Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #1
mumtothem
Registered Users
seller
seller

Which convertible ?

Im looking for a convertible seat for my newbie
Perferably with a high weight for ff and bonus with hbb mode.And slim!
What about the Safety 1st - Alpha Omega Elite Convertible Car Set?

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Which convertible ?

There aren't any car seats that will fit a newborn and can be the last booster seat you'll ever need. The Graco SmartSeat,Evenflo Symphony65, and Diono Radians are the only seats that work well as both convertibles and as boosters, but even then, the booster portion will be outgrown long before the child is ready to graduate from a booster.

So. With that in mind, it is usually advisable that people who want to skip the infant seat go ahead and get a convertible that will last from newborn to booster age, and then buy a dedicated booster when the time comes.

Since you have older children, there is also the option of passing down seats from older to younger kids, which can help to cut down on the number of seats you end up buying. If you post your older kids' weights, current seats, and how they fit in them, we might be able to help you figure out if that would be a good option for you now.

Some convertibles that work well for newborns and will keep average kids harnessed to a safe booster age are:
Britax convertibles (Roundabout 55, Marathon 70, Boulevard 70, Pavilion 70CS, Advocate 70CS)
Diono Radians (any model)
Graco MyRide
Graco Size4Me/MySize/HeadWise - not exactly sure how these seats are for newborns, they're pretty new
Evenflo Triumph 65
Maxi Cosi Pria 70 (with tinyfit)
The First Years Truefit - I think this one is being remodeled maybe? might be hard to find

If there are more, I'm sure that others will pipe up and fill in the ones I've missed.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
imjustjessa
Registered Users

The Alpha Omega Elite is not a recommended seat as it is difficult to install, is outgrown early (both rear and forward facing), and makes a DEADLY booster.

Personally, I would go with the Graco MyRide, or the Graco MySize/Size4Me/HeadWise (all the same seat, just different stores have different names).
Old 02-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
mumtothem
Registered Users
seller
seller

I saw the myride and it seems so huge.Right now I have my ODS in a nautilus, middle DS in a saftey first all in one ( which we are looking for a new seat for too) and baby in a bucket infant seat.
I should clarify the baby wont be in this new seat for a couple months.Hes a month now and wont be in a new seat untill warmer weather in March/April.
So Ill mark alpha off my list.
We have an explorer and we need 2 slim seats in the second row so we can still access the third row.Nauilus and saftey first all in one, which I hate, barley fit to get to the back.Same with the bucket seat and saftey first all in one.
So thats my delema.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
beccak
Registered Users

My Mood:

Any britax is gonna be great! They have great ratings and they can stay in them for a long time!
beccak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There are no safety ratings, so any seat is very safe. Britax seats are not slim at all. They are very nice seats(I have four), but not the be all end all. They are not great for super tall kids or three across situations. OP, how tall and big are the kids? Also, the Safety 1st All In One is the exact same seat as the Alpha Omega. For three across with a Nautilus and an All In One, I am thinking you will need a Radian in there. If you get the older toddler a Radian, then you could possibly do the Graco Headwise/MySize/Size 4 Me. It sits on a base and may puzzle better with the other seats.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
AzulMariposa
Registered Users
seller

I would consider a diono radian for your middle child, and pass down the safety first. The radian is very narrow, and will fit for a long time. They also have a 8? Year expiration now, so later on you can probably just buy a highback booster for your oldest and pass down seats again. I hope I am making sense, I am not fully awake.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
jess71903
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What year is your Explorer? The Radian (at least the SK Radians, and I don't think the Dionos are that different install-wise) is pretty much incompatible FF in the '06-'10 Explorers. It's possible you could get it, but I'm a CPST and after fighting with it for a good while, I gave up. I would have what appeared to be a tight install, and the bottom would slide forward and back.

Gage is Redefining Spina Bifida
jess71903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
mumtothem
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess71903 View Post
What year is your Explorer? The Radian (at least the SK Radians, and I don't think the Dionos are that different install-wise) is pretty much incompatible FF in the '06-'10 Explorers. It's possible you could get it, but I'm a CPST and after fighting with it for a good while, I gave up. I would have what appeared to be a tight install, and the bottom would slide forward and back.
09!Thank you for this!
Im having a hard time finding good seats to fit in that second row and still beable to fold down the seat to access the third row.
We did have a nutilus and saftey firt all in one in that row and we were ever so lightly bumping the seat trying to fold down the seat.
Now we need a ff seat and rf seat to fit.I have no store to even look at seats less than 2hrs away but our small walmart with cheap seats.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
mumtothem
Registered Users
seller
seller

What about the Evenflo triumph of first years true fit?
The graco size for me rf and first year true fit ff?

Last edited by mumtothem; 02-04-2013 at 08:58 AM.
mumtothem is offline   Reply With Quote