Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #11
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
I wouldn't automatically assume anything about the owner based on where they live, or how long it took for them to call the shelter. You said they were gone, the caretaker lost the dog? So maybe they just got back in town?

All that to say, contact the owner and take the steps to return the dog. Then you can determine if they good pet owners or not.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama
My first reaction was just keep her. But then reading the story again, the original owner may have been out of town and only just found out her pup was missing. For all you know, she's been frantically calling around, trying to find her for days. Why not connect with her yourself before making any decisions. If she took the time to track you down, she obviously cares for the pup.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
This is what I will be doing. Again, if this is a beloved dog, she will be going back. (spayed!) if this is a back yard dog who lives with 10 others (common for that area) no way.She did not track me down but luckily for her, the shelter worker remembered the dog because she knew it was going to be my personal pet. Otherwise, she probably would have had no idea where the dog was and wouldn't have taken the time to find out. I don't know how long she was out of town. I was told "a couple" but that could be 2 or 10. If her grandma did not tell her and she has been out of town this whole time, obviously there would be a lot more sympathy on my part. The shelter worker did not seem to think so. Her opinion was that this is a very small area with a small shelter. Everyone knows where the dog would go if picked up, there is no other shelters in the area. Just the one option.
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Keep dog. Responsible pet owners would not wait 10 days to find abeloved pet.

We've had this happen at the rescue we work for. The dog stayed with new family. It even went to court!!!!
Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #14
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
Id keep the dog since the dog would have been killed. and if the teeth are not in good condition, the dog was not being cared for much.
i would not feel bad if you can provide for the dog now.

would I be upset if I lost my dog? yep but I also would not wait 10 days to call on it. whether or not she was on vacation the grandma told them the dog was missing, 1000 miles away or not, I would be on the phone calling the shelters. they did not.

keep the dog. end. o. story.
Did the grandma tell the owner she lost the dog right away, or did she wait until the owners came back? I don't remember seeing that in the OP.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 PM   #15
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: My new dog has an owner, wwyd?

i dont agree w the post about meeting w them. if you decide to keep the dog could cause some major issues. I would NOT want them to know who I was or where I lived in case they get disgruntled. far too much crime out there these days...

Last edited by homebirthmom; 02-18-2013 at 02:38 PM.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs View Post
If someone already owns the dog and wants her back, you should return her.
Yes this, how could you in good conscience keep another persons dog? Wouldn't be worth it in the long run. Sorry this happened to you though
Old 02-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Was this dog chipped?
Old 02-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #18
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
i dont agree w the top post as meeting w them and then deciding to keep the dog could cause some major issues. I would NOT want them to know who I was or where I lived in case they get disgruntled. far too much crime out there these days...
I think this was directed at my post? If so, I didn't mean for OP to actually meet with them and then decide to keep the dog. If the dog is living in poor conditions, there are legal steps to take to get the dog out of the home.

I would feel much better about doing that, instead of making a lot of assumptions about someone and keeping their pet.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #19
NotLad
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

would I be upset if I lost my dog? yep but I also would not wait 10 days to call on it. whether or not she was on vacation the grandma told them the dog was missing, 1000 miles away or not, I would be on the phone calling the shelters. they did not.
It's possible they didn't have access to a phone (cruise ship or abroad) or grandma didn't tell them the dog was missing until they returned.

It's also possible that the shelter was contacted and the owners were falsely told the animal wasn't there. Happens a lot here.

I'd return the dog.
NotLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
loving my family
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmama View Post
My first reaction was just keep her. But then reading the story again, the original owner may have been out of town and only just found out her pup was missing. For all you know, she's been frantically calling around, trying to find her for days. Why not connect with her yourself before making any decisions. If she took the time to track you down, she obviously cares for the pup.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
This is what I was thinking.
loving my family is online now   Reply With Quote