Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
ulawolf
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss squish View Post
So waiting a little longer before changing anything else. Another month or two at least before trying to increase his solid food intake.

I used to think I liked the BLW philosophy about food under 1, but ds has other ideas. The kid EATS. He's not gagging down purées he's eating our dinner usually, he eats most everything we put in front of him and asks for more. Now that he's got top and bottom teeth he's eating even more. I let him eat until he's full, I figure if he's interested in eating that much then he is probably that hungry for it.
Yep. My almost 10month old ate broccoli and beef right off my plate tonight . I had to fight for my food. Lol

Advertisement

ulawolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #12
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: When to offer food

I worry about gagging but want to do BLW so bad. I allow DS to eat what is on my plate. He had some chicken the other night. I have baby food for him too. I have to get better about giving it to him. He is primarily on the boob for all his nutrition. He does not need baby food but is interested in it, so I am going to start to give it to him more. He is over 10 months now, so I think he is ready now to eat with the big boys. When I take bites he will open his mouth and put his lips to mine and lick them to taste what I have like a baby bird.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #13
Belbaby3728
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l View Post
I worry about gagging but want to do BLW so bad. I allow DS to eat what is on my plate. He had some chicken the other night. I have baby food for him too. I have to get better about giving it to him. He is primarily on the boob for all his nutrition. He does not need baby food but is interested in it, so I am going to start to give it to him more. He is over 10 months now, so I think he is ready now to eat with the big boys. When I take bites he will open his mouth and put his lips to mine and lick them to taste what I have like a baby bird.
I found my dd gags worse with pures, even when they are "real" food not baby food like mashed potatoes, squash. She hates the texture... sorry little off topic
Belbaby3728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:38 PM   #14
Miss squish
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_Kimmie_l
Honestly there was quite a bit of gagging at first, but never once did he choke. It took some experimenting to find the right sizes, textures, and consistency of what I offered him - he loves
Butternut squash, but it took practice to figure how to cut it and cook it so he could chew it well but not so mushy it would smoosh when he tried to pick it up.
I also let him refine his motor skills and ability
To get the food to his face with happy baby puffs. They melt if not chewed so no danger of him choking. He went from getting about one puff per handful in his mouth at 5 1/2 months to pincer grasp by 7 months.