Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
coastmum
Registered Users

My Mood:
Question about ammonia burn and cleaning cloth diapers

I suspect ammonia burn on my sweet little babies bum, only because we took a break from cloth diapering for a couple weeks due to amoxicillin. Last time that happened (we took a break) when we came back to the cloth diapers my little one seems to get a really horrible rash and the diapers stink of ammonia.
I can't remember how I got my diapers clean after that. How do you get rid of the ammonia from nappies, specifically BG 3.0 pocket's? I've never tried boiling them. I have tried bac-out. I have tried bleach. I have always used multiple multiple multiple rinses. I line dry in the sun.

Any words of wisdom appreciated, Cheers!

Advertisement

coastmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

If you don't have soft water, washing soda has been best for us. 1 T with each wash that has microfiber. Other common suggestions are more detergent, baking soda or vinegar in the pre rinse, or a tad of bleach with a drop of dawn.

Baking soda and washing soda are my favorite. But it's commonly used it using enough detergent.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question about ammonia burn and cleaning cloth diapers

I find a its ussuallythey neeed a really good deep clean. I do a round with full strength detergent plus 1/3 cup bleach then rinse rinse rinse.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #4
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Question about ammonia burn and cleaning cloth diapers

just talking about this irl today... I suggested pre-rinse, mainstream detergent... let them soak every load after prerinse, and keep on rinsing until clear... (she had already tried dawn and boiling--- personally, I wouldn't boil, I'd run a sanitary cycle if I got to that point)

disclaimer- our discussion involves prefolds and the fact she's getting rid of them all together if she can't get rid of the stink. Last resort. But I would still be aggressive with pockets if you just can't use them otherwise. Those I'd wash normally- maybe 2x and with bleach and do a long bathtub soak, and wash again... with many rinses.

edit- I've had great luck with target's clean pristine.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote