Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We are driving across the state on Friday and won't be back home until Monday. I have a 24 month old in cloth. Dh wants to being sposies. Ds has the nastiest mush poop (because he drinks coconut milk). He poops 2-3 times a day still. I'm not sure I want to deal with poopy diapers In the car that long? Help

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tell me i can do this

I think the biggest questions is do you have enough cloth diapers to cloth diaper from Friday-Monday. Many people don't have 4 days worth of stash (plus enough to use while washing).

Also type of cloth do you use?

I would maybe use cloth if I had enough. Make sure you have a good quality wet bag, one for pee and one for poopy diapers. So you only have to look at the poopy ones again. A good quality wet bag wouldn't smell. you also could dribble some EO to help with smell if worried.

I would probably use covers with disposable inserts.. if you have enough covers to be able to have 2-3 be unusable a day. Remember you also can use pockets as covers. Just don't stuff the pocket and lay the disposable insert on top. Since I personally wouldn't have enough covers though, it would require the ability to hand wash some of them at some point.

gDiaper, Flip (BG), and GroVia all make disposable inserts. You can get the gDiaper ones from BRU if you have one around.

Are you going to be in the car 4 days? Maybe use sposies for the actual car ride to stress less and use cloth at your destination, or covers with disposable inserts. Whatever works for you.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-11-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
MIpiccolo44
Registered Users
seller
seller

My only question would be about poop-splosions. If your baby's not allergic to disposables I would use them IF he's not likely to leak a lot of poop out of them. It is a LOT worse to deal with poop on clothes every diaper change than to haul around a few days worth of poopy diapers...
MIpiccolo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

I've done a 7-day Oregon to Iowa trek with a 4 month old in cloth ... but he was breastfed and only pooped every 3 days at that time.

I have traveled a TON with him (he and I drove Oregon-Wyoming at 14 months, flew just the 2 of us every 2 weeks ages 12-18 months, drove Iowa-Oregon at 20 months ...) and really tried to use cloth whenever possible, but there's only so much a mama can do.

Honestly, I would do sposies, but add a PUL cover since sposies have more poop blowouts. You won't destroy the planet, become a bad mama, or give your kid cancer using sposies for just a few days. They also aren't any more likely to cause a rash than PUL.

Using Lanisoh as a barrier may help since you'll probably have a few poops that can't be changed as quickly as you do at home.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
abeccarelli
Registered Users
seller

If he still has mushy poo I would be more worried about blow outs than anything. We do CD on long trips all the time. I use gDiapers for out and about because I don't need a giant bag for the laundry. And while we are in the car I use the flushable inserts for her. I have to hand wash the pouches, but it is so worth knowing her clothing won't be poop stained for me. I would look into that. The disposable liners in any cover you can, and when baby poos just hand wash.
abeccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Can't you just cut out the coconut milk? Is it supposed to make bad poops?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris
Can't you just cut out the coconut milk? Is it supposed to make bad poops?
No I cannot. He is allergic to dairy and soy. We have 12 pockets, 12 econobum pf's and 12 prefolds, 6-7 covers. He goes through 6-7 day time diapers a day and 1 night diaper. We have 3 night diapers. I think we have enough diapers?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Have you tried other milk alternatives? My dd does great on almond milk. No mushy poos at all from it.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 PM   #9
Bellamoon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fancy Pansy
Have you tried other milk alternatives? My dd does great on almond milk. No mushy poos at all from it.
He is severely underweight due to food allergies. Coconut milk has the highest fat content, we deal with the poop issues. As it beats having a malnourished child
Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellamoon View Post
He is severely underweight due to food allergies. Coconut milk has the highest fat content, we deal with the poop issues. As it beats having a malnourished child
Just wanted to send you a over that one. My LO spent the past 6 months with a list of 25 foods to avoid, now we're down to 18. Soy, dairy, egg, wheat, garlic, beef, oat, rye, and a bunch of fruits and vegetables. It's such a huge struggle, I admire your determination to use cloth through this trip.

Not to hijack your thread, but our poop issues got SOOO much better when our naturopath began to address what she calls "leaky gut". I don't know if you are at all into natural medicine, and mainstream medicine says there is no such thing as leaky gut, and the allergenic-baby community tends to say naturopaths address allergies in a dangerous way ... Whatever is true, it made sense to me that his food allergies were causing severe intestinal irritation, and that irritation made things worse because he couldn't process food well.

Anyway, she started us on Biogenesis Intestinal Repair Complex, and Jarrodophilus Allergen Free probiotics. I put 1/4 tsp of the former and 1 capsule of the latter into his "milk" (half almond, half goat, with a touch of Soda Stream diet root beer syrup). After 2 weeks we started getting solid poops back on his old schedule (one every few days).

My d-future-h mastered the gluten free "chicken" (usually turkey or fish) nugget ... that has really saved us with our picky allergenic eater. If that recipe would be helpful or if there's anything else that might help, feel free to PM me.