Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
booty hunter
Queen of Funny Auotcorrects
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My new dog has an owner, wwyd?

I wouldn't give the dog back. It is not like it is a purse that can wait in a closet until the rightful owner is found,it is a living thing. It has been 10 days and now this animal has found a home. I understand the owners are looking for her but if the shelter would have adopted her out or killed her they wouldn't get her back anyways. Honestly after 10 days I wouldn't expect my dog back but I would be grateful she found a home who loves her instead of her dying in the street.

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHouse View Post
I wouldn't automatically assume anything about the owner based on where they live, or how long it took for them to call the shelter. You said they were gone, the caretaker lost the dog? So maybe they just got back in town?

All that to say, contact the owner and take the steps to return the dog. Then you can determine if they good pet owners or not.
Agreed. From the other side, my MIL lost our cat while we were away visiting my family. We were gone for a week. MIL alerted our shelter, animal control, called our vet and the 3 other local vets as well as the vet & rescue organization who we adopted him from. She did NOT tell us until we got back because, in her words, she didn't want to stress us out when there was nothing we could.

We came back and searched the areas, put up fliers etc. I followed up with calls and visits. It would really suck that someone would judge or think we were terrible owners due to the fact that we were on vacation and didn't even know the kitty was gone until a week later.

And to the teeth comment, our 7 year old Aussie was born without 6 teeth. His teeth are in AWFUL shape due to the fact that he is missing so many. He gets them cleaned every 6 months and still they are worn down to nubs and always look awful. We spend a literal hineyload on his mouth and I'm sure if anyone else who didn't understand his genetic defect saw them, they would think we never did anything.

Things aren't always as they seem when you leap to conclusions.
kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #23
Tris
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It's not your dog. Give it back to the owners.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #24
oregonmom
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't think I would give it back. This dog would be dead if you had not adopted it, so really it is too late to claim it now.

My FIL adopted a dog about a year ago. About 6 months ago he found out that it belong to a guy that was military and had been on a tour in Afganistan. The guy left his dog with a friend and the friend got tired of taking care of it so he abandoned it in the woods. The guy who owned the dog before is just grateful that this dog is in a loving home. My FIL and this guy have gotten together at a local dog part a few times so the guy can play with the dog.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:05 PM   #25
lisaaag
Banned at Users Request
seller

My Mood:
Keep her. You're right ten days is too long to wait to call about a dog if you care, and it would have been put to sleep if it weren't for you.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy DS forum
Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
lisaaag
Banned at Users Request
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
i dont agree w the post about meeting w them. if you decide to keep the dog could cause some major issues. I would NOT want them to know who I was or where I lived in case they get disgruntled. far too much crime out there these days...
Agreed.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #27
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezpoofs View Post
If someone already owns the dog and wants her back, you should return her.
I agree.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaaag

Agreed.

I would only be calling, they live 5 hours away
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
sojomisa
Registered
seller

I'd give it back. You should give it back.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #30
Wendylady
Registered Users

I think IF the owners are willing to both pay for the spay and drive out to pick up the dog you really should give it back. If they aren't then obviously the problem solves itself. I can't imagine people that would mistreat a dog would be willing to drive 5 hours and pay $100 to get a dog back.