Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
tori729
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Tips on nighttraining my preschooler

So my almost 5-yr old has been in sposie Pull-Ups since he pted (about 3 years old). I've been ready for him to night train for a LONG time but I never looked into cloth trainers seriously because they were so expensive (I can usually get Pull-Ups for $4-$5/jumbo pack.)

So recently I've been looking into night trainers; I'm pregnant with #3 and they would probably be used again, but it's hard for me to think that I would be dropping $15-20 on one dipe when I can get 3-4 months worth of Pull-Ups for that price.

I went ahead and bought a FLIP and some TTT mainly for my daughter (almost 3) and she's doing great. I can wake her up at night and she will go and has had 2-3 dry nights in one week and most other nights she only pees a bit. Really ideal.

My son is a complete other story. He is a HEAVY sleeper and if I try to wake him up at night he won't fully wake up at ALL and if I drag him to the bathroom (mind you, 30 weeks pregnant) he's not even awake enough to pee. It's extremely frustrating. Needless to say, I don't think he's even close to night training unfortunately.
But will he ever be? I mean, if he sleeps so heavily how will he ever wake up to pee?
So main questions are: would it help to have something that he can feel is wet (I'm thinking no because he will sleep right through it and get a rash at the same time.). Although on the other hand, maybe gradually it would help?
Also: Anyone look into getting a potty alarm or something to wake him up at night so he can go? He's definitely old enough to wake up and turn the alarm off and get himself to the potty. Tips? Experience?
I'll probably end up looking into Superundies, TTT, or Snap EZE for him.

ETA: I'm already eliminating his liquids after dinner.

Advertisement

Last edited by tori729; 02-11-2013 at 08:31 AM.
tori729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Tips on nighttraining my preschooler

My oldest PLed before 3 but then went on to wet at night until he was almost 5. He is 6 now and still does it occasionally but maybe only once every few months. He is just like you described as he is such a heavy sleeper he would not even wake up with the lights on and me basically dragging him out of bed. Only time helped. When his body was ready he just stopped doing it. He was in cloth trainers. We used Superundies, Snap-Ez and Dribble Drawers.

My almost 3 year old is day trained but still wets at night as well. She wore sposie pull-ups for about 2 months then we are back in cloth for her and I think the cloth has made her more aware so she is wetting less and waking up to go to the potty. As far as cost that is not the major motivator for me to use cloth so I was not opposed to spending $20 on a few trainers but I think in the end it is cost effective. My DD is wearing some of her brother's trainers and my youngest will eventually wear them too. We were able to get by with 4 trainers.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tips on nighttraining my preschooler

Can't help you with how, but I really like the Snap EZ pocket trainers. As long as you have good absorbent inserts they should work well
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote