Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #1
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Birth Control Options

DS is due in just 9 short weeks (AHHHH!!!) and we are still kinda stumped on what to do for birth control after. I will be breastfeeding and I don't want an IUD, they scare the crap out of me. I had some supply issues with DD that caused me to lose my milk at 6 months so I don't want to take anything that could cause my milk to decrease. I have a thyroid condition so it's a struggle sometimes to keep up supply, no need to make it worse. Condoms just don't work for us, it takes away all sensation and just is pointless. I suggested just going the NFP route but I think that makes him nervous, and for good reason. I am pretty good at tracking when I am ovulating but we already had a mishap once and it ended in miscarriage but I thought we were safe when we first started dating and I wasn't on any BC.

I am on the fence about permanant sterilization for either of us. This is my second and I am fairly confident I am done but not completely. I always envisioned having 3 kids, but he already has 2 children from a previous marriage so anymore after this would make 5 which is just a lot. He isn't totally against any more children but I think he would be completely content with the 4. I don't want to wind up getting my tubes tied or something though only to feel incomplete later. From what I have read that means we are not ready for any permenant options.

After I had DD I didn't have to worry about any of this because ExDH deployed when she was 4 weeks old so it wasn't a concern while I was nursing. I know they suggest the mini pill and say it won't effect milk but I am nervous it will. So any suggestions?

Advertisement

~KittyKat~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
solobluedancer
Registered Users
seller
seller

Diaphragm?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Combine FAM/NFP with a diaphragm?? I was interested in a diaphragm, but it just isn't effective enough for our peace of mind. Sounds fairly convenient, though.

We did FAM with condoms while fertile, but had an unexpected hormone change with a supplement I was taking and got a surprise pregnancy. Now my hubby isn't game for that. I think i would be good doing NFP with a diaphragm while not fertile (in case of a diet or supplement change affecting my hormones unexpectedly again) and condoms while I am fertile, but i doubt hubby would go for that either.

We are pretty sure we are done, but young enough we aren't 100% ready for the big V. I'll probably getting a paraguard, but I definitely understand how having a plastic/copper device in your body would freak a person out. I've had one before (when we were first married/before kids) and it worked well without side effects, so that is hubby's preference. I won't touch hormones unless it is to KEEP a baby. Too many side effects for me.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birth Control Options

Hmmm, I completely forgot about that as an option. You might have just solved my problem lol. Need to do some reading . Thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

inplanon under skin, progesterone pill, my sis in law got tubes tied then undid later &vhad more kids just fine.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
~KittyKat~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Only bad thing I am seeing about a diaphram is that you need to use it with spermicide. I am allergic to Nonoxynol-9, ugh. This is so frustrating. There are so many options but none of them seem to be right for us.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Have you read Take Charge of Your Fertility? A lot of people try "natural family planning" without following all of the rules. I started to with OvuView app on my phone and its gone very well. I'm hyperfertile, tending to conceive on birth control, and we managed over a year. It's just really important to not only cheat in the fertile Window.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #8
lemon.extract
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The nexplanon is suppose to be safe, doesn't decrease milk supply, just a little rod in your arm and is good for three years .
lemon.extract is offline   Reply With Quote