Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
jenner0280
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Yeast infection at 12 days old....really?

My LO has a rash and Dr said it looks like yeast. I can believe I'm dealing with this already and now I'm so scared I did something wrong with my cleaning routine or diaper choices. I wanted to ask some of you because I know you have experience. I have a variety of diapers and wipes both new and used. Lots of unbleached prefold, kissaluvs fitteds, disana tie nappy, fuzzing buns, and thirties covers. Could I have not cleaned the used effectively? I washed on hot and used a little bleach. Is it bc of Tide or covers?

1) Will 1/4 c bleach do the trick or should I wait for GSE to come for disinfecting? Should I use both? Pediatrician said I shouldn't need to disinfect cloth diapers,is he wrong?

2) anyone tried baby probiotics? Would plain yogurt on my nipples be the same thing? Is that overkill?

3) How many of you dealt with this without recurrences? I see so many horror stories on here I'm a little worried.

I was not on antibiotics...am I over-reacting? Is this really as common as my pediatrician says? I don't remember dealing with this with my son.

TIA for any suggestions!

Advertisement

jenner0280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
rumblepurr
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Second star to the right and straight on till morning!
My Mood:
Re: Yeast infection at 12 days old....really?

It's unlikely the diaper choices. Babies in sposies get yeast rashes to. It's most likely because babies skin is sensitive to yeast. Does baby have thrush in their mouth, or are your nipples sore? Probiotics wouldn't hurt, but do bleach or GSE the diapers. Did the Dr. prescribe a cream? If so make sure to use liners so it doesn't get on the diapers and start repelling.

The only time I had a repeat with the yeast was when I tried to treat it without the script or the fungal cream. I tried the natural homeopathic way and it did improve things but it took the cream to finally kick it.

I didn't ever NOT disinfect the diapers after a yeast rash, so I don't know if he is right or wrong.

Last edited by rumblepurr; 02-09-2013 at 03:22 PM.
rumblepurr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
kittenbaby77
Registered Users
seller

I started my lo on prefold when he was 2 weeks old due to a chemical rash he got from pamper disposable diapers. The chemical rash cleared up with prefold right away but within a week, my baby started to get a new kind of rash which I recognized it was yeast. I tried drying him extra with a dry cloth + tissue pat dry. I tried olive oil. I use country save detergent. i tried densitin cream. ( I used the cream with a piece of old t shirt as liner to protect my prefold...) nothing helped till I started him on antifungal cream which was available over the counter. I was on antibiotic during labor too but I blame this yeast on baby's low immune system!! My baby is now 9 weeks old. I haven't used anymore cream. His bottom is nice and clear since the rash cleared up. It hasn't came back.
kittenbaby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #4
jenner0280
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumblepurr View Post
It's unlikely the diaper choices. Babies in sposies get yeast rashes to. It's most likely because babies skin is sensitive to yeast. Does baby have thrush in their mouth, or are your nipples sore? Probiotics wouldn't hurt, but do bleach or GSE the diapers. Did the Dr. prescribe a cream? If so make sure to use liners so it doesn't get on the diapers and start repelling.

The only time I had a repeat with the yeast was when I tried to treat it without the script or the fungal cream. I tried the natural homeopathic way and it did improve things but it took the cream to finally kick it.

I didn't ever NOT disinfect the diapers after a yeast rash, so I don't know if he is right or wrong.
I don't think he has thrush..doctor didn't say he did . Nipples are sore but I attributed it to early days of breastfeeding. He does have a white tongue but I just thought it was milk. Any tell tell signs if he did havethrush?

No prescription, just monistat. Which do you use bleach or gse?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
jennayoung99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
What other have said, you don't get yeast from diapers, unless your diapers were used by someone with yeast. My DD had a yeast rash at around 6 weeks because she was on antibiotics, the doctors told me to watch for thrush, well no thrush but we did get a yeast rash. Just remember to bleach all of your diapers, use an antifungal cream and I took probiotics which she got through nursing, it clears up pretty quickly.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
jenner0280
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenbaby77 View Post
I started my lo on prefold when he was 2 weeks old due to a chemical rash he got from pamper disposable diapers. The chemical rash cleared up with prefold right away but within a week, my baby started to get a new kind of rash which I recognized it was yeast. I tried drying him extra with a dry cloth + tissue pat dry. I tried olive oil. I use country save detergent. i tried densitin cream. ( I used the cream with a piece of old t shirt as liner to protect my prefold...) nothing helped till I started him on antifungal cream which was available over the counter. I was on antibiotic during labor too but I blame this yeast on baby's low immune system!! My baby is now 9 weeks old. I haven't used anymore cream. His bottom is nice and clear since the rash cleared up. It hasn't came back.
I hope thats also the case with us. Did you disinfect diapers? How?
Old 02-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #7
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

My youngest developed a yeast infection before she was even a week old and at that point she was still in the package of newborn Pampers the birth center sent us home with. Some kids are just more prone to it and it makes sense- They've just had an ENORMOUS change of environment and their skin is adjusting. For some kids that can mean a yeast infection in their tiny bits that have never been trapped in a diaper before. Athletes foot cream on the affected area at each diaper change, a liner(either fleece or disposable) if you're using cloth to protect the diapers from stains from the cream(if you care), and 1/4 cup bleach(followed by an extra rinse beyond your normal) will kick it quickly.

Quote:
1) Will 1/4 c bleach do the trick or should I wait for GSE to come for disinfecting? Should I use both? Pediatrician said I shouldn't need to disinfect cloth diapers,is he wrong?
Yes, he is wrong. Yeast is stubborn little buggers and will cling to the diapers. Bleach will kill it very adequately.

Quote:
2) anyone tried baby probiotics? Would plain yogurt on my nipples be the same thing? Is that overkill?
GSE would work better than yogurt. Just make sure you wipe your nipples before your breastfeed after applying it because, though it's perfectly harmless and fine for ingesting, it has a very bitter taste that could make Baby not want to breastfeed.

Quote:
3) How many of you dealt with this without recurrences?
After we kicked that first yeast infection(it took about a week) we've had no trouble. She's potty trained now.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #8
mws456
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have battled thrush and yeast with a newborn because I too was on antibiotics during labor. I did use GSE in the wash about 20-25 drops per load and sunned them dry on the clothes line. I also made a GSE spray using a 2 oz spray bottle and 15-20 drops of GSE to spray babies bottom at each change. ALso remember to spray your breast before each feeding if you are nursing. Otherwise you might risk transfer back and forth. If the white on his tounge doesn't wipe off with your finger then it is thrush. I refused to use antifungal creams b/c of the sideffects. We finally beat thrush with baby probiotics and GSE. Yeast diaper rash is very easy to clear up with GSE. You just have to be persistent and you must disinfect your diapers every time. it is very common, don't worry. GSE will clear it up very quickly. BTW, if you have wool covers it will help because they breathe so well. My little one was constantly plagued with yeast diaper rash off and on until we switched to wool. HTH.
mws456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #9
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My oldest got a yeast rash right off the bat at 2 weeks old and he was wearing only sposies at that point. It happens. I would disinfect the diapers and do a course of probiotics. My youngest was hospitalized at 8-9 weeks for bacterial meningitis and received a TON of antibiotics. I used Jarro Baby Acidophilous applied to my nipple once a day and he did not get a yeast infection or have diareeah even though he had basically been on several high powered antibiotics. I just used bleach in each wash for about 2 weeks.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Jcurrie
Registered Users
seller

For the probiotics Bio Gaia is a good one that comes in drops
Jcurrie is online now   Reply With Quote