Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #21
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Question extended nursers

I've got a 29 month old nurser here. She probably nurses 4 times a night: Evening, bedtime, wee hours of the morning, and just as she's about to wake up. At 12 months she was still nursing 6 times a day. Somewhere around 18 months, the nursing length dropped dramatically down from 10-15 minute sessions to 8 minutes max.

It's mostly for comfort now. She asks to nurse only when she's tired. If she's hungry and tired, I can convince her to take a snack instead of nursing. I think around 24 months was when DD stopped nursing for nutrition because that was about the time I could distract her with food over nursing. Sometimes at night, she start nursing and after a minute she changes her mind and asks for water.

Advertisement

Last edited by Shimpie; 02-15-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #22
hilaryisinked
Spring Into a New Avi 2015 Winner
sitesupporter
seller
seller

14 month old nurses every 3 hours except during the night.

My older DD was more of a fly by nurser as a toddler and just ran up and helped herself most of the day.

ETA: that's when we are at home. If we are on the go she never asks for it.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Last edited by hilaryisinked; 02-15-2013 at 06:24 PM.
hilaryisinked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
junebug2311
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd (19 months) nurses 4-5 times per day. Sometimes more.

She nurses through the night as well, but I don't know the exact number for obvious reasons
Old 02-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #24
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
18 month old dd will nurse 6-8 times a day if we're home. If we're out she will only ask if she's tired or if I hold her.

Ds3 was a self scheduled baby. From 5 weeks until he weaned at 23.3 months he nursed at 8a, 12p, 4p, and 8p. Every day. No matter what. That was entirely his own doing.

Ds2 was ff.

Ds1 only nursed morning/night from 9 months until he weaned at 13 months. He was at daycare and got formula during the day.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #25
LaughingPeaMama
Registered Users
Formerly: RedShoes
seller

also beware of the drive through snacker....i have one he'll be playing and running around like a banshee then all of the sudden comes running to me to nuse...latches for a minute...rinse lather repeat! it's hilarious unless i'm trying to get stuff done
Wife to my soulmate since 7/12/03 mom to dd 2/9/09 and ds 1/5/12 and angel baby 10/07. Infertility survivor!ISO(willing to trade my FSOT items for) snapped unpaper towels EEEEUC or NEW heavy/long mama cloth
FSOT NOTE: SMOKE FREE DOG FRIENDLY HOME. EVERYTHING IS LINT BRUSHED BUT STRAY HAIRS WILL BE FOUND. IF THIS BOTHERS YOU DON'T FSOT WITH ME PLEASE
LaughingPeaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #26
momEmac
Registered Users

My Mood:
My 14.5 mo DS nurses 3-4 times a day and eats 3 meals and a snack every day. At this point I would say its 50/50 for where he gets his nutrition. However, we have never nursed on demand. He has always had a routine and we no longer nurse to sleep. He nurses when he wakes up in the morning and from each of his naps and then before bed. If we are out of the house we just wait till we are home or just skip it all together. He just gets too distracted to nurse outside of the house!

My i-devices are out to get me, please excuse mistakes.

buildingmyhealth.my90forlife.com/
momEmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
firstbaby2011
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestra View Post
How often is you year old (or older) nursing? We aren't there yet and I was wondering what to expect. When does food take a more dominant role in nutrition? We are baby led weaning so his food intake (at nine months) is pretty minimal.
My 24 month old daughter nurses about 5-6 times a day. Occasionally she will skip sessions, but she almost never skips her morning, night, and naptime nursing sessions. She is nightweaned from about 10 p.m. to 5 a.m.
She does eat a fair amount of solids as well and loves water. She started eating more solids at around 18 mos. old.
firstbaby2011 is offline   Reply With Quote