Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Dazed and confuzed about ammonia...

Please help!

When it comes to ammonia, there is way too much advice out there with so many variables that my head is spinning with what to do. I had a thred recently about my stinky sbish problem and I was instructed to try Tide (previously using rockin green and my sbish were very stinky in the morning--not ammonia stink, but stinky barn animal stink). So, I tried Tide with all my diapers (various pockets, flips stay dry, sbish snapless, and flip organics). Since then, I have been dealing with ammonia.

I am scared to try vinegar because i've read that you shouldn't use vinegar with hard water. I have moderately hard water, not super hard.

What is a way to get rid of the ammonia stinks without using vinegar? I want it gone!!

Thanks

Advertisement

jensmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Darkfyre
Registered Users

Re: Dazed and confuzed about ammonia...

Bleach. Use 1/4 - 1/2 cup regular bleach in your pre-rinse. Then wash on hot with a good detergent. Do an extra rinse if you think there is lingering soap.(I never do though) Easy peasy.
Darkfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Can someone help me understand why I am getting ammonia stinks? Is it soap buildup? Can I use bleach on all my diapers? So, bleach in the pre-rinse? I've heard to put bleach in the wash cycle? Does it matter when you add it?
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #4
ballerina
Registered Users

Uh oh why can't you use it with hard water I just did for the first time for the same reason....
ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerina View Post
Uh oh why can't you use it with hard water I just did for the first time for the same reason....
I don't know!! Another reason I am confused!!! Maybe what I read was wrong? I
Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Bleach or I have moderately hard water and use vinegar no issues. I also use oxyclean(generic brand) and do an overnight soak in hot water(140 degrees the hottest our water heater goes).

We have only had amonia when using Rock in Green, Whisk, or ERA. Rock in Green was the worst. I have never used Tide as I hear it is strongly scented. I don't care for strong scents. Like any detergent though it will not work for everyone who tries it.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmyname View Post
Can someone help me understand why I am getting ammonia stinks? Is it soap buildup? Can I use bleach on all my diapers? So, bleach in the pre-rinse? I've heard to put bleach in the wash cycle? Does it matter when you add it?
The bleach will likely be more effective once you remove tha majority of the nasties. Otherwise I would think you would need more of it to disinfect which is what you are needing to do.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballerina View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmyname View Post
I don't know!! Another reason I am confused!!! Maybe what I read was wrong? I
I understand in really hard water it causes stink issues. Something about it reacting with the hard minerals. Most people don't have an issue with it though. I have moderately hard water and use vinegar as a softener in my laundry. I have had no problems at all.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Bleach or I have moderately hard water and use vinegar no issues. I also use oxyclean(generic brand) and do an overnight soak in hot water(140 degrees the hottest our water heater goes).

We have only had amonia when using Rock in Green, Whisk, or ERA. Rock in Green was the worst. I have never used Tide as I hear it is strongly scented. I don't care for strong scents. Like any detergent though it will not work for everyone who tries it.
What detergent do you use, then? And detail how you strip? When do you add bleach or vinegar, etc?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Darkfyre
Registered Users

The bleach can be added to either cycle. I put it in the pre-rinse so that I don't need an extra rinse to get the bleach smell out. The wash cycle may be more effective but you will probably need an extra rinse. I too have hard water and use vinegar sometimes without problem.
Why do you think you need to strip? Stripping is for removing soap/detergent build-up, really this is not your problem. Ammonia is caused by bacteria being left behind in the diapers and then reacting with urine when the baby pees. If the diapers are clean there is nothing left to create ammonia.
I too don't use Tide because of the fragrances. I use Whole Foods 365 unscented detergent. We use it on everything. What do you wash your clothes with? I would start with that.
Darkfyre is offline   Reply With Quote