Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
A ? for moms of girl scouts

Im trying to get the girls into girl scouts. Ive emailed with the leaders of both troops but I have a question Im to embarrassed to ask them ....what do I do? I mean I take them to the meeting but then what? Do I stay? Do I leave? Dd1 would probably be just fine on her own but dd2 would lose it. Also if I need to stay then there will be times Id have the other 2 kiddos with me...if thats totally frowned upon then dd1 would just have to miss a meeting every once in a while(when dh is on call and cant keep the others) but dd2s meeting will be at 3pm, no one is availabke to watch the others at that time, and while dd1 could play on the schools playground ds(8wks) will be with me so if I cant take him then dd2 cant join......eeeeekkkk help

Advertisement

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
peep_erz
Registered Users
seller

Re: A ? for moms of girl scouts

I think it depends on the troop leader. When I was in GS none of the parents stayed. It was a quick drop off and then we were fully immersed in GS stuff with really no time to miss our parents. I have seen other troops where the mom stays for a bit and I have also seen where the mom stays but is outside or somewhere else with another child.
peep_erz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD is in a Daisy troop and we are a "mom and me" kinda troop. Siblings aren't welcome, and a parent (usually mom) has to stay. Each troop is run different, but I am a co-leader for ours, and we decided that we are not a babysitting service. We meet Sundays from 1:30-3, so most people have dads at home.

I would just ask what the arrangement is for the troop. Even if you don't gel with the troops from your elementary, you can ask your local service unit leader if there is a troop from another local school that meets when your DH could watch the other kids. Our service unit has 9 Daisy troops, so there are different arrangements that might better meet someone else's needs.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD is in Girl Scouts and I stay along with her brother. Some moms go and some stay.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
sandrc
Registered Users
seller

my DD is a brownie. they have a meeting every other friday night at 6. it lasts an hour and it's for daisies on up to juniors. all the girls are taken to do crafts and stuff whatever is in their books and the parents have the meeting. the leader goes over what is going on the next few weeks/months. any get togethers, cookie stuff or anything we need to know. parents stay (most of us do) some bring siblings most don't.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #6
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In the troop dd is in one other parent has to stay and any other parent can stay if they wanted. It is ok in my troop to have siblings there if you are staying. The leader brings her son. Most parents do drop their kids off and then pick them up at the end of the meeting.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think this is really going to be troop dependent. Our troop meets in the evenings and all the levels meet at the same time (brownies, girl scout, cadets etc). We never go with dd during the meeting, she always goes on her own but we do hang out downstairs sometimes. There are probably 10 moms who hang around and some drop off and leave. I think it just depends on the troop though. Ours has kind of a dedicated parents waiting room.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #8
Ally's Fuzzies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am a Girl Guide Leader (Canadian version of Scouts) - neither our Sparks (Daisies) or Brownies have parents who stay.

For the first meeting or two parents often kind of hang out outside of our meeting place, but not where the girls can see them. Adults that are going to stay at the meetings to help have to have their criminal record check.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #9
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Here parents don't stay. If you do you need to go through the process of the back ground check through the GS. They need any parent that does stay to have it done to keep all the other children safe. Not sure about your other kids I have 4 and the times I do stay DH keeps them so DD can have that time alone in her troop. When dh isn't home I don't go so they don't interrupt that time she has.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #10
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have moms and girls both register as scouts.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote