Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
BreckinsMommy
Registered Users
seller

Customizing a Carrier?

I am getting a Boba 3g off FSOT to replace my Pikkolo for my chunky monkey 10 month old, super excited because I think it is going to be a lot more comfortable! However I really want to add some pretty fabric to it. Are there any tutorials on doing this? I really didn't love any of the prints that Boba sells so I would rather pick a fabric that I love and customize it.

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Spunkify
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Customizing a Carrier?

I don't think that's a good idea for the same reason you shouldn't add aftermarket products to car seats. You could be messing with the safety and functionality of the carrier if you do. You're already buying a second hand carrier, you don't know what kind of wear and tear it's been put through for certain, I wouldn't do anything else to it that could impact it's functionality or safety further. Plus, the company can't possibly guarantee it will work in a certain way or provide safety in a certain way if you mess with it.

I suggest having a site like Baby Hawk build a completely customized carrier for you. You can even send them your own fabric to use. http://www.babyhawk.com/Shop/DesignCenter/

Spunkify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
BreckinsMommy
Registered Users
seller

I feel like adding a peice of fabric to the front panel that doesn't interfere with any straps shouldn't compromise the safety of the carrier. I know that Pax Baby will add fabric for you, I was just hoping to do it myself to make it more affordable. Thought maybe someone would have a tutorial for doing so to give me some tips!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #4
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckinsMommy
I am getting a Boba 3g off FSOT to replace my Pikkolo for my chunky monkey 10 month old, super excited because I think it is going to be a lot more comfortable! However I really want to add some pretty fabric to it. Are there any tutorials on doing this? I really didn't love any of the prints that Boba sells so I would rather pick a fabric that I love and customize it.
You can easily make a slipcover for it. It won't mess with the integrity of the carrier bc you aren't altering the structure of the carrier and the "weight" of the slipcover is negligible. Look online, my neighbor made me a slipcover for my beco 4g just by tracing the body, sewing top and sides, leaving strap openings and bottom opening to slip it thru. I am a horrid sewer and I managed to make one, hand sewn for my Kozy mei tai (found under mei tai slipcover in google search) and while its not perfect, it's fine for my needs.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckinsMommy View Post
I feel like adding a peice of fabric to the front panel that doesn't interfere with any straps shouldn't compromise the safety of the carrier. I know that Pax Baby will add fabric for you, I was just hoping to do it myself to make it more affordable. Thought maybe someone would have a tutorial for doing so to give me some tips!
I agree with this. Adding a piece of fabric will not (IMO) compromise the integrity of the carrier. Really, if sewing a square onto the center panel of a carrier is going to make it unsafe, it has to be pretty darned close to being unsafe without the addition.

I've done this with my Boba. I literally just sewed the fabric on top for the center panel.

MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
BreckinsMommy
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the helpful tips!

MotherMoonPads- Did you use your machine and sew all the way through the carrier or handstitch just to the outer?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreckinsMommy View Post
Thanks for the helpful tips!

MotherMoonPads- Did you use your machine and sew all the way through the carrier or handstitch just to the outer?
Admittedly, I don't hand stitch I used my my serger to finish the edges, then I pressed them under, and then I used my sewing machine to sew it all the way through the carrier. It never changed the way it fit either.
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
BreckinsMommy
Registered Users
seller

Good to know!

I see that you live in Medford, I lived there most of my life until we moved to the Portland area about 2 years ago!