Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-13-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

I was thinking I would have her watch the Signing Time DVDs as she eats breakfast (9am ish). Then do a little Hooked on Phonics (9:30 am ish). Then have her play. Then as my DS takes a nap (noon) I would have her play some online games. Then at bedtime we would read a Magic School Bus book.

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #12
CamilikinsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Not sure if you're looking for religious or secular, but we have liked Heart of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven. I've also heard good things about Before Five In a Row and plan to use FIAR with my 5yo next year. There's also letteroftheweek.com that can be fun. We did that for a while when DD was 3.
CamilikinsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
7mom7
Registered Users

Re: Anybody homeschooling a preschooler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamilikinsMama View Post
Not sure if you're looking for religious or secular, but we have liked Heart of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven. I've also heard good things about Before Five In a Row and plan to use FIAR with my 5yo next year. There's also letteroftheweek.com that can be fun. We did that for a while when DD was 3.
♥ HOD preschool!
7mom7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for replying! I will check all those out!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
painter412
Registered Users
seller

critical thinking co.. has GREAT core books for age 3. look up mathmatical reasoning. great stuff. as for the "other"... I used All About Reading, as a primer, and now we are just practicing reading over and over.
painter412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #16
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

I wouldn't worry about grades or reporting for a long time. At this age life is learning. I do use some resources as guides and ideas though.

Slow and Steady Get Me Ready is a classic book of developmental activities. There is one activity a week for every week from birth until the fifth birthday. Because it is all developmentally based you could easily pick it up and start where your child is age wise.

I also highly recommend Flowering Baby Curriculum. There are suggested activities for each weekday, each month, twelve months of the year. It's set up by age, so 2-3 yrs, 3-4 yrs, 4-5 yrs. It's flexible, so you can do an activity whenever during the day your little one needs something. It covers a broad variety of subjects. The materials are easily found around the home or at the library. Lots of outdoor and indoor ideas covering reading, music, ABCs/pre literacy skills, math, holidays/culture,safety, fine and gross motor skills, nature studies...I've found it to be a great tool. http://watermark.currclick.com/pdf_p...984-sample.pdf is a sample of 2-3 and http://floweringbaby.com/Two_to_Three.html has more.

Hubbard's Cupboard for age two has two themes a month for twelve months of reading and crafts. http://hubbardscupboard.org/joyful_learning.html

I am also a fan of the Williamson Little Hands series of activity books, including Nature Play, Mudworks, Math Play, etc. You can find them at your library. Activities have a suggested age next to them.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 AM   #17
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

Thank you! I will definitely check out all of the suggestions!
Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #18
karlitacat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My 5-year-old daughter's bday is in November so she's still technically in preschool, but many of the things I do with her are grade K. I blog about our homeschool journey - currently doing my own version of Five in a Row (AKA FIAR). I also have blog posts about our preschool last year; each week we focused on a different letter of the alphabet. Feel free to check it out for lots of ideas and lists of resources!
karlitacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #19
Ashsmama
Registered Users
seller

Thanks! Yes, I'll check it out!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #20
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

My daughter will be 3 next month which is when I was planning on starting preschool w/ her. She seems ahead to me, so I was worrying what I would do w/ her for the next few years. B/C of her birth month, she'll be starting kindy at 5.5 years old and first grade at 6.5 and I was a little panicky since I don't want to teach her too much which will mess her up if she goes to public school later, yet she's already hit a bunch of kindergarten milestones. So, what I decided to do was reinforce what she does know (she knows letters and their sounds, but I can read her books that focus on one letter sound each and do worksheets where you circle a specific letter) and teach her new things that will not push her further along in school (like Spanish) and teach her some extras that will utilize her brain w/o being too academic (helping me with vegetable garden, baking, going on field trips, self-care). I've also been taking notes like crazy and trying to plan ahead b/c I don't want to do too much in the next year, then start her on kindergarten stuff early just b/c we're bored. Lastly, I'm really prioritizing social interactions since my daughter is a little behind in that area and even though I'm a playful mom, I'm not nearly as cool as different kids can be. So, rather than having 3 days of 'school' activities planned, we'll have a day with friends and she'll have 2 days at day care (which does some academic stuff, too), until I can find a way to work from home more. Basically, I'm trying to balance my type A personality and accompanying desire to encourage my daughter's inner genius :0) with my desire to give my daughter a relaxed, enjoyable childhood that isn't too focused on responsibilities and rigid schedules.

ETA: I also printed a couple of different lists of developmental milestones so that I can make sure we're working on everything (such as riding a tricycle) and not just what I think of off the top of my head (phonics, counting).
Slave to my

Last edited by TypeAMom; 02-18-2013 at 02:07 PM.
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote