Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #41
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
Let me ask this.

Where do you think your list pet SHOULD go?

Do you have ANY idea what is costs to run a shelter?

Most people who go beyond the 10day holds DO NOT want their pets. Pets can not be held indefinitely. Due to cost and due to the fact that they are not a material item. They have needs.

What happened in this situation was sad. I agree. But I am guessing this pet was not chipped. Nor did grandma look for pet. That is clear. If either of the above things took place, the pet would be with owner. What if owner was on cruise?!?? Owner should have picked a responsible pet sitter who would actually LOOK for pet. The first Step? Call shelters. Everyone knows that.

Now, let's pretend we can 'hold' a doggie until his Owner appears. Who pays that bill? Owner did not 'consent' to the fees. So they often abandon pet anyways.

This is HOW it works people. The shelter did what it could/should to SAVE a life. The previous (not rightful) should be thankful their pet lives.

And also- the term rightful is NOT the previous owner. That was proved in a court of law here. I know that case very well and it was very very similar to this case.

You can not expect anything of new owner outside of loving and caring for her new pet. I find it incredibly sad people are acting like she stole this dog. I work with lots of rescue dogs, shelters and owners turning their pets in or abandoning them.

Don't like the system? Donate money to shelters. A lot of money. So they can hold dogs indefinitely to be sure no owner appears. For that 1% chance that an owner appears after adoption.
I have to say, you make a lot of great points here. I was in the "give it back" mindset, but you swayed me. I say keep the dog!

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #42
wonton
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: My new dog has an owner, wwyd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Let me ask this.

Most people who go beyond the 10day holds DO NOT want their pets. Pets can not be held indefinitely. Due to cost and due to the fact that they are not a material item. They have needs.

What happened in this situation was sad. I agree. But I am guessing this pet was not chipped. Nor did grandma look for pet. That is clear. If either of the above things took place, the pet would be with owner. What if owner was on cruise?!?? Owner should have picked a responsible pet sitter who would actually LOOK for pet. The first Step? Call shelters. Everyone knows that.

Now, let's pretend we can 'hold' a doggie until his Owner appears. Who pays that bill? Owner did not 'consent' to the fees. So they often abandon pet anyways.

This is HOW it works people. The shelter did what it could/should to SAVE a life. The previous (not rightful) should be thankful their pet lives.

And also- the term rightful is NOT the previous owner. That was proved in a court of law here. I know that case very well and it was very very similar to this case.

You can not expect anything of new owner outside of loving and caring for her new pet. I find it incredibly sad people are acting like she stole this dog. I work with lots of rescue dogs, shelters and owners turning their pets in or abandoning them.

Don't like the system? Donate money to shelters. A lot of money. So they can hold dogs indefinitely to be sure no owner appears. For that 1% chance that an owner appears after adoption.

I say keep the dog!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #43
megenic
Registered Users
seller

I would keep the dog.

In my opinion, responsible pet owners microchip their animals and place appropriate tags on them do they can be identified. If my dog was lost he could be returned to me immediately (unless someone stole him) because of the microchip and tags.

I understand that pets get lost. But after that length of time and the fact that the dog had no ID, I would say the owners are not highly responsible.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM   #44
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Would you feel differently about keeping the dog if you didn't have it in your possession and you had already found another family through your rescue to care for the dog. Would you request that the new family give back the dog? IF no..then keep it. IF yes..give it back.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #45
maddys_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:
I'd keep it. I can see both sides and the situation certainly stinks. But with you, the dog is guaranteed a good, loving home. That's not a guarantee with the previous family.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #46
MothyrGrimm
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Let me ask this.

Agreed. The dog came in unspayed, no chip, signs of irresponsible breeding, and poor teeth quality... They didn't leave her with someone responsible enough to call a shelter when she was lost... Is legally yours... And she would have been dead if it wasn't for you... I don't see that as responsible ownership.

Last edited by MothyrGrimm; 02-18-2013 at 05:00 PM.
MothyrGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #47
linz2491
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmyann View Post
Would you feel differently about keeping the dog if you didn't have it in your possession and you had already found another family through your rescue to care for the dog. Would you request that the new family give back the dog? IF no..then keep it. IF yes..give it back.

If she was already rehomed to a different family, I would not ask the people to return her. This actually happened recently. We adopted out a dog 3 months ago. A couple weeks ago, the shelter the dog came from got a hold of us, a man was looking for the dog. His ex wife had dumped the dog at the shelter. We definently felt bad for the man and will contact him if the dog ever comes back to us, but she found a home with a wonderful and lonely retired man and were not going to make him have to make this desicion.
Lindsay, mom to intact boys Aidan 12 Roan 7 and Gabby Rose 5 :no longer breastfeeding, or cloth diapering, sometimes co sleeping, had 2 unassisted home births, but still non vaxing, unassisted home birthing and home schooling
linz2491 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #48
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotLad

It's possible they didn't have access to a phone (cruise ship or abroad) or grandma didn't tell them the dog was missing until they returned.

It's also possible that the shelter was contacted and the owners were falsely told the animal wasn't there. Happens a lot here.

I'd return the dog.
This is how I feel too. If I was gone and the caretakers lost my dog, I'd be devastated. It is possible the caretaker didn't tell til the returned.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:00 PM   #49
silvaheyes
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by linz2491

If she was already rehomed to a different family, I would not ask the people to return her. This actually happened recently. We adopted out a dog 3 months ago. A couple weeks ago, the shelter the dog came from got a hold of us, a man was looking for the dog. His ex wife had dumped the dog at the shelter. We definently felt bad for the man and will contact him if the dog ever comes back to us, but she found a home with a wonderful and lonely retired man and were not going to make him have to make this desicion.
I'd keep the dog then.. The dog would either have been put to sleep or have another family if you wouldn't have kept it so I'd treat the situation like you have done in the past.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:02 PM   #50
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhutier View Post
I wouldn't give the dog back. It is not like it is a purse that can wait in a closet until the rightful owner is found,it is a living thing. It has been 10 days and now this animal has found a home. I understand the owners are looking for her but if the shelter would have adopted her out or killed her they wouldn't get her back anyways. Honestly after 10 days I wouldn't expect my dog back but I would be grateful she found a home who loves her instead of her dying in the street.
and I vote for keep her as well.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote