Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #21
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Toddler Meal Planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
That's a nice thing you're doing Andrea. I think we do a lot of what you do, but with a pre-schooler and a toddler it's second nature to have this stuff around. It's not something you just "know" though, you've got to research it, learn it through trial and error, and rely on organized ladies like you to share your knowledge.

I have a vague idea of the nutritional profile of olives, probably fat and salt, but let me tell you, my kids love them. Olives of all kinds, not just the ripe ones. Even the frou-frou garlic and pimento stuffed my husband brings home. I believe foods like olives and hummus have expanded their horizons and made them more adventurous in what they will eat.
Thanks for the kind words, Danielle.

I will have to try olives. We already have him hooked on hummus so perhaps olives aren't too far behind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMum View Post
HungryCaterpillar - I'm reading this with great interest! Thanks for posting! May I ask -- where do you find jarred tomato paste? And, what do you do with the beans/cheese/tortillas -- do you make quesadillas?

Some great ideas in here. I will probably never be a meal planner, but you've given me some new things to try like the tomato cheese sauce!! Would love to see more photos too!
I have some jarred tomato paste because I overcooked some sauce I was trying to can last year, and it turned into paste Of course, this year when I try to duplicate this on purpose I will most likely be unsuccessful. I do remember from previous shopping trips that Whole Foods was carrying a glass-jarred tomato paste that had a BPA-free lid, but I haven't purchased it in a while. My general solution for canned tomato products and BPA (if this is even why you are asking for jarred) is to not use the portion that touched the lid, and purchase the organic bulk packs at Costco.

With beans/cheese/tortillas - I just give him the beans and the chopped cheese and give him chopped tortilla pieces or strips of tortilla which he will bite. He likes to pick up beans one by one so I humor that. I was thrown what to do with the leftover nine tortillas last week as they come in twelve packs and we try to not waste food here, so I mashed up the remaining beans in a pan with a little butter (faux-refried beans?) and combined them with shredded cheese into the leftover tortillas. This made nine small burritos that I wrapped in saran, then wrapped in foil and froze for my husband to take to work for lunch when I am too lazy to prepare something for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
We did the tomato cheese sauce (does this get kind of chunky?) and pasta, broccoli, blueberries and bread... of which she ate, practically nothing. Sigh. Lunch is not her favorite meal.
Mine does not turn out chunky I whisk the living daylights out of it, though, and I use really finely shredded cheese so it melts easier.

What does the Bear like? We can't only meal plan around my B's likes! Any favorites?

Advertisement

Hungry Caterpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
What does the Bear like? We can't only meal plan around my B's likes! Any favorites?
Nothing green, although I keep trying. She loves pears and apples, we often do apples for snacks. She only seems to like eggs scrambled, although will usually eat a few bites from me. I think she's too on the go to want to eat much at one time. She adores cheese, peanut butter and crackers (if I sprinkle cheese on her pasta she eats it without eating the noodles.) Spaghetti sauce with noodles she likes, anything junky *rolls eyes.* Greek yogurt, she'll eat bits and pieces of practically everything.

Part of why I want to schedule her meal plan out more is that I'm worried that she doesn't like to eat much. She's approaching a year and a half, and I really want to get rid of the bottle, but I'm afraid that she doesn't eat enough to make that a feasible option.

Maybe I need to just do finger foods and let her eat at her leisure. But, if I give her a bowl of dry cheerios, raisins and such for breakfast or snack, over the course of a few hours she may eat two tablespoons or so.

Last edited by hbee; 03-03-2013 at 09:33 AM.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

She ate a bunch of blueberries yesterday when I had them as a snack.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #24
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Week Three:

Mon - Breakfast - Weelicious Breakfast Quesadilla http://weelicious.com/2010/09/13/breakfast-quesadilla/ (My husband will share this with B)
Lunch - Turkey, Cheese, Blueberries, steamed carrots (I brush with honey right after they come out)

Tues - Breakfast - Chobani greek yogurt, banana
Lunch - Baked beans, Cheese, Tangerine, Tortilla

Wed - Breakfast - Hard-boiled eggs, toast spread with Sunflower Seed Butter
Lunch - Silver dollar pancakes topped with cream cheese and jam, blueberries

Thurs - Breakfast - Chobani greek yogurt, pear
Lunch - Turkey, Baked Beans, Kale chips, Tangerine

Fri - Breakfast - Hard-boiled eggs, toast spread with Sunflower Seed Butter
Lunch - Chobani greek yogurt, Blueberries, steamed carrots

Sat - Breakfast - Chobani greek yogurt, banana
Lunch - Turkey, Cheese, Tangerine, steamed carrots

Sun - Breakfast - We cook a big family breakfast (omitted from shopping list)
Lunch - Odds and Ends

Snacks this week will be Weelicious Zucchini-Cheddar Bread and Poppy Seed Bread, with or without cream cheese on top. Ingredients for breads not included on shopping list.
http://weelicious.com/2012/07/05/zuc...cheddar-bread/

Shopping List:
1 tub cream cheese
5 Chobani greek yogurts (3 for breakfasts, one for lunch, one extra)
1 block organic cheese (any kind you like)
1 package organic whole wheat tortillas
1 carton organic eggs
1 loaf of organic whole-wheat bread
6 bananas
1 organic Bosc pears (the Farmer's Market here has had these)
1 package (8oz) nitrate-free turkey lunchmeat (I find this at our local Sprouts/Sunflower/Henrys)
1 package organic blueberries
1 bunch kale
3 small tangerines or a box of Cuties
1 bunch organic carrots

Leftovers from previous shopping trips:
Sunflower Seed Butter

To prepare:
Baked Beans (When I make these, we eat Baked Beans as a side for dinner, this isn't just for my toddler!)

Kale chips (I use this recipe because it's easy http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-kale-chips/)

Steamed Carrots - I steam a few carrots cut up, then brush with honey. These can keep for a few days, I heat up in the microwave as needed
Old 03-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #25
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
Nothing green, although I keep trying. She loves pears and apples, we often do apples for snacks. She only seems to like eggs scrambled, although will usually eat a few bites from me. I think she's too on the go to want to eat much at one time. She adores cheese, peanut butter and crackers (if I sprinkle cheese on her pasta she eats it without eating the noodles.) Spaghetti sauce with noodles she likes, anything junky *rolls eyes.* Greek yogurt, she'll eat bits and pieces of practically everything.

Part of why I want to schedule her meal plan out more is that I'm worried that she doesn't like to eat much. She's approaching a year and a half, and I really want to get rid of the bottle, but I'm afraid that she doesn't eat enough to make that a feasible option.

Maybe I need to just do finger foods and let her eat at her leisure. But, if I give her a bowl of dry cheerios, raisins and such for breakfast or snack, over the course of a few hours she may eat two tablespoons or so.
I have a grazer, too. Lunch takes like an hour over the course of sitting down two or three times. I was fighting it, but now if he says he's done, I take the bowls off the high chair, sit them on the counter, and try again one or two more times. It seems like every time I sit him in the high chair it resets him, he eats some, then is done again.

I wish I could help you. I don't necessarily have a picky eater as he likes things, but he also just wants to play all day. He's a really busy person, he doesn't seem to have time to eat

Try kale chips. For whatever reason, he LOVES them. I think it's because they are a weird texture, they are really crumbly and kind of melt in his mouth. When he's eaten all he wants he likes to crush them into dust.

If you head over to Thrifty and read that Jerky thread, I think I am going to try that with ground turkey soon and see if he will eat that. I'm going to make them bite sized so they resemble little dog treats and I'm hoping to get tiny bites of them into him during days he isn't eating so much.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #26
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm in the same boat, not a super picky eater, but just doesn't have time to sit.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #27
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Kenzie loves jerky of all kinds. Lately it's been goose jerky.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #28
jam's mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you so much for this. I dropped Jam off at the nanny last week with a box of frozen macaroni cheese. It was Trader Joes! But still .
Old 03-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #29
GreyMum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Caterpillar View Post
I have some jarred tomato paste because I overcooked some sauce I was trying to can last year, and it turned into paste Of course, this year when I try to duplicate this on purpose I will most likely be unsuccessful. I do remember from previous shopping trips that Whole Foods was carrying a glass-jarred tomato paste that had a BPA-free lid, but I haven't purchased it in a while. My general solution for canned tomato products and BPA (if this is even why you are asking for jarred) is to not use the portion that touched the lid, and purchase the organic bulk packs at Costco.

With beans/cheese/tortillas - I just give him the beans and the chopped cheese and give him chopped tortilla pieces or strips of tortilla which he will bite. He likes to pick up beans one by one so I humor that. I was thrown what to do with the leftover nine tortillas last week as they come in twelve packs and we try to not waste food here, so I mashed up the remaining beans in a pan with a little butter (faux-refried beans?) and combined them with shredded cheese into the leftover tortillas. This made nine small burritos that I wrapped in saran, then wrapped in foil and froze for my husband to take to work for lunch when I am too lazy to prepare something for him.
Thanks for the tip on WF tomato paste. I will check next time I'm there. I have been using pomi tomatoes or tomato sauce in a jar (and just living with the BPA lid), but haven't found a tomato paste. I guess I don't use it that often so I wasn't really missing it, and would just throw in some pomi tomatoes if a recipe called for paste.

Yes, my little one (2) loves eating beans one by one too! So cute!!

Do you tend to eat the same things for lunch? Just curious! I like that weelicious site you linked. I do think I've been there before, but not long enough to take any recipes. Their graham crackers are total cuteness!! May have to try those one day.

Oh, and that's great that you are not wasting food. That's a big problem here! Do you meal plan for dinners too?
GreyMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #30
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyMum View Post
Thanks for the tip on WF tomato paste. I will check next time I'm there. I have been using pomi tomatoes or tomato sauce in a jar (and just living with the BPA lid), but haven't found a tomato paste. I guess I don't use it that often so I wasn't really missing it, and would just throw in some pomi tomatoes if a recipe called for paste.

Yes, my little one (2) loves eating beans one by one too! So cute!!

Do you tend to eat the same things for lunch? Just curious! I like that weelicious site you linked. I do think I've been there before, but not long enough to take any recipes. Their graham crackers are total cuteness!! May have to try those one day.

Oh, and that's great that you are not wasting food. That's a big problem here! Do you meal plan for dinners too?
I tend to eat a more constructed version of what he is eating - if he is eating turkey and cheese with tortillas and blueberries, I will have a turkey sandwich or a roll up with the tortilla and have some blueberries with him. It's interesting you ask that though because it's hit me in the past couple of days that he eats significantly more food if I sit down with him and eat as well. I used to try to clean part of the kitchen while he was eating lunch, but this week I am going to attempt to sit down with him and eat during lunch to see if that makes a difference. I think eating is part of toddler social referencing much like anything else we do - I really think my kid eats mushrooms and thinks they are amazing because Daddy and Mommy loves mushrooms.

Yes, I meal plan for dinners. If I didn't, I would revert back to a portion of my life that I hated, where 4pm rolled around and I was staring at frozen ground beef or whatever was in my fridge and hoping something would dawn on me. Or worse, I would decide to make chicken parmesan and realize I didn't have a tomato sauce halfway through cooking. We are a happier family because I meal plan. I spend SO much less money too, and waste far less. I am not a vegetarian but I do respect that eating animals is something to show deference to, so we especially try not to waste any meat at all.