Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Dazed and confuzed about ammonia...

Sounds like you might need to strip. I prefer to use Oxygen Bleach (I use biokleen brand).

I've never been really nasty so not sure if you should soak. But if my diaps were feeling unclean I would

1oz oxygen bleach in warm rinse
1oz oxygen bleach with detergent in main hot/long wash
Hot (or warm) short cycle to rinse.

Normally if I want a little boost I do:
1oz oxygen bleach in warm rinse
detergent in main hot/long wash
warm rinse

Normal routine
Warm rinse
Hot/long wash with detergent
cold rinse

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
CheleBelle84
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Chiming in because I have had the same question! How do you know that you have hard water?! That has always confused me! And so far I notice only a few inserts hold the stink, and the same "not really ammonia" smell ... it's hard to describe ... guess maybe I can strip just those few? Isn't there a blue dawn stripping recipe too?
CheleBelle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #13
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfyre View Post
The bleach can be added to either cycle. I put it in the pre-rinse so that I don't need an extra rinse to get the bleach smell out. The wash cycle may be more effective but you will probably need an extra rinse. I too have hard water and use vinegar sometimes without problem.
Why do you think you need to strip? Stripping is for removing soap/detergent build-up, really this is not your problem. Ammonia is caused by bacteria being left behind in the diapers and then reacting with urine when the baby pees. If the diapers are clean there is nothing left to create ammonia.
I too don't use Tide because of the fragrances. I use Whole Foods 365 unscented detergent. We use it on everything. What do you wash your clothes with? I would start with that.
I guess I thought ammonia was caused by detergent buildup. Good to know what causes it.

I wash our clothes in Original Tide and the little's clothes in Tide F&G. Cloth diapers in Rockin Green.
jensmyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheleBelle84 View Post
Chiming in because I have had the same question! How do you know that you have hard water?! That has always confused me! And so far I notice only a few inserts hold the stink, and the same "not really ammonia" smell ... it's hard to describe ... guess maybe I can strip just those few? Isn't there a blue dawn stripping recipe too?
Well, I thought I had moderately hard water, but I just called my water department and found out I have "very hard water". I am shocked! I guess I need to start using some Calgon. If you want to find out if you have hard water, call your water department.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
jensmyname
Registered Users
seller

So, now wondering if anyone with very hard water has had ammonia issues and if so, do you treat it differently or still with bleach and vinegar?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #16
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensmyname View Post
So, now wondering if anyone with very hard water has had ammonia issues and if so, do you treat it differently or still with bleach and vinegar?
I have hard water and we had tons of ammonia issues until we found the right detergent. I occasionally use bleach basically for my toddler's over night diapers. The ammonia is bacteria so they need to get clean. More detergent not less is what helped me. I don't use vinegar because I have not found a need for it. I use Tide Free.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:37 AM   #17
rainbowgirl28
Registered Users
seller

I had horrible ammonia problems with our fitted overnight diapers once we moved into a house where the hot water only got lukewarm. To kill it temporarily, I would go to my MIL's house and run them through a sanitize cycle with bleach.

I switched to Tide and things were better, but not perfect. I started using more Tide, up to line 2, and now the problem seems to be tamed.
rainbowgirl28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
xa109a7
Registered Users
seller

I've had luck rinsing all diapers with heavy pee (I use a sprayer). I also had luck adding a small amount (1/2Tbsp) of Hard Rock by Rockin Green in first rinse cycle.
xa109a7 is offline   Reply With Quote