Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #1
mbusd03
Registered Users

Vinegar. Why do some CD companies say not to use it?

Just wondering about vinegar and if there is a reason why I wouldn't want to use vinegar on my cloth diapers. Some of the laundry labels say not to add it and I'm wondering why? Can it cause repelling? Do you use vinegar? TIA

Advertisement

mbusd03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vinegar. Why do some CD companies say not to use it?

Vinegar is an acid, it doesn't cause repelling it tends to prevent it by stripping detergent residue.

The cloth diaper companies all have to come up with their rules for caring for their cloth, and their warranty rules, and there are many unknowns in what is good/bad for cloth diapers. They used to say don't use the dryer for PUL, now they often say "actually, we found out it's good for PUL to put it in the dryer".

So, I think the answer is, "some say don't use it because nobody knows for sure and they don't want to take the risk." Some companies say use enzymes and free & clear detergents, some say not to.

I use vinegar often. I don't put it directly on diapers, and I don't use a ton. Sometimes I put a cup in the prerinse if I've got a microfiber battle going on, I almost always put it in the fabric softener dispenser because it softens fabric by removing all traces of detergent.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
RockinLou
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrennaII View Post
Vinegar is an acid
as an acid it can eat away at the elastic and water-proof layers of your diapers. if you want to use vinegar, don't expect a warranty to be honored if you end up with shot elastic, leaking PUL or a leaking washing machine, because many washing machine manufacturers also advise against using it as it can damage the rubber seal of the door on a front-loading machine!
RockinLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #4
kirst
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
as an acid it can eat away at the elastic and water-proof layers of your diapers. if you want to use vinegar, don't expect a warranty to be honored if you end up with shot elastic, leaking PUL or a leaking washing machine, because many washing machine manufacturers also advise against using it as it can damage the rubber seal of the door on a front-loading machine!
This exactly. It is actually a pretty harsh acid and I have seen it ruin elastic in one soak.
kirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
allisonmartin
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinLou View Post
Wow. I did not know this and am so glad I read this. I've heard tid bits here and there saying you shouldn't use it or you should be careful with it and I never new why. So glad I haven't given it a try yet, plus DH would be so mad if it did damage to our brand new washer. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #6
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Ive personally never had damage to diapers from bleach other than some lightening.. I have however had issues with vinager affecting water proofing and wearing down elastic. Also we can't use regular vinager with out nasty rashes.. Though I can use the ACV version just not all the time.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
tricia17lee
Registered Users
seller

Also, vinegar can have a bad effect on some fabrics. I believe both hemp and bamboo can actually get stinkier with vinegar due to the reaction from the acids and the fabric. I didn't realize this until I was trouble shooting some stink issues with a bamboo fitted and the company owner told me vinegar was a no no with those fabrics!
tricia17lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
earthmama222
Registered Users
seller

Interesting. I have been using vinegar in every load directly on the diapers for 2 years and still have good elastic and PUL... And a 1 year old awesome front loader! So I havent had any probs, no, but after reading this maybe I'll just add it to the fabric softener tray.... Kinda scared me lol. But, I will tell you I've had problems with regular bleach breaking down my expensive hemp/cotton diapers so I switched to vinegar 2yrs ago and the ones that were never bleached are doing MUCH better than those that were!
What about hydrogen peroxide? Oxiclean? I've wondered about these. I use baking soda too. I dont us Borax because it is actually NOT a natural cleaner, it is very bad for your health, babies, and the environment! (I was shocked when I learned this :/ )
earthmama222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama222 View Post
Interesting. I have been using vinegar in every load directly on the diapers for 2 years and still have good elastic and PUL... And a 1 year old awesome front loader! So I havent had any probs, no, but after reading this maybe I'll just add it to the fabric softener tray.... Kinda scared me lol. But, I will tell you I've had problems with regular bleach breaking down my expensive hemp/cotton diapers so I switched to vinegar 2yrs ago and the ones that were never bleached are doing MUCH better than those that were!
What about hydrogen peroxide? Oxiclean? I've wondered about these. I use baking soda too. I dont us Borax because it is actually NOT a natural cleaner, it is very bad for your health, babies, and the environment! (I was shocked when I learned this :/ )
Links pretty please because I use 1/2 cup of borax in ever load of diapers I do.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #10
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama222
Borax is pretty safe, though recently it has a fertility warning. It would take a lot to make you sick. Regular household stuff isnt likely to cause issues.

Borax is not bad for the environment though. It is a naturally occuring substance.

The msds lists it as a level 1 substance. The same level as salt.

Last edited by ktmelody; 02-12-2013 at 12:37 AM.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote