Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-15-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Mommy to Eli and Baby#2
Registered Users

Is a Radian the answer?

DS is 3 years old and about 33lbs, average height. DD is nearly 11 weeks and about 12lbs. We have a Chevy Cobalt. They are currently riding in a FF Britax Marathon and a Graco Snugride. We also have a Safety 1st Air Protect (which I HATE, just don't feel like it's as secure as the marathon and DS complains about the straps being uncomfortable even though I feel like they don't tighten as well as the other seat). Both convertible seats were purchased 2 years ago, so not about to expire.

I'm starting to plan for when DD outgrows the bucket seat so I can watch for deals.

Ideally, I'd like to get them side by side in the Cobalt so we can still carry a passenger. It is do-able now with Eli FF in the Marathon behind the driver (he has to be there as DH is TALL and a RF seat would make it impossible for him to drive) and Ivy in the middle.

I'm figuring on giving Ivy the marathon RF and getting Eli a combination seat. I was going to go with the Frontier but I read that it has a HUGE base. So I probably would not be able to get them in with any seating left over, right?

So now I'm thinking a Radian seat would be better. Are the Diono Radian seats good seats? Is there a Radian model you like that satisfies the following:

- will be narrow enough to puzzle with the marathon and leave room for a third passenger

- has five point harness to weight and height limits comparable to frontier

- can act as booster once he's too big for harness (although he could then get a narrow booster-only seat and Ivy could go in the Radian)

- BONUS if its shorter when installed RF than the marathon because then we could start off with Ivy in it until Eli outgrows his marathon and have more front seat room!

OR should I accept that I'm going to lose the back seat, put Ivy in the Marathon and get the Frontier for Eli?

I have a $100 gift card for the local mall, where I can find Britax at BRU but not Diono (except maybe the R100 at Sears) but if its worth it for a Radian, I'll use it for something else.

What would you do?

Advertisement

Mommy to Eli and Baby#2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Meg23
Registered Users

Talking Re: Is a Radian the answer?

I own 2 Radians and plan on getting another in a few months when my DD outgrows her chicco KeyFit. I love, love, love my radians. We have a Toyota Camrey and can fit all 3 carseats in the back. If we take out the chicco there is pleanty of room for a adult back there. The Radians are tall, so RF is a little annoying with them. But, tall also means they will fit a child longer. I dont know anything about the Frontier but it is taller than the Marathon when RF. We have a Radian RXT and a Radian120. Both can be used as boosters up to 120 Lbs and have a 5 point harness height of 57". You can go to the Diono website for the comparison chart of the two. Hope this helps!
Meg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
dressagemom
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is a Radian the answer?

I did not like RFing with our Radian. I love it FFing, though, as it has such a narrow base, and can fit in tight spaces. I have no trouble getting a good fit in the van, have used it in multiple vehicles with ease, and like that it has such high weight/height limits.

I did what you are thinking about, wrt to looking forward to the next child to use the seat. DS sat in it for about 18 months, until DD outgrew her Chicco Keyfit. DD is now almost 3, and showing no signs of outgrowing the Radian.
dressagemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
MKDMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is a Radian the answer?

I have only FF in our Radian..I have the XT I believe? I plant on buying an RXT for my son here soon..he is just too heavy and big in the snugride 30 and I end up wearing him everywhere anyway.. Although I am tempted to buy a monterey as well for my DD when she rides in my moms car.. she is almost 5 and still in her radian

Visit my Facebook Fan page or Etsy shop!http://www.mamakaydesigns.com
http://www.facebook.com/mamakaydesigns
MKDMama is offline   Reply With Quote