Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sciatic Nerve Pain

Anyone else? What's it like? What do you do to alleviate the pain?

This is my 5th pregnancy and I'm about 32 weeks and this is the first time I've had this sort of pain EVER! It's a sharp shooting pain in my upper left thigh that goes up and down at the same time and hurts so bad I end up 'yelping' a bit each time. It happens when the nerve is compressed...a certain way I move my left leg or sit or someone else leans on it or something...it comes and goes fast in a sharp way then leaves my leg aching and sort of numb at the same time...it HURTS BAD! I've researched it online and sciatic nerve pain seems to fit the pain I feel and I found some exercises to try 3 x a day - they haven't helped yet. We make a point to take a nice walk each day too.

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sciatic Nerve Pain

You said upper left thigh - I'm assuming you mean at the back, by your bum. Otherwise you've got something completely different.
You can find yoga stretches that should help in time. It's kind of like a muscle spasm that pinches a nerve. I have it in my left side. You need to do what you can to balance your pelvis and stretch out and relieve that muscle. (piriformis) Chiropractic care can help. Lying on a tennis ball (put the ball right under the sore spot on your butt) and rolling gently can help. Getting someone to massage the spot while you stretch it out can help.
I have good days and bad days - the better ones are usually when I exercise and stretch, but that doesn't happen every day. It does clear up completely for me after baby is born.
Hope you find some relief soon mama!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
You said upper left thigh - I'm assuming you mean at the back, by your bum. Otherwise you've got something completely different.
You can find yoga stretches that should help in time. It's kind of like a muscle spasm that pinches a nerve. I have it in my left side. You need to do what you can to balance your pelvis and stretch out and relieve that muscle. (piriformis) Chiropractic care can help. Lying on a tennis ball (put the ball right under the sore spot on your butt) and rolling gently can help. Getting someone to massage the spot while you stretch it out can help.
I have good days and bad days - the better ones are usually when I exercise and stretch, but that doesn't happen every day. It does clear up completely for me after baby is born.
Hope you find some relief soon mama!
Thanks mama! To be honest I've always felt like it stems more from the front or inside of my leg...but it's hard to pinpoint exactly where the pain comes from any further than in my thigh .
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmmm.... well, it sounds like it might definitely be a nerve issue then, but not sciatic, I'm guessing. Maybe someone else can give some better info for you!
Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

best thing for me was chiro adjustments and a stretch that helped wonderfully. lay on back with legs bent. angle R foot into other leg where it folds onto your thigh. take L bent leg and lift up foot from floor to stretch that nerve out. it hurts a bit but in a good way.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #6
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
best thing for me was chiro adjustments and a stretch that helped wonderfully. lay on back with legs bent. angle R foot into other leg where it folds onto your thigh. take L bent leg and lift up foot from floor to stretch that nerve out. it hurts a bit but in a good way.
Do you have a link to a website that shows this? Kind-of hard to follow the directions .
Old 05-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #7
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

That's a piriformis stretch, and it is great for sciatic pain. If this isn't sciatic, it won't help, but you can try it anyways! It's a little tricky when you've got a belly!

Here's a pic:
http://www.teachpe.com/images/jenny/...is_stretch.jpg

You'll want to keep the foot of the leg being stretched flexed, which protects your knee from being hurt.

The other thing you can do is basically the same stretch sitting up. It's a little easier on the belly. Sit in a chair, cross one leg over the other resting the ankle on the knee/thigh, flex the foot of the crossed leg, and gently press on the knee of the crossed leg. Lean forward a little to increase the stretch. Switch sides.

Last edited by ~Cricket~; 05-14-2013 at 12:11 PM.
~Cricket~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
~Cricket~
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My kids are napping, and I'm resting with my coffee for a few minutes, so I did a quick google search on your issue and it sounds like there's lots of others in the same boat, but not a whole lot of relief offered! (I googled "inner thigh nerve pain during pregnancy" BTW) Some attributed it to baby sitting low and pinching a nerve in the pelvis. If that's the case, you might be able to encourage baby to move a little by doing cat stretches or something like that. Might shift his/her head around a little and relieve that pinched spot....?
Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had calssic sciatic from the back with 2nd and 3rd and a craz pain in front inner thigh w/4th
chiro didn't help that at all and don't know what the name is for that but it's baby pressing on some nerve. maybe try a belly belt to help lift it up. good thing is it will be gone if not right after shortly after babe is born
Old 05-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #10
mommyshanti
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Cricket~ View Post
That's a piriformis stretch, and it is great for sciatic pain. If this isn't sciatic, it won't help, but you can try it anyways! It's a little tricky when you've got a belly!

Here's a pic:
http://www.teachpe.com/images/jenny/...is_stretch.jpg

You'll want to keep the foot of the leg being stretched flexed, which protects your knee from being hurt.

The other thing you can do is basically the same stretch sitting up. It's a little easier on the belly. Sit in a chair, cross one leg over the other resting the ankle on the knee/thigh, flex the foot of the crossed leg, and gently press on the knee of the crossed leg. Lean forward a little to increase the stretch. Switch sides.
the sitting on chair/bed doing that stretch is what my chiro recommended to me I do the other one not prego to stretch