Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Looks like I'm going to have a fight for IEP changes

DS is in 1st grade and we've only had minor changes to his IEP and I've never had a problem. Now we're having a problem. DS is struggling big time in math (probably realistically on a K level) and I introduced the concept of TouchMath this week and he's getting it pretty good (better than anything else we've tried so far) so I requested a meeting. The teacher calls to find out what I want to modify and I tell her:
1: using Touch Math
2: only doing addition until he can master that or become fluent in it and then moving to subtraction.

So, she immediately tells me that she doesn't think TM will work for him because of his fine motor issues to which I quickly replied that I had already introduced it and he was doing GREAT with it. (really ticked me off that she dismissed it right away...a good teacher would take the suggestion and use it...not automatically say the kid can't do it. I'm still steaming mad from that!) Then she tells me that she cannot write in a change of program but that she could use the method. And she says that she cannot do addition only. She has to introduce all of the 1st grade curriculum. I call BS.
I've talked to 2 ABA therapists who deal with IEPs for their clients and neither one seem to think it was an issue to request what I was requesting. I also mentioned it to his sped teacher from last year and he didn't say anything about that not being possible.
I dislike this teacher anyways and I have from the start of the year. DH doesn't like her either and I just don't think her and DS clicked at all.

He's doing well in all other subjects so retaining him isn't necessary. He just needs extra support in math in a way that will actually help him learn it. what he's doing now isn't working for him and he'll never learn it.

So, any advice? Is there somewhere I can go for information about what I can do about this (I'm in GA). I'm prepared to fight it all the way to the school board if I have to. He was diagnosed by a private psychologist with Asperger's, ADHD and some oppositional behaviors.

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #2
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Looks like I'm going to have a fight for IEP changes

You need to request a meeting to review his IEP if you feel his needs aren't being met and particularly since the teacher does not want to even try the suggestions. (Went back and saw that you did- has the meeting been scheduled?) I've used TouchMath and it is not that difficult. No reason he shouldn't be allowed to use it. What are his current math goals? I can't say if he needs new math goals since I don't know what his current goals are. It may be that you just need to convene a meeting to add to Touch Math to his accomodations/modifications or it might take more than that.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

I agree, you need a meeting. A word of caution about touch math, however. I have heard, though haven't had time to research, that touch math in some kids can actually prevent them from internalizing math facts. If he need's something more visual, there might be other programs that are better. Like I said, no research here. However, they used touch math with me in school, and though I was not in special education (no learning disability etc), I CANNOT add and subtract in my head. At almost 30 I still have to count it out.

Not saying if you really feel it's working don't use it, but that may be why the teacher is a little resistant.

I also know here that we do not put specific programs like that into IEPs in our school district, but rather types (multisensory vs. Math U See). Hope you're meeting goes well mama!! Good luck!!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #4
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2JandS View Post
You need to request a meeting to review his IEP if you feel his needs aren't being met and particularly since the teacher does not want to even try the suggestions. (Went back and saw that you did- has the meeting been scheduled?) I've used TouchMath and it is not that difficult. No reason he shouldn't be allowed to use it. What are his current math goals? I can't say if he needs new math goals since I don't know what his current goals are. It may be that you just need to convene a meeting to add to Touch Math to his accomodations/modifications or it might take more than that.
Right now he doesn't have any specific math goals. He hasn't had an IEP meeting for changes since this school year started and he was meeting criteria at the end of the year in K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
I agree, you need a meeting. A word of caution about touch math, however. I have heard, though haven't had time to research, that touch math in some kids can actually prevent them from internalizing math facts. If he need's something more visual, there might be other programs that are better. Like I said, no research here. However, they used touch math with me in school, and though I was not in special education (no learning disability etc), I CANNOT add and subtract in my head. At almost 30 I still have to count it out.

Not saying if you really feel it's working don't use it, but that may be why the teacher is a little resistant.

I also know here that we do not put specific programs like that into IEPs in our school district, but rather types (multisensory vs. Math U See). Hope you're meeting goes well mama!! Good luck!!
No, the teacher was resistant because she didn't think he could do it because of his visual-motor skills. She said she worked with him today and had the school OT evaluate him and the OT said he was ready for TouchMath. Well...guess she didn't think I knew what I was talking about since she didn't take my word for it when I told her he did well with it.

I use a form of touch math (though it wasn't specifically taught to me) But my touch points are seen like the dots on a die. Like when I'm counting 6 I see it as

She's agreed to use the touch math method. I'm having a meeting in the next week or two and my SIL will be attending with me...she's good at pushing for what the kids need and she knows the ins and outs of it..since it's her job.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:49 PM   #5
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVDesigns View Post
Right now he doesn't have any specific math goals. He hasn't had an IEP meeting for changes since this school year started and he was meeting criteria at the end of the year in K.
Sounds like you may need to discuss adding math goals, depending on how much he is actually struggling or falling behind. Maybe the touch math will be enough though.

Quote:
I'm having a meeting in the next week or two and my SIL will be attending with me...she's good at pushing for what the kids need and she knows the ins and outs of it..since it's her job.
Good. I was thinking of suggesting you bring an advocate with you.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
No, the teacher was resistant because she didn't think he could do it because of his visual-motor skills. She said she worked with him today and had the school OT evaluate him and the OT said he was ready for TouchMath. Well...guess she didn't think I knew what I was talking about since she didn't take my word for it when I told her he did well with it.

I use a form of touch math (though it wasn't specifically taught to me) But my touch points are seen like the dots on a die. Like when I'm counting 6 I see it as

She's agreed to use the touch math method. I'm having a meeting in the next week or two and my SIL will be attending with me...she's good at pushing for what the kids need and she knows the ins and outs of it..since it's her job.
Glad the OT agrees and you have your meeting set up! It's so hard when the teacher doesn't want to work with the parents :/ Hope you're meeting goes well!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
EvaL
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Two suggestions... find an advocate to go to the IEP with you, or an attorney depending on your state and have the touch math written in his IEP. If it is not in there, they are not required to us it and a resistant teacher probably won't. Another consideration is if you feel he is not clicking with his teacher, you can request a change in classroom. You really want someone working with your child that BELIEVES he can do something..ie: the touch math... having someone who believes it won't work is already a strike against the child's success.
EvaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
stevensmom
Super Moderator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm surprised she doesn't use that in her regular curriculum! When I taught that was in my teaching to the kids that struggled. They need that movement to help them.

hope you get some help
Swag with me! Bing it!
stevensmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
AVDesigns
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaL View Post
Two suggestions... find an advocate to go to the IEP with you, or an attorney depending on your state and have the touch math written in his IEP. If it is not in there, they are not required to us it and a resistant teacher probably won't. Another consideration is if you feel he is not clicking with his teacher, you can request a change in classroom. You really want someone working with your child that BELIEVES he can do something..ie: the touch math... having someone who believes it won't work is already a strike against the child's success.
The teacher is telling me that she can't write in the actual program but tshe can write in the concept of it. That's fine, but she said he cannot use the TM sheets as test..but he can have scratch paper. I'm going to push for one-on-one math work at school instead of him in the classroom with all the other kids.
The problem with requesting another teacher is that he's in the only co-teaching class for his grade as far as I know. I just checked the website and she's the only one listed for 1st grade. I'd love for him to be in another class. The teacher in the class seems fine, but he works more with the sped teacher than the regular teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
I'm surprised she doesn't use that in her regular curriculum! When I taught that was in my teaching to the kids that struggled. They need that movement to help them.

hope you get some help
thanks. I'm hoping it doesn't turn ugly but my SIL is known to get what she wants. She will help me a great deal.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
The teacher is telling me that she can't write in the actual program but tshe can write in the concept of it. That's fine, but she said he cannot use the TM sheets as test..but he can have scratch paper.
I'm not sure what the TM sheets are, but in general if a child is using a modification or accommodation as part of their instruction they should be able to use it for testing. Did she say why he can't have it for the test?
Unfortunately, to me it sounds like you have a teacher that's going to try to do as little as possible and make you fight. Make sure anything you feel your son needs to be successful is written into the IEP. That is the best way to make sure he gets what he needs as it is legally binding.