Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #1
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Crib at night?

I have a 3-week-old. She will take naps just about anywhere and we usually put her in her crib when she falls asleep and she finishes her nap there like a champ. At night, however, she really doesn't like sleeping in there. She will...eventually but only after meeting all her needs (obviously) then up to 45-60 minutes of us just standing there next to her crib/putting a hand on her belly/some sign that we're there. She can totally tell when we sneak out no matter how quiet we are. She will sleep all night on our chest on the couch (happened on accident-exhausted parents), but I know that's not a safe solution. We do not want to co-sleep. I moved the bassinet to the living room and slept on the couch last night thinking that might help but it wasn't much different. We just introduced the pacifier which helps but certainly didn't solve anything. I have had to let her cry herself to sleep a couple times when I was pumping and that didn't take long but I feel like she is too young for that? Any ideas? Anyone had a similar problem? Again, we really don't want to co-sleep. Thanks!

Advertisement

Mama to Myra (Jan '13), FPIES
callejon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Eph&Ella
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Crib at night?

I love my Arms Reach Co-sleeper mini just for this reason. It attaches to your bed and you can keep your little one right next to you. I think babies like sleeping on your chest because they have the same internal rhythm as they did in the womb. Both of my kids were that way, especially at night.
Eph&Ella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

We're not big co-sleepers either, but 3 weeks is a bit young for most babes to be separated for significant periods of time. And to let her CIO, even though I'm in no-way anti-CIO.

W/ DD, we tried the crib periodically starting about the same age. We didn't quite get there until maybe around 10 weeks? In any case, we did have DD room in w/ the bassinet. Swaddling (or a Woombie) & the soothing techniques from Happiest Baby on the Block helped us get her sleeping about 5-6hrs at a stretch by the time DP returned to work at 6wks pp. At that point, DP would nurse before we went to bed around 10-11, & DD would wake for a feeding at about 4am. DP would take her out of the bassinet to nurse, then typically co-sleep for an hour-90 min when she got up for work. I think we really tried crib sleeping at 3 wks, 6 wks, & 8 wks, but then she was getting too big for the bassinet, etc. at around 10 wks. We put her in the crib then with no problem. Since then, other than a couple times when she's been sick, she slept in the crib FT. She ended up liking her crib enough that it's been a bear getting her into a "big girl bed", as she keeps asking us to put the side back on the crib. GL!
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
somo_chickenlady
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would also suggest swaddling her. It will probably make a huge difference.

After 12 years of TTC #2, multiple miscarriages, failed infertility treatments, and two failed (not on our end) attempts at becoming foster/adopt parents in two states...we gave up. I stick around for the awesome conversation.
somo_chickenlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I do not co-sleep. Scares the crap out of me, especially with babies. My boys were just fine in their cribs from birth. The new baby not so much. She slept in the swing or car seat for the first 2 months. Then she was doing good at sleeping in her crib at night but not naps so she napped in the swing. She got really sick w/upper respitory so back to the car seat for a couple weeks. Now she is back in her crib.

My personal opinion, you need to do what works for your family.

I had a good friend whos baby slept in a Rock n Play sleeper for the first 6 months. Knowing what I know now I whish I had gotten one for DD
Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 AM   #6
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38
We're not big co-sleepers either, but 3 weeks is a bit young for most babes to be separated for significant periods of time. And to let her CIO, even though I'm in no-way anti-CIO.

W/ DD, we tried the crib periodically starting about the same age. We didn't quite get there until maybe around 10 weeks? In any case, we did have DD room in w/ the bassinet. Swaddling (or a Woombie) & the soothing techniques from Happiest Baby on the Block helped us get her sleeping about 5-6hrs at a stretch by the time DP returned to work at 6wks pp. At that point, DP would nurse before we went to bed around 10-11, & DD would wake for a feeding at about 4am. DP would take her out of the bassinet to nurse, then typically co-sleep for an hour-90 min when she got up for work. I think we really tried crib sleeping at 3 wks, 6 wks, & 8 wks, but then she was getting too big for the bassinet, etc. at around 10 wks. We put her in the crib then with no problem. Since then, other than a couple times when she's been sick, she slept in the crib FT. She ended up liking her crib enough that it's been a bear getting her into a "big girl bed", as she keeps asking us to put the side back on the crib. GL!
I'm next in line at the library for happiest baby on the block and I agree-CIO isn't really an option for us at this point, she's just too tiny! this is good info, thanks for the response-sounds like we have some brainstorming to do! And it sounds like you and your partner had/have some solid teamwork!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by somo_chickenlady
I would also suggest swaddling her. It will probably make a huge difference.
We do swaddle-didn't mention that part. Not for naps (which go fine) but at bedtime.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
callejon87
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerissa
I do not co-sleep. Scares the crap out of me, especially with babies. My boys were just fine in their cribs from birth. The new baby not so much. She slept in the swing or car seat for the first 2 months. Then she was doing good at sleeping in her crib at night but not naps so she napped in the swing. She got really sick w/upper respitory so back to the car seat for a couple weeks. Now she is back in her crib.

My personal opinion, you need to do what works for your family.

I had a good friend whos baby slept in a Rock n Play sleeper for the first 6 months. Knowing what I know now I whish I had gotten one for DD
Maybe we'll try the swing and see how that goes. Thanks for the ideas, everyone, keep them coming! (This forum is so much more helpful than my baby bump app!)

Old 02-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by callejon87 View Post
I'm next in line at the library for happiest baby on the block and I agree-CIO isn't really an option for us at this point, she's just too tiny! this is good info, thanks for the response-sounds like we have some brainstorming to do! And it sounds like you and your partner had/have some solid teamwork!
I should add that while she STTN early, DD was a lousy napper, so your experience may vary
carriek38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

dont be surprised too that just when you get it figured out she will go through a growth spurt or hit some other milestones that mess with their sleep habits.

I have learned over the years to go with the flow and whatever works so that everyone sleeps is best in our house. I try no to stress to much about "this is whateveryone else says we should be doing"

One reason I like posts like this cause you can get a bunch of different ideas. Because what works for one family may/may not work for another. There is no "only one way" to do it.