Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
birdinhand
Registered Users

Re: Birth Plan?

Our plan is a family-centered birth at home with my other children and hopefully my mom and sister here (dh too, of course). I will have access to a La Bassine pool, and I don't know if I will have the baby in the water or on land -- I will have to see how it goes and how I feel. I am a swimmer and love being in the water, but I hate to have wet hair, lol. I did labor in the tub with my last two births, so I imagine I will do that again.

I thought you guys were talking "birth plans," like written, formal birth plans. I had my teaching template all ready to share .

Advertisement

birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
I thought you guys were talking "birth plans," like written, formal birth plans. I had my teaching template all ready to share .
If you'd like to share, I'm sure there's a mom or 2 in here, or on DS in general, that would see it and find it helpful! I remember writing my birth plan all out with DS1 - it was very helpful to see other ones, see the wording, the things I hadn't thought of, etc.

At this point, DH knows all my wants and needs for labor and birth, whether VBAC or c-sec, so there's not much to write out. I have been considering writing out an after birth plan, mostly for the baby, just to have to hand to the nurses so they know what we want and don't want done with baby.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #13
E_Sage
Registered Users
seller

1. Make it to the hospital
2. Get some IV narcotics
3. Push the baby out of my vagina
E_Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
USNsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinhand View Post
I'd love to see yours! It's my first birth, so I'm soaking it all up! erinph (at) gmail dot come if you wouldn't mind sending it!

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #15
birdinhand
Registered Users

I think there are great things and potentially terrible things about birth plans . This is an example I share in my classes:

We are Muffy and Biff Fluffytail, and this is our first baby. This is in larger print at the top, along with a picture of mom and partner. This helps to remind people you have a life outside of this day and this experience, and you are nie and normal . Just an FYI, if you ever have an ill child who requires a long hospital stay, a frame filled with pictures of your child happy and doing things he/she likes, is a great way to appeal emotionally to the people who will come in contact with you guys -- when we don't feel good, we don't always "behave" well...

We are new to this process and we welcome your experience and support. We would like to share our birth preferences with you: Here you are eliciting help from those around you -- most get into this field because they want to help, but in the rush of charting and caring for other patients and being human, it can be forgotten. It can be helpful to use a word other than "plan" as that seems so Type A. Here I used "preferences," but you could say wishes, desires, aspirations -- some other emotionally-appealing word.

• We want labor to begin on its own – no augmentation, no pitocin Whatever your preferences, make them succinct and to the point.

• I would like to be free to hop around during labor, so intermittent monitoring would be our ideal P.S. the picture I have at the top of this sheet is of two bunnies, lol.

• If I absolutely need an IV, we prefer a saline lock Don't start your points with negatives, like don't, no _______, never ______, etc. In life we generally figure out other ways of communicating with people besides saying, "Don't do that," or "Stop that!" Yes, we do talk to our kids that way, but with adults, it isn't the norm unless someone is going to walk into an uncovered manhole.

• Our goal is a drug-free labor/birth and we would like to explore every other option before we use pain meds Certain things your doctor needs, to know, other things your nurse needs to know. If you plan to be active in labor and everything is okay with you and your baby, your nurse needs to know this as your doctor won' be with you for as long. If you wish to avoid an induction, your doctor needs to know this, as it would never be your nurse's decision.

• We know what pain meds are available to us, and if Muffy changes her mind, we will let you know This is a frequent request with students and doula clients I have. They understand they can get drugs if they decide they need them, and they don't want the pressure of undermining of someone asking them over and over if they are ready for them.

• We wish to delay cord-cutting There is compelling evidence that delaying cord cutting is giving a baby his first stem cell transplant, and those cells can go to anywhere in the baby's body to help boost immature organs and systems.

• We are choosing to decline the antibiotic eye ointment for our babies, and we will consult directly with our midwife after birth to decide on the vitamin K shot As much of the bonding and communication during that golden hour after birth is done through the eyes, many families choose to decline the eye ointment. It is in case the mom has any STIs; if she has them and needs the ointment, then get it, if not, it is not necessary, it is a routine newborn procedure. With the overuse of antibiotics in general, many famiies are opting out of this; in my area there were never issues with this, but I have heard from women in other areas of the country where it can be hard to opt out.

