Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
Iggy_Momma
Registered Users
seller

Hard Water + Funky Dipes

Arrgh. Since we moved I can NOT get my diapers (or my clothes) "clean". I am assuming it is due to how hard the water is here. Everything has a lingering smell. My diapers don't have an ammonia smell, but they still smell like pee/poop out of the washer. Our regular clothes aren't much better. The workout load is getting stinkier and stinker each week. I use Tide F&C on our regular clothes and Tide powder on the dipes. I have used both calgon and borax, but, neither really gets me to the clean smell I want. Before moving my dipes smelled amazing out of the washer and so did our clothes. I washed dipes at my mother's house (with a water softener) a few weeks back and OMG, holy suds and clean diapers. It was heaven. I don't think it is too much to ask to have clean smelling laundry. :/

We HAVE to use an unscented soap on our regular clothes (due to allergies and skin problems) and, I would prefer the same on our diapers.

I am considering trying country save. Any other thoughts or suggestions? I am about to lose my mind.

Advertisement

Iggy_Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
MamatoGreta
Registered Users
seller

Re: Hard Water + Funky Dipes

Have you tried Calgon? It's a water softner that you add in to the wash. It worked wonders for us, we have very hard water also. I use ecos detergent now, with a new washer, and don't have as many issues. I still add calgon every couple weeks into the diaper laundry.

I've made over $250 on Swagbucks! sign up and you can too!
MamatoGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Sorry momma! We have the same problems with our clothing as well. Hard water SUCKS! And to top it off we have a FL, so we got a double whammy! Calgon helps some and we found it best to use cheaper detergent for our clothing or home made detergent. All the big brands didn't work. We are planning on buying a water softener within the next month and I PRAY that it will solve our problems. We had to stop cloth diapering our DD because of issues and now we are having a newbie, so I really want to get this problem solved!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
disbugsmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When I used tide on my diapers, they came out really funky smelling too, especially after a few washes. I have extremely hard water and I now use homemade detergent. It is borax, oxyclean (sun brand), washing soda and Zote. I don't know if you'd be able to use the Zote, because it does have scent and color in it, but it might work for you. There are other soaps you could use in place of the Zote, but I've never tried them. Good luck!
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
Iggy_Momma
Registered Users
seller

Calgon helps, a little, but nothing earth shattering. The water softener will help A LOT. When i washed at my parent's house (who have a water softener) it was wonderful and so easy. My diapers were pristine and smelled absolutely perfect.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

IF there is lots of suds than a detergent that washes out easier is needed and more warm/hot rinses. Unfortunately I don't know what that is. I have always believe (not sure where I picked this up) that liquid detergent works better with hard water. Hard water doesn't dissolve powder as well...
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010; Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months & LO#2 born 12/1/2013; first diaper was a tiny Swaddlebees Newborn Fitted! Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here and a newer one here. My thoughts on how to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #7
MamatoGreta
Registered Users
seller

We have a water softener, but the water is so hard here that it only helps some.

I've made over $250 on Swagbucks! sign up and you can too!
MamatoGreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
Jackalopekat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We have very hard well water. We also have what our inspector said is a good water softener. The numbers on our water *after* the water softener is still moderately hard. I also have an LG He FL that we bought new a year ago (before we found out we were pregnant, CDs, and everything I found out later about hard water and laundry).

<Off topic diatribe> There's really no other way to say it - I really hate that washer! I don't think I will ever get "He" washers again if I can manage it, because frankly I have to run the thing for 3 hours to get our diapers and other laundry clean. How is that in any way efficient?

But anyway, my current routine is: cold rinse + spin, Charlie's Soap + Charlie's hard water booster prewash, Charlie's + Booster heavy duty hot wash, Rinse + Spin, Rinse + Spin, Rinse + Spin. It works well for now.
Jackalopekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
TrennaII
Registered Users
seller

You may have seen I'm a huge Country Save fan, just wanted to warn it is difficult to dissolve. It contains water softeners, which should help, but still needs to be pre dissolved a tad in warm water before adding, I'm told.

You might add a tablespoon of washing soda too, it's safer and IMO more helpful than borax. The Calgon may still help as well.

I have at times liked Biokleen Liquid too, not the free and clear or the cold water. It has a tiny fragrance but I don't notice it (and I'm extremely sensitive, we have a mostly fragrance free home). I just have to use more than recommended and it doesn't address stains well.

Bac Out may assist too, Country Save does not have enzymes.

Last edited by TrennaII; 02-14-2013 at 11:02 AM.
TrennaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Iggy_Momma
Registered Users
seller

Just thought I'd update! I got a (HUGE) box of country save and washed ALL my dipes and inserts last weekend. The amount of suds was INSANE!!! I rinsed 3-4 times I think. I have since done two loads and, both times, NO stink out of the washer!!! I can literally put my nose right into the wet (clean) diapers and nothing. Gonna keep using it and hope they continue to stay smelling fresh. Washing in an LG HE front loader - Heavy Duty, Hot water, Pre-wash, 1-2 extra rinses (all done in one "cycle") with hard water - 3/4 to 1 scoop of Country Save (*note* more than recommended amount).

Using the box of Borax up and then gonna get some washing soda and see how I like that for all the laundry. Thanks everyone! I ordered a bunch of samples of detergents as well. Interested to see if anything else works as well. Guess I am a "cloth diaper safe" detergent convert.