Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Relocating to North Las Vegas... Advice?!

Hey mamas! Hopefully this is in the right place...

DH is military and we just word today that we will be moving. He will be stationed at Creech, but since there isn't housing on that base, we'll be looking in the North Las Vegas. Looking for info on neighborhoods, schools, activities for kids, anything really! Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly! I'm honestly a little bummed about it since we were hoping to move closer to family, but I'm staying positive! We'll be moving from Northern CA in June! TIA for any info!

Advertisement

mrs_blazen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Relocating to North Las Vegas... Advice?!

We were stationed at Nellis and North Las Vegas is nice Anything north of Craig road (runs the length of Vegas east to west) should be fine and the Northwest side of town (Summerlin) is really nice. Most of what's on the Northside is newer, especially toward the Northwest. Mt Charleston is right outside of that area and gets snow probably 2 months (if not more) a year
Old 02-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Have you lived in Vegas before?

Are you going to live on base or private housing?

I hate north Las Vegas, truthfully. I would choose the Aliante or northwest Las Vegas area if you are going to do private housing. North Las Vegas has a crime rate that I am not fond of (although it kinda sucks all around). Summerlin is very nice, but a little re spendy.

Everything in Las Vegas and north Las Vegas is super close, shopping, grocery, gas etc. our schools suck (and that's why we homeschool) there are a few good private schools though.
ktmelody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thanks for the input! We have both been to Vegas on 6-8 week TDYs through the AF, but it was in our single or pre kid days. So most of that time was spent working and partying. Lol.

We're thinking about trying to get a house at Nellis, but that would leave DH with (from what he's been told) an hour drive each way to work. But, we like the security of base and feel more comfortable with the on base school and daycare. DS will start kindy there and I will more than likely be working or going to dental hygiene school.

I'm think I'm more nervous than anything. Las Vegas seems so overwhelming!! Oh, and when I say North Las Vegas, I mean just the northern area in general. I don't know the different areas or anything. I just know it has to be more north to be somewhat close to DH's work. Does that make sense? Lol
Old 02-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_blazen
Thanks for the input! We have both been to Vegas on 6-8 week TDYs through the AF, but it was in our single or pre kid days. So most of that time was spent working and partying. Lol.

We're thinking about trying to get a house at Nellis, but that would leave DH with (from what he's been told) an hour drive each way to work. But, we like the security of base and feel more comfortable with the on base school and daycare. DS will start kindy there and I will more than likely be working or going to dental hygiene school.

I'm think I'm more nervous than anything. Las Vegas seems so overwhelming!! Oh, and when I say North Las Vegas, I mean just the northern area in general. I don't know the different areas or anything. I just know it has to be more north to be somewhat close to DH's work. Does that make sense? Lol
Yeah north Las Vegas is a different city.

Las Vegas is broken into sections. Northwest, southwest, west, east, southeast and north east. Then summerlin (which really is just west Las Vegas)

IMO I would not want to be east of the 95 in any direction, the crime is just too high.

What area will your husband be working? Do you know the cross streets? So I am assuming he won't be working on base at nellis then.

Not much takes an hour drive here unless he is going to another city. But if you have a general area I could tell you what's close and where it would be nice to live. You can Pm me.

Vegas can be overwhelming but knowing where you are and what areas are good to be in is best. There is very little reason to go to the bad areas of town because every area has what you need.

The libraries are great, and then children's museum opens next month. We have some spectacular parks and the new watermark opens this May.

There a good things in Vegas, but bad as well. Check out vegas family events website for fun stuff. N
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

He will be working at Creech AFB. Thanks so much for the awesome info! I feel like the more I know, the less intimidated I'll be!
Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs_blazen
He will be working at Creech AFB. Thanks so much for the awesome info! I feel like the more I know, the less intimidated I'll be!
Ah yes. Indian springs.

I would say look in northwest las vegas (89143 zip code area). It would only add 10 min or so from living at nellis to creech. There wont be traffic driving up that way. Traffic is only bad here on the 15 anyways.

(The 89143 area code would be much faster to creech than nellis to creech). Its right on the 95.

Last edited by ktmelody; 02-20-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Relocating to North Las Vegas... Advice?!

Nellis is on the opposite side of town and DH says its a minimum 45 minutes to Creech without traffic (about 50 miles). He recommended the Northwest side and said it wouldn't be worth it to live on base.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #9
mrs_blazen
Registered Users
seller
seller

The only reason we want to consider base is for the convenience of the CDC and a school that I feel like I'd be comfortable with. DS is only 3 but we'll more than likely be there for him to start kindy. I'd love to send him to private school, but that's not in our budget. Maybe in a couple years it will be an option. We'll also be checking the north west area, but its so intimidating to me! We currently live in small close knit community where everyone watches out for each other.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
ktmelody
No Longer Here

My Mood:
I have learned over the years that Vegas can be like a small town. It isnt all glitz and glam living off the strip. All that stuff is here but we ignore it. People live their daily lives just like other parts of the states. Crime is a big deal here in certain areas (like anywhere else) but you learn quickly where not to go.

The west and northwest valley are beautiful. Nicely kept, good shopping and some decent schools. Charter schools are gaining in popularity with more and more opening each year. So thats an option as well.

Def let me know if you need help with a certain area. I have lived all over the western part of Vegas since 2001 and have had kids and family in several local schools.

Good luck!