We are reasonable and open to suggestion; we just want to be informed of our choices and options throughout the birth of our babies. We know this is a day we will never forget, and we hope our choices will shape how we look back on this marvelous family event. This closing helps remind your birth team this isn't just your 12-hour shift, or your 3rd shift of the week, or you 17th baby of the pay period -- it is the day you will meet your baby -- you will never forget this day.

We know women attribute two factors time anad again when they "rate" their births. One is, how supported was I? Was I being listened to? Did I feel alone? Was I being championed and loved through the process? And two, how in control was I? Not like, oh I didn't even scream control, but when push came to shove, was I given choices and options and allowed to choose? If things went a different way then I expected, did I resign my desires and dreams and say, the hell with it now, or did I ask, "What are my choices NOW?"

It isn't a matter of going down the check list of your birth plan and saying, "I got that, I got that, I got that -- I must have had a good birth."

This isn't a terrorist list of demands, and it isn't the sole means of communication with your birth team -- I advise women, unless it pertains to you being in the deepest, darkest pain of your life having a baby, leave it off your birth plan. You can tell them later, or during labor, you are planning to breastfeed. You can tell them you want your baby circ'd after the birth.

A few other things:
DON'T insinuate that your doctor of hospital does unnecessary procedures, like 'cesarean birth only if needed'

DON'T put trivialities on it, like 'I prefer to use my own pillows'; no one gives a little rat's hiney whose pillows you use.

DON'T demand things that just aren't doable, like 'No one is to enter my room without knocking and waiting for my support person to answer the door.' It is not practical in a hospital setting.

Use feeling-based words to remind people this is not just another day in your life .

Last edited by birdinhand; 02-11-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Birdinhand, I think that's great advice. I have a great relationship with my OBs and ped, and have talked with them casually about how frustrating it is to have their patients constantly questioning them because they "Googled" it. Both are open to discussing risks vs benefits of any procedure, appreciate informed patients, and are always happy to be pointed in the direction of new research to check out. I think more and more docs are feeling constantly attacked by people who don't always do the best research, ya know? Not saying all docs are great and you should never question, but sometimes I think people unintentionally set themselves up for adversarial situations. Some docs are just jerks though!
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #17
birdinhand
Registered Users

I personally never had a birth plan, because I knew my practitioners well and they knew me and what I wanted. I know for some families, though, it feels good to have that laid out there, and that's okay, too.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
Southern Momma
Registered Users
Formerly: MorrigansMomma
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, birdinhand! With my first child the hospital basically laughed at birth plans. I don't remember anyone asking me what I wanted, I remember being told what I was getting. It sucked. I got what I wanted but I had to fight for it. Not very relaxing.

The hospital has since undergone a MAJOR redo! Among other fantastic things, they now encourage a written birth plan and even send out a basic form for mom's and labor partners to fill out and have ready when the times comes. I've filled theirs out but I'm going to redo it to include some of your wording

Basically, we're going for a water birth at the hospital with a midwife, delayed cord cutting, no visitors until after our hour with baby.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
birdinhand
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Momma View Post
Thank you, birdinhand! With my first child the hospital basically laughed at birth plans. I don't remember anyone asking me what I wanted, I remember being told what I was getting. It sucked. I got what I wanted but I had to fight for it. Not very relaxing.

The hospital has since undergone a MAJOR redo! Among other fantastic things, they now encourage a written birth plan and even send out a basic form for mom's and labor partners to fill out and have ready when the times comes. I've filled theirs out but I'm going to redo it to include some of your wording

Basically, we're going for a water birth at the hospital with a midwife, delayed cord cutting, no visitors until after our hour with baby.
I am so used to Facebook, I wanted to click "like."
Old 02-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #20
bai18176
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We always write out a birth plan, if for no other reason than dh and I are perfectly clear with each other. I love your template birdinhand . I think I'm going to make one specific to a cesarean this time, although I don't anticipate using it. Mostly for dh, who will freak if that happens. He already said he won't go in w me. Someone needs to stay w the babies if that happens! I'm not about to let the hospital have free reign! Otherwise, our birth is anticipated to be at home with the midwife who delivered our last baby, quite possibly in the water, but not positive on that yet