Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #21
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Anyone else have a kid like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie View Post
DD is always awake by the time I get in there.
If that's the case, why not take her out of the room and leave him there until he can calm down?

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #22
Alaga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My DD yells for daddy every morning too. About 1/4 of the time he goes in and gets her, but the rest of the time he just lets her yell. She's not screaming or tantruming though, just yelling "Dada!" over and over. She's in a toddler bed, so is fully capable of getting up by herself.

I'm on DS duty, so DD is DH's in the mornings unless he's gone. When that happens she knows I'm not going to get her unless we're all already up.

Can you just go get your DD (since she's prob already awake from the yelling), and tell DS he can come out when he's ready? That way she won't have to sit there while he yells, and maybe that'll send the message to him that it's not ok?

FTR - I have a niece that wakes up crabby in the AM and from nap (when she did nap-she's school-aged now). It's just how she is. My sister just left her alone in the AM until she was ready to be social. I think she just wakes up slowly? Maybe she'll be a hardcore AM coffee person in the future?

Good luck, mama. Hope everything works itself out before your new little arrives!

Alaga
Mama to DD "A" 2/23/2010 and DS "L" 4/25/2012
Alaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #23
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption

I try not to give my kids any attention whatsoever during a tantrum. It just feeds the current tantrum or gives them reason to have another in the future. Your dd doesn't deserve to be in the room w him while he's flipping out but ime giving him any attention at all will give him reason to continue. I agree with letting him deal on his own, but as I said in my pp I'd try to "ease" him into better behavior
She just started sleeping in her toddler bed in there. We have no were else to put another toddler bed in the house right now.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #24
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

If that's the case, why not take her out of the room and leave him there until he can calm down?
I could do this. Get her and leave him in there till he settles down.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
Old 02-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #25
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushie tushie

This is what we've been working on for months. He wakes up and says " please come get me." But keeps saying it louder and louder till we get to his room. Then once I open the door he starts screaming b/c he wants DH not me, but he still screams when DH goes in too.
Close the door and let him have his fit. And let him know later that you see he's making progress but he needs to *stay*calm, and that no one is going to do anything for him while he's screaming at them. Consistency in how you handle it will teach him how he can behave. It would probably make it less stressful for you your dh and dd if you put her in another room until he gets it
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #26
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Just thought of something else.... Dd used to wake up really crabby because she was hungry. Maybe you could have something ready for him, like some crackers or a cup of fruit in the fridge and a sippy w milk or kefir, and tell him when he wakes up he can go to the fridge and get his own snack, like a big kid? Maybe the novelty of it will make him want to try it, and the food in his system might help his mood. ?
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 AM   #27
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption
Just thought of something else.... Dd used to wake up really crabby because she was hungry. Maybe you could have something ready for him, like some crackers or a cup of fruit in the fridge and a sippy w milk or kefir, and tell him when he wakes up he can go to the fridge and get his own snack, like a big kid? Maybe the novelty of it will make him want to try it, and the food in his system might help his mood. ?
I can try that
At this point I'll try anything. We have tried everything we can think of so i'll do anything.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #28
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I really, honestly think - if it is just an issue where he is demanding something and not getting his way, and therefore pitching a huge fit - that the best course would be to grab DD and say firmly, "You may come out from your room when you are ready to calm down and be nice. I love you." And leave and shut the door.

This will do 2 things - show him he can't always have his way, and that screaming won't get him what he wants, and also train him (eventually) to get HIMSELF up and to do so without so much of a production.

That's my personal thoughts.

But if you think it could be some other issue, you should obviously do whatever you think will work!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #29
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki
I really, honestly think - if it is just an issue where he is demanding something and not getting his way, and therefore pitching a huge fit - that the best course would be to grab DD and say firmly, "You may come out from your room when you are ready to calm down and be nice. I love you." And leave and shut the door.

This will do 2 things - show him he can't always have his way, and that screaming won't get him what he wants, and also train him (eventually) to get HIMSELF up and to do so without so much of a production.

That's my personal thoughts.

But if you think it could be some other issue, you should obviously do whatever you think will work!
I plan on doing this and leaving a snack out as well.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #30
loving my family
Registered Users

Can he see? I ask cause my guy when he was younger and before we found out that he could not see very well (20 over 300) wouldn't get out of bed either. So he was not sure if any body was around if the house was quiet so he would start to scream and cry.
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote