Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Your second newborn stash! What did you change?

So DH and I have started talking about having baby #2, and I am beyond excited about getting newborn diapers again!

We sold off almost everything except for 4 XS BG AIOs, 3 KL 0s, and a couple prefolds. We kept a couple wool covers and I started knitting now so I anticipate knitting some adorable longies and soakers for our next kiddo Our ds was 8.6 and grew like a weed so we barely got to use our newborn fluff. I'm wondering what I'll do differently this time? What did you change about your second newborn stash or what would you do differently if you were to plan again?

Advertisement

Dancy Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 PM   #2
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Re: Your second newborn stash! What did you change?

I want to know too!
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I didn't start snappi-ing on prefolds until infant size (maybe after 5 weeks). So I plan to start with newborn next time. The other 1/2-1/3 will be AIO and Fitteds. the first time around I was clueless. Any OS or small size diaper that said it fit at 7 or 8lbs I assumed would fit. My son ws born at 8.5lbs and never lost an OZ.... he didn't fit into these diapers until his third week. I did alot of scrambling the first few days and ended up buying alot of thirties duo wraps (cause i liked the fit) and used lots of inserts that we had.

Next time I know better. Prefolds instead of inserts, less wraps needed. Fitteds and AIO for middle of the night.

Since second babies seem to be the same size as first or bigger, I am assuming #2 will only fit in newborn stuff for a few weeks as well. Except for the newborn prefolds I am buying Duo stuff or size small that actually fits newborns.

I was just looking at pics, my son was in his thirsites duo wraps until early in month 4. He could wear them day 1. I say that is a pretty good deal. He was wearing sm gDiapers and OS pockets in week three... So my newborn and small stash look almost the same -- he went from duos to medium.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-10-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

I still had the prefolds & covers (with wool since I discovered it after DS1 was a newb) but I added in lots of AIOs and pockets in NB & Small, where with DS1 I used mostly fitteds & prefolds.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The second time, I added GMD newborn prefolds instead of standard prefolds. They just fit much better. I also did Alva's, which didn't fit my peanut until he was a bit bigger (was born at 6lbs 11oz), but I didn't care for the fit on him and preferred fitteds (nanipoos-which I used the first time & loved and loved them this time. He's just now growing out of them at around 12/13lbs)
Old 02-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

For my DD we had 12 AIO (BGxs and Sposoeasy), 18 newborn prefolds, 12 preemie prefolds, 12 small flats, 4 fitteds (KLO and BG) and I believe 8 covers. I hated the KLO so I sold them before she even grew out of them. I realized then that I loved wool and got more wool when we moved up to smalls.

For my 2nd newborn stash I basically kept everything else we had but added 12 fitteds and lots of wool. Also bought 2 Simplex since everyone raved about them. Did not care for the Simplex at all but LOVE wool and fitteds. If we were to have another I think I would basically keep everything the same as that is what works best for us.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Why didn't you like the KLOs or simplex? This is what we are planning for our newborn rental and I very much value your opinion.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
lady longs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

With my first, we did a case of newborn sposies and then did prefolds and thirsties covers when those ran out. I was very happy with that choice.

This time, we did 2 small packages of newborn sposies (just enough until corn fell off and stump dried up) and then went straight to fb os elites. I am very happy with that as well.

I am really easy to please. If diapers work, I am happy. This time around, I just invested more because I knew that cloth diapering was for us. First time around, I chose prefolds just because of the cost.
lady longs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

DH says he refuses to use prefolds still, but will do fitteds with wool no problem. I'm thinking getting a dozen more KL0s, dozen GMD orange for me to use, and then dozen yellows, dozen small workhorses. Also we may want some small AIOs so probably 6 or so small simplex, we love the mediums we have now.

We have mostly boyish stuff now, so if we have a girl it will be doubly exciting to get girly diapers this time around
Old 02-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #10
Dancy Baby
Registered Users
seller

Oh also, I'm wondering how a KL0 compares to orange workhorses? I like the snap down on the KL0s, so maybe snapless workhorses would be similar? But not as squishy