's, but that is just totally my opinion. I'm sure they"re extra absorbent and soft and everything but I'm leary. I figured I'd wait a bit and see if this "smell" issue comes up frequently for others.

Sorry you're having an issue mama I'd be very concerned about bleaching them because in my mind bamboo is a delicate fabric.
threekstrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
bobbs7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by threekstrio View Post
right away when I saw your title I thought "I"ll bet they're bamboo" and sure enough. I haven't bought any bamboo pf's yet for this very reason. I don't think they'll be as easy to care for as cotton pf's, but that is just totally my opinion. I'm sure they"re extra absorbent and soft and everything but I'm leary. I figured I'd wait a bit and see if this "smell" issue comes up frequently for others.

Sorry you're having an issue mama I'd be very concerned about bleaching them because in my mind bamboo is a delicate fabric.
Oh dear I had heard the argument about whether or not bamboo is natural or synthetic. Everything else I have is 100% cotton. Sigh.