Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Organic or not?

I am SO confused. I hope it's ok to post this here.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...l-agriculture/

What do you buy organic or not organic? We have been trying to go a bit by the clean 15/dirty dozen list. In the summer, we go to the local farmer's market sometimes, or buy stuff in the grocery store that's labelled "local". I've read about CSA's too. I'm thankful we have food readily available, but am so disappointed that we don't even know what's in our "healthy" food supply

Advertisement

Last edited by mel j; 02-12-2013 at 01:52 PM.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
d_arnold
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Organic or not?

We don't eat organic. We just make sure to eat "real" food. Lots of produce, lean proteins, and whole grains.
Wife of 6 years to DH, Momma to DD (3), and expecting Baby Girl #2 in May 2015
d_arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_arnold View Post
We don't eat organic. We just make sure to eat "real" food. Lots of produce, lean proteins, and whole grains.
Same here.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
cantwaitfornumber2
Registered Users
seller

Local local local! If that means organic even better, if not then at least ur supporting a local farm!

As far as the article goes, I have a hard time believing that GMOs r good for u... Honestly I wouldn't b surprised if the author has some hand on the gmo pocket... Just my preliminary thought anyway!
cantwaitfornumber2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
mel j
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh yeah, I don't buy what he's saying about GMO's at all. Vaccines in bananas? If for real, how could stuff like that possibly be a good thing? Ugh. But, I'm not convinced he's wrong about the other stuff. I don't trust that all certified organic farms "don't use sprays" and I'm not convinced it's always healthier. I'm going to try to look into a CSA. It's just a lot to pay upfront. I know that it would probably be worth it, but we can only do so much paying upfront at once with other expenses too.
mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Organic; it tastes better aside from all the debate on pesticides and whatnot. Yes, not all organics are the same nor I really trust the USDA like FDA in terms of what should be considered as organic or not. But we try to eat the best we could. It's not like we go 100% organic on everything and anything. That would be just cost prohibitive and we'd go crazy trying to discriminate any and all non-organic food source.
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I do not trust GMO's. Period. As a person who studied plant science in college...no.

it's not a "HUGE" deal if I can't get organic. I try to do the dirty dozen but me personally, i can't taste a difference between organic and not. I do grow a lot of my own though as well though.
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
happyhats
Registered Users
seller

I don't buy as much organic as I would like, but I do my best to avoid chemicals and known gmos.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
knodceo
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_arnold
This!
knodceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
maddies.mom
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki View Post
Organic; it tastes better aside from all the debate on pesticides and whatnot. Yes, not all organics are the same nor I really trust the USDA like FDA in terms of what should be considered as organic or not. But we try to eat the best we could. It's not like we go 100% organic on everything and anything. That would be just cost prohibitive and we'd go crazy trying to discriminate any and all non-organic food source.
maddies.mom is offline   Reply With Quote