Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #11
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Throwing an adoption 'shower' or party?

I had a welcome to the family shower once my son was home.

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's a little difficult because generally parents themselves will throw an adoption party after finalization. We are "hoping" to hear within the next month or two that we will be able to adopt our foster daughter, but finalization probably wouldn't be for another half year. So I understand you wanting to throw a shower NOW and then they can do their own party after the adoption is finalized. I would be touched if someone wanted to do that for me, but it is just a pinch risky because you never know until it is finalized.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Adoption shower "Gotcha Party" something like that. I did one for my BFF this past summer. It was great
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #14
chickeedoodle
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My friend threw a party for me, and she called it a "sprinkle". My daughter was about 6 weeks old when she did it. (We have an open adoption, and the party was after term of rights, but before court finalization) it was pretty much like an old fashioned shower. Food, games, etc. Best wishes!

Last edited by chickeedoodle; 02-18-2013 at 11:12 PM.
chickeedoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
countrySt
Registered Users
seller

What a great idea!
countrySt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #16
Rainsong
Registered Users

I think you are awesome to do this for your cousin! When we finalized on 2 of our kids we had an "adoption party." It was open house style and we had pizza, chips, and cupcakes. Some ppl brought gifts & some did not, but I didn't have any expectations so that was fine. We had a blast & it is a very happy memory for us now.
Rainsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #17
trasta209
Registered Users
seller

We actually had an adoption party last summer for my son. It was more of a general party in my sons honor. We made it a big to do with ballons and catering and everything. We invited about 100 people, mostly close family & friends of ours & my parents. We did recieve gifts, but my mom wanted to make a point that gifts were not requested. We sent out an invite focusing on him. I would not call it a shower. Most likely if they are adopting from fc they have majority of what they need. They have gotten stuff as they needed it. I think some ideas are do a guest book of some sort. We did a thumbprint tree and I hung it up after the fact. I would defenatly suggest either hiring a photographer or having a person willing to be the designated photographer. That is the one thing I wish we had more of-photos. Also a wonderful gift idea is a professional photo shoot of the new family. That is also the one thing we "still" haven't done almost 6 months later
trasta209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 PM   #18
sophiasheirloombabes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Def do it, when we adopted our boys NO ONE gave anything or a shower we were so sad it's not about getting anything it's about recognizing we have a new life in our family, my husbands job gave him something but no friends and family I will never forget it
Old 03-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #19
britsuz90
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ditto to the forever family or adoption party.

Friends threw me baby showers for 3 or my 4 adopted kids, three of the kids came into our family quickly. My oldest took 5 years to finalize and we threw our own party, friends of dh gave us gift cards and toys, but we were not expecting anything. We had family only parties with the finalization of 2 & 3. Our 4th and last will be finalized in a month or so, we will be holding a big bash mainly because this is our last one and she took a while being a foster child.
britsuz90 is offline   Reply With Quote