Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Finding OB in 3rd trimester...?

So I just don't know if I am mentally capable of giving birth at home...? DH is seriously doubting it because I am a mental mess! I am going to talk to my midwife tomorrow and see what she thinks but I just don't know. This will be our second, DHs birth was wonderful but I was so focused and happy.

My mental issues doesn't stem from birthing they are non related but very severe right now. Has anyone successfully had a homebirth knowing they aren't in the right state of mind?

Advertisement

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Finding OB in 3rd trimester...?

I don't know anything about homebirths because it wasn't something DH was willing to consider. Is your midwife able to deliver at a hospital at all? I switched Dr.'s at 26 weeks and it hasn't been terrible so far. I'm currently at 33 weeks and have been to the new office 2 times if that makes a difference. I do believe that you can just show up at the hospital and get an on call Dr. when the time comes, but I don't think I would like that route.

This is just my experience so far and if you think you can go through the homebirth go for it.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM   #3
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

No she doesn't have hospital privileges anywhere unfortunately.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #4
wisa03
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I switched OB's literally the day they induced me (long story, SO glad I escaped my crazy first OBs) but they definitely do take patients on late in the game - people move, things happen, they expect that. Don't know what kind of mental issues but if they are depression-related or anxiety-related, you're also at a slightly higher risk for lower birth weight and premature labour so it would probably be good to be in touch with an OB. I'll be honest, where I am they all do it in a "shared practice" anyway, so I only met the dude who delivered my baby the day I was induced. And it really wasn't weird, and he was skilled at what he did, so I was happy. Also, maybe your midwife could suggest a midwife who does have hospital privileges? Otherwise, maybe look at getting a doula to support you as well?
wisa03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #5
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

I switched OBs at 30 something weeks with my first baby. Someone will take you, just do your research and make sure its a practice that you like and get some outside opinions from people you can trust.
Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #6
birdinhand
Registered Users

When I signed the contract with my homebirth midwife, there was a whole section devoted to whom we would transfer care to in the event a homebirth as not possible -- in my case, it would be the midwife I originally transferred care from. Does your midwife have a doc she prefers?
birdinhand is offline   Reply With Quote