Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #11
jemanly02
Registered Users

Re: Birthday Party WWYD

Davenport-ish area. I graduated from North Scott, so I know Happy Joes and their Jungle Bungle all too well!! You?
OMG, Im going to be dreaming of taco pizza tonight, grrr...

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #12
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Here most people understand about the cash flow thing. It is perfectly normal to ask someone to join you for a birthday party and ask them to foot their own bill. People are usually shocked when the bill is paid by the host.

If you in laws get pernickity, let them. Its rude to want to go somewhere and then expect someone else to foot the bill.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #13
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Of either do a small party at home with snacks, or say "dd asked to go here, so we're going on _____. If you want to come get a pizza and eat with us that would be fun!"
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:20 AM   #14
kimb96
Registered Users
seller

IMO, it is always rude to expect guests to pay at a party. I agree with a pp to just have cake and ice cream on a sunday afternoon for the family to come. That is all we do for ds's birthday. It doesn't take much work to put together cake and ice cream and a few balloons.

Mama to Ethan
kimb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
They are family so I'd just admit its not a formal party but that L wanted to go play and eat pizza. They are welcome to join if they want but you won't be paying for everyone since its just a casual thing. They should understand.
totally.

it's family - I'm sure they'll understand.

just say 'we weren't going to do a party, but we let her choose where to get dinner. This is the place she chose, you're more than welcome to join us, but everyone will have to go dutch'.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #16
Mama*Kim
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you were inviting friends and asking them to pay for their own pizza, I can totally see how that would be classified as rude. But, that's not the case here. Your family made plans, if other people choose to join in, that's on them. Tell them, "DD asked to just have pizza at ______ for her birthday. If you'd like to meet us there, you're welcome to, but you'll have to cover your own meal." You're doing what your DD wants for her birthday. If they can't accept that, that's their issue.
Mama*Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #17
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

I agree that they can foot their own bill. We recently attended a family members get together at a small restaurant. My mom and her sister planned it and everyone paid for themselves.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:38 PM   #18
armywife2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkinBoutMyGirl View Post
They are family so I'd just admit its not a formal party but that L wanted to go play and eat pizza. They are welcome to join if they want but you won't be paying for everyone since its just a casual thing. They should understand.
thats what my sister just did for her step daughter. partly because of the money, partly because it was her moms weekend, and they got a very limited timeframe, and mom isnt good about being on time... they didnt want to plan a party, and have her not be there, lol.

we went to chuck-e-cheese, and my son was the only other kid there, so she used one of the family meal coupons for pizza, drinks, and 50 tokens for like $30, shared tokens with ds, and everyone else was on there own.

her mother-in-law kept complaining, but everyone else had fun, lol

Want to earn gift cards searching the net? Click HERE to join Swagbucks!
armywife2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
Angel89411
Banned

DS1 is turning 5 this year. Our plan is to go bowling, have dinner and cupcakes at home, then open presents. Just the 4 of us. We don't have a lot of extra $$ right now and this is what DS1 would like and we have done large parties in the past. It gets pricey and stressful. We have decided to ditch the pressure from everyone to have a big party. We did something small for DS2's 1st birthday in November. It felt weird, but it was awesome to be able to enjoy it with him!
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote