Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 07:21 AM   #11
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Breach babies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
Actually one of the 3 OBs in my docs practice does do breech births. Out of the 3 docs and 1 midwife in the practice he's the only one who will. I just don't like him very much, we don't "click", and it's not crunch time yet so I don't want to switch. I'm still constantly stunned I have such an easy time with this stuff where I live (vaginal breech, VBAC, etc) because in all other ways my state is totally backwards!!
That's awesome! For the most part, though, it's really tough to find anyone that will touch a breech birth.
Apparently, in southern Ontario, some Drs are trying to "bring back" vaginal breech births because they feel that it is best for mom and baby - as long as it's done properly - which really means getting mom in a good position and leaving the baby alone!

For us with Isaac, there was no choice but a c-sec because of the way/position he was in in there. But I do wonder what I would do if I have a favorable breech positioned baby.

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post

That's awesome! For the most part, though, it's really tough to find anyone that will touch a breech birth.
Apparently, in southern Ontario, some Drs are trying to "bring back" vaginal breech births because they feel that it is best for mom and baby - as long as it's done properly - which really means getting mom in a good position and leaving the baby alone!

For us with Isaac, there was no choice but a c-sec because of the way/position he was in in there. But I do wonder what I would do if I have a favorable breech positioned baby.
Wow. Bring it back? That's rough. I guess I just have this completely baseless notion that other 1st world countries are "ahead" of the US in lots of ways...
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra

Wow. Bring it back? That's rough. I guess I just have this completely baseless notion that other 1st world countries are "ahead" of the US in lots of ways...
When it comes to birth, seems like most countries, period, have better practices.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
They used to do them here, likely in the US, years (like decades) ago, but then decided that c-secs are safer. Sometimes, with some breech presentations, a c-sec is necessary, but if baby's presentation/positioning is favorable for a vaginal birth it should always be allowed to be attempted.
Like I said, not sure how I'd handle it with a favorable breech baby. Isaac wasn't, so there wasn't another option (at that late point). But I don't know how much of a fight it would be to achieve one here
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Buena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I've always had babies head down by 25 weeks. i could feel their but in between my ribs poking out. I really think this baby is transverse an I'm so scared. I go Friday and will ask. But after 3 natural births no way am i having a c-section . I'll go into labor and get to the hospital so close to birth they won't have a choice.
But I'm wondering if I should tart the spinning babies excersises or wait to find out for sure the positio
Old 02-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
delicatefade
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Elena, my friend in Winnipeg had a breech birth about 8 years ago. She was at HSC I believe, and they had the room full of students because it was so rare! But they gave her the option, and she went natural. No regrets!

Right now I think my babe is in the process of turning. Babe has been breech til now, but I feel the head much lower now, and kicks higher, which is good. The hospital where I live is considered to be too low on the tier to accommodate breech births, so it's always a c section. We have no PICU, etc. the closest would be Winnipeg, and it takes about an hour and a half to drive there. I would not make it!

Holland Grace is here! (14/4/2013)
delicatefade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:49 PM   #17
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buena View Post
But after 3 natural births no way am i having a c-section . I'll go into labor and get to the hospital so close to birth they won't have a choice.
I do understand not wanting a c-sec, but sometimes they are necessary. If baby stays transverse, there's no real way for her to be born vaginally.
that baby gets head down for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicatefade View Post
Elena, my friend in Winnipeg had a breech birth about 8 years ago. She was at HSC I believe, and they had the room full of students because it was so rare! But they gave her the option, and she went natural. No regrets!

Right now I think my babe is in the process of turning. Babe has been breech til now, but I feel the head much lower now, and kicks higher, which is good. The hospital where I live is considered to be too low on the tier to accommodate breech births, so it's always a c section. We have no PICU, etc. the closest would be Winnipeg, and it takes about an hour and a half to drive there. I would not make it!
Awesome to know! (just in case, I mean)

baby's turned, or turning, for you!
If baby was breech, and I could do a vaginal delivery in the city, I'd probably opt for an induction really really close to EDD to have the opportunity, kwim?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #18
birdinhand
Registered Users

In the last 3ish years or so, the Canadian equivilant of ACOG, SOGC, came out with a statement that mandatory cesarean birth for breech baby is not an evidence-based practice. I wondered, at the time, if they didn't have enough trained practitioners to follow-though, the statement wouldn't mean a thing, so it's nice to hear that it is really happening.

I totally agree with Spinning Babies and the Miles Circuit -- anything about OFP is good stuff. Chiropractic care and Webster Technique is all helpful, too. Acupuncture, moxibustion -- anything you can find. Standing in a pool upside-down, iron-board tilts, I would try anything. I can't link yet because I don't have a high enough post count, but search Janelle Durham Breech, and Jean Sutton OFP, to find a couple of more links that coule help.

In the end, I wouldn't hesitate to personally have a version attempted -- if it saved me a cesarean birth. In the end, I would want to know I tried everything I could even if I did end up with a cesarean birth. In my experience, the only way women could have breech vaginal births was if they were really into active labor, like baby-is-coming-out labor. We didn't have any practitioners who would willingly or openly do them, and the homebirth midwives might in very specific situations.

I myself was a breech baby and I came out that way. It is another variation of normal, we just don't train practitioners how to assist during breech births anymore.
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #19
BiskMama
Registered Users
seller

Hello ladies,
Thank you all so much for your advice/stories! Very encouraging to here. Do all chiropractors do the Webster technique, or is it something special? Iíve never been to a chiropractor before, so this will be a whole new experience.
Even if I was to find a doctor who does breach births, the hospital I would have to deliver at wouldnít let it happen, they are kind of rigid when it comes to that kind of stuff, I guess for liability reasons. I didnít want to deliver there in the first place, but itís the only place my insurance will cover. Even though theyíre telling me the decision will most likely be made by 36 weeks, Iím going to hold off on giving consent for a C-section as long as I can, and hopefully it will be a moot point anyway. Hubby and I keep telling baby she needs to turn around, and I am praying every day that it happens on its own. If not, you all just gave me great ideas to try.
BiskMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
birdinhand
Registered Users

Not all chiros are trained in Webster, so you have to ask. Good luck !
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote