Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Very small amounts of vinegar aren't acidic enough to hurt anything. Like I was alluding to, everything goes in moderation and there is no known safe amount so some companies just say no. But Wazoodle oks vinegar on their fabrics.

I have used vinegar for years. Our 2 1/2 year old flips are fine, the flats and hemp doublers are soft.

Maybe it's a problem with bamboo, it is extremely delicate when wet and is a rayon made from a highly chemical process.

People go around and around about Borax, there's a lot of exaggerated info out there. However it does damage fabric more quickly than any things. I prefer washing soda as a booster, and then only a Tablespoon.

I use maybe a quarter cup vinegar in the rinse of a top loader.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 12:19 AM   #12
earthmama222
Registered Users
seller

Re: Vinegar. Why do some CD companies say not to use it?

Hmmmm, I saw it on ewg.org, I'll look for links. I've read you're not supposed to breathe it at all and a little dust always goes up when I used to add it to laundry, I switched to baking soda which is equally good and feel a lot better about it
earthmama222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #13
earthmama222
Registered Users
seller

Aha found something http://www.motherearthnews.com/natur...#axzz2KlHOyCSL
It got an F on ewg's guide to safe cleaners http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/2...useholdCleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Links pretty please because I use 1/2 cup of borax in ever load of diapers I do.
For me it is not an issue of well I'm just using a little so it wont make me sick. I figure we get enough toxic exposures without having to add to it. So I use, eat, etc everything completely natural and toxin free that we can do and/or afford, it can't hurt right!? Lol. I was actually quite suprised when I found out about Borax bc I did use it too but thankfully I had eliminated it months before I got pregnant with my current pregnancy so I'm hoping it was all out of my body. It says it's developmental and reproductive concerns are high on ewg, and I trust ewg. They also have a cosmetics guide if anyone is interested
Old 02-13-2013, 01:03 AM   #14
ljeanbeans
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama222 View Post
Aha found something http://www.motherearthnews.com/natur...#axzz2KlHOyCSL
It got an F on ewg's guide to safe cleaners [url]http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/2507-20MuleTeamBoraxNaturalLaundryBoosterMultiPurposeHo useholdCleaner[/ur
Thank you for that! But, now I'm freaked. It's not something I need to use, though. But, I started using this about 1.5 years before I got pregnant. I used it to help kill insects and in laundry detergent. Bugs and mice and spiders hate it, and it seems I can never escape the brown recluse. Funny how I'm healthier now, but these used to be my problems before I started using Borax. developmental/endocrine/reproductive effects; respiratory effects; skin irritation/allergies/damage . I take amino acids now, I really think that's why I'm better.
This chemical occurs naturally in nature, but so does lead. If it's that bad, I'm terrified for my sons sake and I'm just going to use it against the brown recluse now.
ljeanbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
earthmama222
Registered Users
seller

I'm sure its way safer than chemical poisons for the spiders! I would keep using it for that, just be sure to use gloves and not breathe it in, and only use it where u have to but for other applications like the diapers maybe stick to baking soda. I think there's a reason that insects don't like it!! Lol
So does anyone know anything about using hydrogen peroxide in the diaper wash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljeanbeans View Post
Thank you for that! But, now I'm freaked. It's not something I need to use, though. But, I started using this about 1.5 years before I got pregnant. I used it to help kill insects and in laundry detergent. Bugs and mice and spiders hate it, and it seems I can never escape the brown recluse. Funny how I'm healthier now, but these used to be my problems before I started using Borax. developmental/endocrine/reproductive effects; respiratory effects; skin irritation/allergies/damage . I take amino acids now, I really think that's why I'm better.
This chemical occurs naturally in nature, but so does lead. If it's that bad, I'm terrified for my sons sake and I'm just going to use it against the brown recluse now.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmama222
I'm sure its way safer than chemical poisons for the spiders! I would keep using it for that, just be sure to use gloves and not breathe it in, and only use it where u have to but for other applications like the diapers maybe stick to baking soda. I think there's a reason that insects don't like it!! Lol
So does anyone know anything about using hydrogen peroxide in the diaper wash?
Oxyclean plus water turns into hydrogen Peroxide and washing soda! Good stuff! I wouldn't pour in the bottled kind, it breaks down too fast. Hydrogen Peroxide is very mild, even poison control told me (drank a bit on accident once) it'd just make me burp.

Thanks to the other poster for borax info. I haven't looked at the article but hadn't seen anything research based, just a lot of anecdotal screaming. I'm super cautious about chemicals, being highly chemically sensitive, and haven't noticed trouble with borax, but you never know. I use it in homemade laundry detergent, not even a teaspoon per load, but the dust gets out when I mix a batch once a month. No endocrine, respiratory, etc issues here... Aloe is more problematic in our household.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
earthmama222
Registered Users
seller

Also thot I'd post ewg's rating for baking soda http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/2...mmerBakingSoda
Note: Tide detergent got an F too Their Free and Gentle liquid got a D, the best Tide score.