Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
mel j
Registered Users
My Mood:
Phytic acid

Just came across this:

Do you soak your beans/nuts/seeds/grains?

mel j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Phytic acid

Thank you for the article! I tried to avoid straight cooked beans and but didn't know the effects with nuts/seeds/grains. Will have to read this further later...
PBAki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
Registered Users

Im trying to find a healthy medium with all this. I do my beans in the crockpotso personally I feel pretty comfortable with that. I am going to add a touch of lemon juice or vinegar to them from now on. We don't eat beans more than once a week, and usually less than that. I am going to start soaking rice since its more of a staple, and I want to experiment with siaking oats when I maje baked oatmeal. We are switching to sourdough bread, something I want to start trying to make. Im actually pretty comfortable with my organic whole wheat flour for baking, my cocoa, and my nuts. I akso think the adding if high quality fats is more important than soaking everything in sight. Im trying to add homemade broths.

I want to increase my nutrition intake, and I have been feeling the need to better my health, but Ill never be purist for any one food movement. At the end of the day I think cutting out preservatives and eating high quality, wholesome foods is the true ticket.
happyhats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
Registered Users

I soak grains and nuts. We don't eat legumes. The soaked/dehydrated almonds taste really, really good, nicer than raw, with lots of crunch. I soak rice, if I make pancakes I soak those, I soak oats for making porridge for the kids sometimes, I buy sourdough bread so the soaking is done for me

I don't eat grains myself but I do try and soak them for the rest of the family.
Mum to 3 boys, Hunter '05, Rowan '08 and Lightning, stillborn 2011

photocat is offline   Reply With Quote