Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

My new idea for training pants at daycare is Imse Vimse or similar under wool longies. I got a great price on some Woolybottoms (Upcycled with interlock waistband).

Question is, am I going to have to send something else for him to play outside in? In rainy chilly muddy Oregon?

I seriously do not mind having to hand wash them constantly, or that the resale value might not be high. And what if I do machine wash them, in lingerie bags, and hang to dry? They're a bit too big and again, they're for daycare and I'm not fretting resale value.

We're currently spending a fortune on sposie pull-ups, daycare needs leak free and pull-up, he needs them to be "underpants", and after trying just about everything this seems best for our budget. If it takes him at least 4 months to destroy them, that is.

Advertisement

Last edited by TrennaII; 02-10-2013 at 11:52 PM.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Re: How hard can LO play in wool?

I am interested in seeing the answer to this. So far, I have been handwashing only....sometimes spinning only to remove water in the washer. Was kind of wondering about machine washing but scared to.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Since I know that ur handy with the sewing machine, I would sew ur LO a ton of diy longies from sweaters at goodwill. They don't take long to sew at all. Depending on how u catch the sales the sweaters can cost anywhere from $1-$8. This is what we did with my 18 mo old when he was in full time wool. He was so messy, we sewed him about 14 - then I did wool laundry only 1 time a week.

You could sew ur self a bunch and then send him to daycare with 1 or 2 backup pairs of longies and then just do ur wool laundry on the weekend.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:

Woolies are clothes. My kids do exactly the same things regardless of clothing type, which includes plenty of mud, grass, leaves, sticks, etc. Yes, stuff gets filthy. And then you wash is. A soak in a sink of warm water will release any mud, and sticks, leaves and straw are easy to pick out while shaving. If you knit your woolies with a good hardy wool, it will stand up to the roughest of toddler play perfectly.
KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Not sure about interlock but we really beat our handknit longies and they survive they been through mud and dirt and snow, some stains and felts in spots but still very usable. I don't buy for resale either they are for wearing and using.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #6
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Treena, I have both WoollyBottoms and homemade longies from upcycled wool and so far mud and food haven't been a problem getting out because I lanolinize pretty heavily. I imagine that after many months of crawling around and playing on the ground, they will get pretty pilly....but I am not worried about it because I didn't buy them for resale value either.

I am not sure about washing them in the washer in a lingerie bag. I know there are a few mamas on here that do, but they don't let the cycle agitate....they shut it off and just let everything soak and then spin them out....of course, I'd be afraid for myself that I'd forget to shut off the cycle and come back to barbie-size pants that are so stiffly felted that DS couldn't bend his knees.

Maybe making enough so you could just launder on weekends is the easiest solution. I know I have been able to get two pairs of longies from a man's sweater. I make one pair from the arms (which can be cuffed) and another pair by cutting a leg out of each side piece, using the armpit area as the crotch, and the uncut side as the inseam...then cutting the shoulder seam to make the casing for the waist elastic. The long side seam on the legs (from the neck down to the waistband) means they don't look pretty if you cuff them but at least it's 2 full pairs of pants.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
UVASahm
Registered Users
seller
seller

I've been washing on delicate cycle in my washer and its been working great! I would test this cycle out on your washer with a pair you don't care about too much and see if it works. I have a he washer with no agitator which is why I think it's fine.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My toddler is in wool full time. Hand knits for day use and disana/aristocrats/engel soakers for nights. He has rolled in mud puddles. Played in snow , jumped through leaves, crawled through he grass. I made ours and most I am hoping we will get 3 years of use out of. Resale may not be high but I never did get any money back from my daughters non woolie clothing either. I am not worried. My older son wore wool soakers under regular clothing. Very little of his regular clothing could be sold or even passed on.l
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

As always you ladies are awesome. Thanks so much. I just remembered we have a small portable Haier washer in the garage that I used for diapers in an apartment, it has no agitator. It'd be perfect for woolies. I've washed wool and cashmere in regular washers a lot, without a single incident.

And yeah I'd love to sew for him, poor kid is like the Shoemakers children having no shoes. I started sewing him training pants in august and don't have a single functional pair that fits.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
Terra76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

for handknits, some yarns are sturdy than others. Cestari is awesome for rough toddlers as well as MMW/MMR (mountain meadow wool/rambolant (sp) ) and BBR (blackberry ridge) I have washed them in the machine on delicate.
Terra76 is offline   Reply With Quote