Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #11
missemily
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have a DH that was NOT considering a large family?

I had to BEG DH for the second. Now we are on our 4th. He said just as long as I never complain about money that we will have more. He just complains that when he's doing his hobby stuff I don't keep the kids in line. But then again he is doing it in the living room...lol.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

I have a 5 year gap between number 2 and 3 because dh said he was done after 2. I always wanted more but never pressured him. When number 2 was 4 he decided he wanted more kids and we have 9 now! Lol!

I want one more but dh again says he is done. Our last one was born 10 weeks early and had major surgery to remove his upper left lobe of his lung at 6 weeks old due to a congenital lung defect. He knows I want one more and tells me he is scared to go through that again. I think he will come around though. He isn't as vocal about being done now. He was just super stessed about the whole experience and it is calmer now that he is home and doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 for now View Post
I have a 5 year gap between number 2 and 3 because dh said he was done after 2. I always wanted more but never pressured him. When number 2 was 4 he decided he wanted more kids and we have 9 now! Lol!
Your siggy made me laugh. My mom has 7 of us (with 16 years between the oldest and youngest), and LITERALLY people (including my Aunt) would ask her "Do you know what causes it?!" all snide and rude. She always said "Sure do!" and then they weren't sure what to say after that. Some people are SO rude when it comes to remarking about large families.. while I LOVE to see them! I think big families are truly amazing. There is nothing more special or bonding than a sibling.
Expecting (surprise) Baby #5 this summer.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
syfitz
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily View Post
Your siggy made me laugh. My mom has 7 of us (with 16 years between the oldest and youngest), and LITERALLY people (including my Aunt) would ask her "Do you know what causes it?!" all snide and rude. She always said "Sure do!" and then they weren't sure what to say after that. Some people are SO rude when it comes to remarking about large families.. while I LOVE to see them! I think big families are truly amazing. There is nothing more special or bonding than a sibling.
I only have four and still hear that sometimes. I started answering "Yes, and we enjoy it very much!"

They either laugh or blush.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #15
7 for now
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKzooFamily View Post
LOL!! My DH is very outspoken and has some witty comebacks. One time we were out and someone asked him if he knew what caused that and he looked right at me and said "I just can't keep her off of me!" I about died as did the woman but she left us alone after that! He will also say to someone that asks if they are all ours "Well some just started following us and I don't know who they are" He has many more and is not shy about using them!!
7 for now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
scwendy
Registered Users
seller

My DH had a one and done or two at most mentality when we met. Well, I was already a mother of 3, and we are expecting our 5th (his 2nd bio) child this month with no plans to prevent.

Honestly, once he was a married dad and we figured out a way to avoid childcare costs, he was in the more the merrier camp
scwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
SarasynFox
Registered Users

My Mood:

My boyfriend was against it at first. I had two kids from a previous marriage and he has one that he's never gotten a chance to meet. We agreed we'd have one more. After that traumatic birth experience we'd never really talked about having more. He was happy with three in the home and four if his son ever came for visitation. Then we found out about our little guy. He got all excited hoping for a girl, and now he's on board with trying once more for a girl. That would leave us with 5 kids. Right now we're both kind of worried that the chances of twins go up in our current situation, and while that wouldn't phase us, a friend of mine from high school just had her twins incredibly premature, so we're both really hoping that our next one isn't twins or we'll both be worried the whole pregnancy, but that aside, he's on board with one more, maybe two. That's a huge change from "three kids is way more than enough!"
SarasynFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My dh and I met when we were 29. He never planned on marrying let alone having kids but he married me and gained 2 stepsons and we had 2 daughters. He never would have belived it if someone told him 5 years ago he would be a sahd to 4 kids lol
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #19
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH is one of 10 (but grew up oldest of 9 with a half brother he didn't meet until adulthood) and I am oldest of 5.

When we got married he wanted 4-5 kids and I wanted 5-6. After our second, he said he was done. After our 3rd he said he was REALLY done. We're now expecting #4 and he's mentioned a possible 5th.

For him it was the stress and cost of having little kids close together that was keeping him from wanting more. He doesn't love little babies, so having 3 in less than 3.5 years was ROUGH on him. What ultimately changed his mind was looking forward to the future and thinking about his grown children, did he just want 2 or 3? Or did he want a bigger "grown up" family. In the end, he wanted it to be bigger.

We're Catholic and practice NFP, so we are always open and accepting to new life, but having him 100% on board with trying for more is something that came later.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #20
mfergy0625
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DH wanted 2. I wanted 3. We had 3 because my DH wants me to be happy lol. I would have had at least 1 more but I knew that DH compromised for me so I did the same for him