Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Re: too much milk

Great advice here. Just wanted to add that if you pump more than you can use, there are lots of parents on milkshare.com who either adopted or cant breastfeed for whatever reason and would be extremely grateful for your extra milk.

Advertisement

threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
lovebabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption
Great advice here. Just wanted to add that if you pump more than you can use, there are lots of parents on milkshare.com who either adopted or cant breastfeed for whatever reason and would be extremely grateful for your extra milk.
Good idea! I actually donated some of the colostrum I had to pump off the top. Just don't pump toooo much, or your body will think it needs to make even more milk!
Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #13
sillymama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I second not pumping too much! Once you get going it feels so good to empty your breast but you have to resist the urge. I made the mistake of pumping too much with my first and it took months (like 6 or 7) to get my supply down. I would leak like crazy all the time. With my 2nd and 3rd I endured the 3 or 4 days of crazy engorgement and was much happier in the long run.

I definitely recommend block feeding. Do three feedings on one side then three feedings on the other side. If you need to relieve pressure hand express or use a manual pump but try not to do it after every feeding and only do a couple of ounces. Cold compresses help. I remember sleeping with ice packs on my chest. If you want to build a milk stash just pump once a day but keep in mind that lots of babies don't take bottles and it can taste different because of the colostrum than milk you will produce in two or three months time. Some babies are more sensitive to that than others. Good luck!
sillymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #14
birdinhand
Registered Users

Reverse Pressure Softening is something many moms find that helps. When you are engorged it is actually lymph that is causing you to swell and this is a way to decrease that: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...oft_cotterman/ Boy they make that seem complicated, but it is just applying pressure to move some of the swelling. YOu don't want it to hurt, but firm pressure for a minute or so and then switching positions with your fingers to try another angle can be helpful. Note it does say, for some women, pumping actually makes the swelling worse.

Also many women only nurse on one side, it is called, finish the first breast first.
Quote:
By nursing mostly on one side per feeding, the baby gets all the calories he needs in less volume of milk. When the mother's body adjusts to this way of feeding, she only makes milk to replace what the baby takes. So, she is more comfortable and less likely to leak. Her baby may be less colicky and often gains weight at a better rate. He is less likely to fight the breast since he is no longer nursing the "fire hydrant." And, he may go longer between feedings if he is having a "meal" that includes both the "appetizer" (foremilk) and the "dessert" (the hindmilk).
http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvsepoct95p69a.html

Right now your body doesn't know how many babies you are nourishing or how much milk you need to produce; every bit of milk taken out is milk that your body will try to replace -- if you need a freezer stash, this wi when many moms often create that. But optimally, you will nurse the baby only so the baby tells the body how much milk you will need to be producing and that biofeedback loop begins. In the first 6 weeks this loop is of the utmost importance as your baby and body are working together to get this right. Moms often pump-to-relief, which means pumping just enough to not feel hugely engorged but not to get 8 ounces out and drain the breast.

Congrats on your baby!

Last edited by birdinhand; 02-17-2013 at 07:05 PM.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
Stacy418
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My swelling was horrible when my milk first came in! It starts to regulate after a couple days, but if you're like me and its stays bad (I leak like a faucet still and he is 5weeks now) start pumping and saving. I figured I couldn't start my back-to-work supply too early! Good luck!
Stacy418 is offline   Reply With Quote