Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Easy homemade sunscreen

I would like to make my own homemade sunscreen. Anyone have any recipes that are fairly simple and work well?
Thanks

Advertisement

Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
jamie714
Registered Users
seller

Commenting so I can see if anyone responds. I would love to know as well.
jamie714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Easy homemade sunscreen

One of my friends uses a spray that is Vitamin C based but that needs to be reapplied almost constantly (like 10-15 minutes). I cannot remember the specs, and of course citrus as a common source of Vitamin C actually makes the skin more photosensitive. But she is convinced that zinc in any form is evil for some reason. I've never thought that the research this was based on had any substance to it.

Most homemade recipes call for a form of zinc that is not going to be at all transparent. So if you're willing to put up with that, then you may want to add some mineral oxides or cocoa to tint it a little bit.

That's all I know. This is one project that, for now, I'd just as soon leave to a company. I did make some cubes of coconut-shea-zinc to use this summer. But I am rarely outside and haven't employed them yet. If I thought I was going to be outside more and if I didn't have so many barely-expired tubes and sprays of sunscreen that I would still use around, I would buy a new product instead of making one.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 06-26-2013 at 01:19 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcita429
One of my friends uses a spray that is Vitamin C based but that needs to be reapplied almost constantly (like 10-15 minutes). I cannot remember the specs, and of course citrus as a common source of Vitamin C actually makes the skin more photosensitive. But she is convinced that zinc in any form is evil for some reason. I've never thought that the research this was based on had any substance to it.

Most homemade recipes call for a form of zinc that is not going to be at all transparent. So if you're willing to put up with that, then you may want to add some mineral oxides or cocoa to tint it a little bit.

That's all I know. This is one project that, for now, I'd just as soon leave to a company. I did make some cubes of coconut-shea-zinc to use this summer. But I am rarely outside and haven't employed them yet. If I thought I was going to be outside more and if I didn't have so many barely-expired tubes and sprays of sunscreen that I would still use around, I would buy a new product instead of making one.
Lol apply every 10-15 mins hahahah
I need something that will last at least 1-2 hrs
Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bumping for more opinions
Old 06-28-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bumping
Old 06-29-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
supermansmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not sure if you already found these, but I found these recipes when I was looking around. I have been wanting to try them.

http://wellnessmama.com/2558/natural...screen-recipe/

http://wellnessmama.com/4844/homemade-sunscreen-bars/

I like the idea of the bars, I just need to order some of the non-nano zinc.

Hope that helps in your searching
Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
debcita429
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermansmomma View Post
Not sure if you already found these, but I found these recipes when I was looking around. I have been wanting to try them.

http://wellnessmama.com/2558/natural...screen-recipe/

Yeah, variations on these (some of which include mineral colorants to make up for the white zinc) are all I've seen really. Some include or switch in titanium dioxide for the zinc too. Apart from the whiteness issue, it seems to be pretty hard to keep powders at this low of a concentration from settling or otherwise mixing unevenly. For the former problem, I'm guessing it would help to use a beeswax-rich bar recipe and to immediately pop the bars into your fridge or freezer for faster setting. I also saw where someone mixed zinc and mineral powders into a natural body lotion they were already using via a food processor. The downside of that, I suspect, might be that many lotions are not water-resistant.

There are also sunscreen recipes out there that use no powders, just oils that have a little SPF and are good for the skin. These usually only have a SPF of about 5 though.

Other things I've heard: You can use zinc diaper creams (although most are petroleum based, some are not) if they do not contain photosensitizing EOs as the base for your recipe. Then you can stir mineral colorants, etc. into it. This supposedly eliminates some of the mixing problem this way, although if you are trying to water down the zinc concentration with other oils that may or may not mix any better. Plus you still have to buy a product in order to "make" this.

Sarah-B, the diaperstick you have from me would give you a good idea re: the opacity of these natural sunscreens. Although it contains arrowroot, the arrowroot is finer than the zinc and effects opacity relatively little. And that stick contains your non-nano zinc. So you may want to stroke that on your arm, try to rub it in, and see what you think of that. Let us know if you try the recipes out and what you think.

Deodorants and Diapersticks!
Pain and Sleep oil roll ons too! Inhalers for Allergies, Nausea, Sinus & Germ, Memory & Concentration, and Mood
Keep a look out for more roll on blends in the near future. 5% DS discount code at my etsy shop: DIAPERSWAPPERS5 https://www.etsy.com/shop/DJDeodorants

Last edited by debcita429; 06-29-2013 at 12:21 PM.
debcita429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #9
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermansmomma

http://wellnessmama.com/2558/natural-homemade-sunscreen-recipe/

Thanks mama I am going to try these soon
Old 07-01-2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Littlebee9702
Registered Users
seller

This is just the thread I was looking for! Thanks for sharing!
Littlebee9702 is offline   Reply With Quote