Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #121
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My new dog has an owner, wwyd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23kids View Post
I will just say that yes, indeed, spaying/neutering are part of responsible pet ownership. All of my animals have been/are. I had my dog neutered within a week of getting him.

The only exception for me is for people that are responsible breeders that aren't running puppy mills.
And this was my first post on this thread. Did you see my second part?

Advertisement

Mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #122
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmelody View Post
You can't show dogs in AKC shows unless they are intact. If they are spayed or neutered they are disqualified. I assume the same goes for dog showing in South Africa where she lives.

If you are not showing a dog then no, there is no reason to keep them intact. I showed dogs for years. Once the dog retired they were spayed/neutered and we never bred them.
Interesting, I didn't know that.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM   #123
Puppydog
Banned for 6 months for ignoring repeated request to attempt to be polite/respectful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23kids View Post
You said she's underweight in your first post. I was going off that. She's your dog, do whatever you want. But I feel you are being too defensive. I'm not psychic, and was just going by what you stated. Maybe my reading comprehension is off. I worked 4 12's this weekend and I have a bad head cold. Took care of a fresh kidney transplant patient the past 2 nights and was in the room every 30 minutes doing stuff. I'm beat, and only managed a 2 hour nap this morning. So, I admit I'm impaired at this point.
YES. And THEN I explained that I SHOULD have said for a pet owner. You quoted that post.

Typing on a phone at works makes for condensed posts.

Anyway, out of respect for the OP I have started a new thread. Feel free to head over there to ask me questions.

Oh. BTW. I'm not defensive, just trying to educated on a subject I feel strongly about.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:11 PM   #124
Mom23kids
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppydog View Post
YES. And THEN I explained that I SHOULD have said for a pet owner. You quoted that post.

Typing on a phone at works makes for condensed posts.

Anyway, out of respect for the OP I have started a new thread. Feel free to head over there to ask me questions.

Oh. BTW. I'm not defensive, just trying to educated on a subject I feel strongly about.
Ok. Good luck with your new thread and the breeding.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #125
Fitter
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OP I would keep her. I completely agree with keen on this one
Old 02-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #126
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

OP, your situation could be seen so fatedly/almost romantically & you're the heroine!!

I can imagine the movie: The original owners get back from vacation - where their dog-sitter breaks down in tears, too late for their puppy to be saved from the center as it's past the kill-date! Then all of a sudden they discover that some wonderful souls adopted their poor pup & it's alive!! ...only to discover that it's just like their last pup and they are already attached. So much love, and just one pup!

Keep us posted. Personally, I hope you & your family come through as the heroes of the story and are rewarded with another rescue pup whose fate is meant just for you even more so!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #127
azsuma1
Registered Users

My Mood:

If she has an owner, then she is not yours to keep.
The owner left the dog with a trusted individual, who messed up. When the owner returned, she tried to get her dog back. Whether or not she would have been euthanized is moot, because she was not. I would be devastated if someone refused to give me back my beloved dog.

As for the condition of a dog's teeth, you do not know her full medical history. there may be an underlying reason that the owner has chosen not to have them cleaned.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:00 PM   #128
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

This is a hard situation to be sure. I lost a cat three years ago and I actually didn't try the shelter right away. I assumed that he would come back as he usually did. After about four days I started to panic. I put out signs with pictures on them with my information. I went in to the local vets, asked around, stalked the neighbors, etc. It wasn't until a week went by that I went to the shelter, maybe because he was a cat. I guess with a dog I might do differently but cats around here go unnoticed and generally do not end up at a shelter right away. My point is that I loved my cat very very much even though I didn't go to the shelter immediately. IF this owner was gone and the grandma didn't let her know right away, how was she supposed to know the dog was missing? However, if I found an animal and the original owner came and I had bad vibes about him/her and the animal was legally mine I would probably keep it. I know that if I found my cat after all these years in a loving family I certainly wouldn't demand him back. On the other hand I have a rescue kitty and have had him for two years. If the owner came to me now, no way would I give him back. After ten days, yeah maybe.

I just realized I am rambling. Sorry LOL Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:44 PM   #129
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'd keep her. However, if I was willing to entertain returning her, I'd be getting the vet records first to ensure that she's been receiving proper care.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #130
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
So, we got a hold of the owner. So she says someone broke into her house and stole the dog. Of course that is unlikely. She probably just got out.
She is microchiped and it either migrated or the shelter did not check. In any case she definently wants her back so I will allow her to have her back.
She did not want to have her spayed because she Wanted to breed her. We said tough ****, she will be spayed. It is actually only $85 and she will have to pay us back.
So I guess the good that came of all this is that we have stopped more puppies from entering the world.
She is a purse dog, I figured since she barks every time I put her down!
I'm sad though. She is the first dog who has looked anything like my little girl and it helped fill the hole for all of us.
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote