Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #1
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Gym classes at Gold's?

I have a Gold's Gym membership and I'm interested in taking a couple classes. Not sure which I should take though... I'm definitely taking cycle, but torn between zumba, pilates mat, pilates fusion, and yoga. I'm not in shape and just starting out - any insight or suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
EveryDayIsANewDay
Registered Users
Formerly: Stacey***ke3
seller
seller

Do they have a group power class there? I always lovedddd that class!
EveryDayIsANewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayIsANewDay View Post
Do they have a group power class there? I always lovedddd that class!
I don't think so... The classes are:

Bodyflow, bodypump bodystep, cxwork, cycle, flex, kickboxing, pilates fusion, pilates mat, rock hard abs, rpm, silversneakers, tnt, zumba, and fit 4 life.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
BODYPUMP! It is a fabulous class. Bc you pick your own weights, you can work at your own level. It is great for strength and toning and building muscle mass generally, which will rev your metabolism and really complements pure cardio like cycle. I did pump all the way through pg although by the end I was basically using zero weight :-)

Just start slow, light weights until you get the hang of the moves. You will be horribly sore after the first few classes but I swear it is a great class. Tends to attract a very loyal following.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
BODYPUMP! It is a fabulous class. Bc you pick your own weights, you can work at your own level. It is great for strength and toning and building muscle mass generally, which will rev your metabolism and really complements pure cardio like cycle. I did pump all the way through pg although by the end I was basically using zero weight :-)

Just start slow, light weights until you get the hang of the moves. You will be horribly sore after the first few classes but I swear it is a great class. Tends to attract a very loyal following.
Hehe that's so intimidating. I've never been fit in my life. Do you think it's okay for a super beginner? Do I need a yoga mat or anything?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Nope, totally appropriate for a newbie! I would just start out with very small weights... Literally for the first class maybe just a single 2.5 lb plate on each end of a barbell or just the bar by itself even.. Just get the hang of the moves first, then worry about weight selection.
You don't need to bring anything with you except WATER. In the class you will set up with a step and weights. Get there 20 mins or so before your first class and ask a nice person to help you - i basically just said "Hi, I've never done this before - what do I need?" :-).
Old 02-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DottieHarley View Post
Nope, totally appropriate for a newbie! I would just start out with very small weights... Literally for the first class maybe just a single 2.5 lb plate on each end of a barbell or just the bar by itself even.. Just get the hang of the moves first, then worry about weight selection.
You don't need to bring anything with you except WATER. In the class you will set up with a step and weights. Get there 20 mins or so before your first class and ask a nice person to help you - i basically just said "Hi, I've never done this before - what do I need?" :-).
Thanks a ton. I've never taken a class before so hopefully I won't look too out of place. What sort of things do you do? Like music and such?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gym classes at Gold's?

Try them all and see what you like.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
MinkaK
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Gym classes at Gold's?

I am with NotLAd and say take them all! Try out all the teachers. I really like doing zumba and body pump but I am really picky about who teaches zumba.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #10
DottieHarley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MothyrGrimm

Thanks a ton. I've never taken a class before so hopefully I won't look too out of place. What sort of things do you do? Like music and such?
Hope you enjoy it! Bodypump (actually all the BodyXYZ classes) are out of NZ, so every now and then there is a REALLY weird song or one entirely in French, etc. it's a track per body section/muscle group. So it's warmup, squats, chest, back, triceps, biceps, lunges, shoulders, core, stretch. There are lots of different songs for each so as soon as you don't get bored. I am the kind of person who pretty much requires music lol, running a marathon sounds deathly boring to me unless i had a gagillion hour playlist :-).