Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
luvinmybaby!
Registered Users
seller

Unhappy 4 month old drastic sleep pattern change

My 4 month old just went from going to bed easily and sleeping through the night (usually 6-8 hours every night) to not letting me put him down to sleep. The last two nights I would put my DS down and he immediately starts to cry. I try to sooth him by massage, sing to him, etc., but he only stops crying if I pick him back up. He just wants to be constantly held at night. He's fine during the day, just suddenly at night he stated doing this. I babywear throughout the day so it's not like he doesn't get held. Has anyone else experinced this? Suggestions as to what I should do?

I try to get him to go back to sleep without picking him up but he gradually starts to cry harder and harder. He sleeps right next to me in a pack'n'play so I'm not far. After about 1 1/2 hours of the crying on and off last night I decided everyone just needed sleep and let him sleep with me holding him. Suggestions anyone?

Advertisement

luvinmybaby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: 4 month old drastic sleep pattern change

4 month wakeful it sounds like to me. Could you put him in a different room? I moved my son at 2 months and when he had his sleep regression at 4 months I just let him CIO. He went to sleep within 5 mins. He probably just sees you and wants to be held . Poor mama!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
luvinmybaby!
Registered Users
seller

It's worth a try to put him in a different room. He does go to bed an hour before I do, so I'm not in the room with him in the beginning and he cries even if I'm out of the room. :-( I thought I was so lucky to get a good sleeper after my DD who was horrible at sleeping until age 3, so now I'm bummed.

I just did a google search on the 4 month wakeful...I didn't know about this but it looks like a bunch of people experiencing the same thing.

Did anyone else here go through the 4 month wakeful period? How long did it last?

Last edited by luvinmybaby!; 02-05-2013 at 12:33 PM.
luvinmybaby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I think it lasts about 4-6 weeks max. It just depends. Both my girls go back and forth between being great sleepers and being night time terrorists. Just how it goes sometimes...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
MIpiccolo44
Registered Users
seller
seller

You might pay attention to if he's only crying when he's laying flat, that can be a sign of ear infection =(
MIpiccolo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh true! I didn't think about the ear infection bc I saw that he was 4 months and just assumed 4 month wakeful. Ways to test for ear infection: take his temp. Anything over 98 probably means ear infection. Push on the inside of his ear just a little bit. If he screams, def an ear infection. My lo has had 4 so far. 1 where he didnt get the fever right away but the press test told me he had one.

Totally understand that CIO is easier said than done. My son was sick for 10 days straight and I had to rock him to sleep every night. Once he was better he thought the rocking would continue. He's 25 lbs and strong so that was not an option if he was not sick! I let him cry. It was soooo hard but it was worth it! Goes to sleep right away now, no crying whatsoever.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

ah... the 4month sleep regression... good luck!
lasted about 2-3 months for us

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/4mo-sleep/

http://www.babysleepsite.com/how-we-...ep-regression/

http://www.mannlymama.com/2012/12/wo...ep-regression/

http://www.askmoxie.org/2012/09/book...egression.html

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 02-05-2013 at 02:07 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are dealing with 4 month sleep regression over here. It is not fun. We've found that it seems like she is sleeping more in the day (though only 15 minutes here, 20 there, no solid naps) and then wakes up in the middle of the night. When she wakes up, she gets bored and is looking for interaction, which we obviously aren't giving her at 3 am. Sometimes I can get her back to sleep. Sometimes she is just content to lay there babbling. Usually she screams her head off while DH or I rock her or I get a boob in her mouth (which she then needs for the remainder of the night/morning).
KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

I was flummoxed when my DD1 was 4mos and went from crying when she needed something/something was wrong, to crying just to protest something. Things went much smoother (but still wasn't easy when that change happened) with DD2 as I had read Happy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child and was expecting those changes, at least!
Good luck, mama!

Last edited by MsGiggles; 02-07-2013 at 05:00 AM.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

dp

Last edited by MsGiggles; 02-07-2013 at 04:59 AM.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote