Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
lalakiwi7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
HOw many NB covers?

Is there a sticky or a post about this already? How many newborn covers would be preferred for NB diapering? I have mostly fitteds but do have some AIO's for daddy. So right now I have about about 20 fitteds and 10 AOI's... I currently have one thirstis duo wrap, two nb rump covers, and a older grovia that is small that looks like it will fit and two wool covers.

my last baby was pretty small (6 pounds) and I was almost 42 weeks....so planning on another smaller baby again or I would just buy OS covers.

So how many covers would you get??? HOw many diapers??? (we won't do prefolds keeping that in mind.

Advertisement

Liesl-(like Sound of Music.) ER Nurse Practitioner part time. Full time wifey to my highschool sweetheart and mommy to DS-2006 (adopted) and DD-2009 (biobaby). We love Jesus! Until the day we meet again missing our three babies 7/2011;11/2011; DS-7/2012. THANKFUL to be After 3 years and 3 losses with our #2 biobaby RAINBOW IT"S A BOY!! Expected 8/2013
lalakiwi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: HOw many NB covers?

I had 36 prefolds and 6 covers. Was definitely plenty for us.

Since u have 20 fitteds and 10 aio's, id say u would have enough but would Have to wash every other day. If u want to wash every 3rd day, u need to end up with around 36 diapers.

I would have 4 covers for 20 fitteds....
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For 20 fitteds I would probably and 4 or 5 covers. Usually recommend a cover for every 4 or 5 changes with fitted for prefolds attached onto baby.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Our babe pooped about 10 x a day for the first 3 months, I don't think i'm exaggerating! We ended up needing about 10 covers because it wasn't worth it to me to try to rinse poop off every single diaper change. I would say start with 5 but you may want more later
Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

We snappi prefolds on and 5 covers is plenty. 4 would actually be plenty since I have one in the diaper bag that has been there for 3 weeks. I just haven't needed it.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
ss456
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Using a jelly roll fold and Snappi, my guy pooped almost every change at first, but it rarely got on the cover. Nevertheless, I prefer a fresh cover even if it was just a good soaking of urine down to the cover. I had 6 covers and washed daily, and I made it work, but would have loved a couple more in the beginning.

The Rumparooz newborn covers will be great for a small baby. However, you might find your Thirsties duo size 1 to be a little big at first. My son was 8lbs 10oz and needed the tightest waist snap on those for the first couple weeks. If he was only 6lbs, I assume the Thirsties duo would have been too big.
ss456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
boysniris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think that you'll have less blow-outs with fitteds, so 4-5 covers ought to be plenty. As for diapers, if you are washing every other day then 36- 40 sounds like enough to me

boysniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
reyasunshine
Registered Users
seller

Like DancyBaby, my DD was (still is! ) a poop MACHINE! LOL. I'm not even kidding, she will poop 3-7 times per day! I know it was more when she was a NB! Anywho... we had 24 prefolds and 10 covers, and that was good for us. I probably could have gotten away with 8 covers, and next time (in three months... ), I definitely plan to have a bigger stash than 24 diapers. Newborns just need more than that, and you're too tired to be doing diaper laundry every day or every other day. LOL.

So we do still have our 24 prefolds that I will use in covers as backups, but I'm adding 13 fitteds and probably 15-20 AIOs to that as well. LOL. I want to be prepared and have plenty this time!

How about some Sunshine and Wonder ?
reyasunshine is offline   Reply With Quote